Jio Gigafiber rollout

What are those "select" markets? They didn't specify in the article. Also any idea if this is a 100GB/month plan or 1100GB/month plan? I wonder if they did this to not let any regulator breathe up their necks lol.

Screenshot_20180505-184506~2.png

Anyone tracking it in Pune?
Which area in Pune. Several ISPs are currently providing FTTB at better rates than JIO.
I am now using GBPS. There is Gazon in several areas. I am not so keen on the JIO Fibre now.
There was a time when I use to drool looking at the awesome plans B'lore and HYD users got. But now I am happy with what I get here.
https://www.gbps.net.in/home-broadband-services.php

Which area in Pune. Several ISPs are currently providing FTTB at better rates than JIO.
I am now using GBPS. There is Gazon in several areas. I am not so keen on the JIO Fibre now.
There was a time when I use to drool looking at the awesome plans B'lore and HYD users got. But now I am happy with what I get here.
https://www.gbps.net.in/home-broadband-services.php

I am using Gazon connection as of now. Its plans are similar to GBPS but with 50Mbps connection, which sometimes drops to 10 during peek hours. Service not so good now a days.

Don`t think GBPS is available in Pimple Saudagar / Rahatani area.

Jio Gigafiber announced for 1100 cities. Registration begin August 15.
After months of beta testing, Jio has now announced the official public launch of Jio GigaFiber. With claimed speeds of up to 1Gbps, Jio's offering is expected to be the "biggest greenfield fixed line broadband service" in the world, Ambani said. Jio Giga Fiber will be extended to homes, merchants, small and medium enterprises, and large enterprises simultaneously across 1100 cities.
Registrations for Jio GigaFiber will start from August 15 from the MyJio app and Jio.com. The company will prioritise the rollout of Jio GigaFiber in localities based on the interest it has received from registrations.

Last edited:
Is it just me or the fact that Reliance Jio seems to be using off-brand Chinese routers a bit concerning? Especially stuff like ZTE is radioactive. The company was banned by US and is (was) literally finished. Data collection about user surfing habits in their routers is pretty pervasive. And then there is Huwaei. Another company which is dangerous.

Now sure many might point out that other companies use similar equipment out of China. But given Ambani and Modi's relation I thought they might be pushed to use some Made In India stuff.

I want to raise a small concern regarding the quality and service of this Jio Fiber BB. Jio4G was great when it launched and as time and number of users piled up the speed, quality and service slowly deteriorated over time (like any Indian tech things). It's hard to say but it seems to me that Reliance has some problem managing it all. This is with LIMITED DAILY data consumption(upto 3GB/day) mind you. And the server cannot handle them all. So won't this Jio Fiber BB face a similar or worse problem? Maybe this BB subcribers won't be as many as the 4G but still it leaves room for doubts and concern (seeing as the usage limited would be in the hundreds of GB's a day!) imo. Anyone think this will go smoothly?

Is it just me or the fact that Reliance Jio seems to be using off-brand Chinese routers a bit concerning? Especially stuff like ZTE is radioactive. The company was banned by US and is (was) literally finished. Data collection about user surfing habits in their routers is pretty pervasive. And then there is Huwaei. Another company which is dangerous.
Good point. But last I heard Trump had invited ZTE again. It was in the news somewhere. Check it out.
But given Ambani and Modi's relation I thought they might be pushed to use some Made In India stuff.
Let's admit it, there is no such thing as "Made in India" stuff when it comes to a more *complicated* product.

Jio plans are quite ridiculous IMO - https://jiofiber.co.in/jio-fiber-plans/

I hope they get some sense and bring something like 300 GB a month for Rs 500 or there abouts. Otherwise the plan costing Rs 500 (+ taxes I am guessing) for 15 Mbps and 600 GB will rule the roost.

But last I heard Trump had invited ZTE again

Keyword: Trump. That buffoon had his own interests lined up, and hence he got zte out of the bad books. From what I recall, his daughter won some patents in china the same day the green signal for zte happened.

Maybe this BB subcribers won't be as many as the 4G but still it leaves room for doubts and concern

As per reports, they have only gotten to 10% of the target city's populace. Chortel gonna dig in heels and will do something fs. There will def be local cable walas as well providing truly unltd bband. But the real catch would be the DTH service by Jio. How people get to access cable tv + bband.. that will have to be managed well by Mota bhai.

Last edited:
Good point. But last I heard Trump had invited ZTE again. It was in the news somewhere. Check it out.
Trump is a retard that anyone can influence in the wrong direction. Then later on, he has cited mass tech sabotage too once his advisers actually informed him. He's the least trustworthy person in his own administration.

Back