JioPhone

Hehe, going by the response on this forum itself, i don't think anyone is interested in spending 1500 bucks on a fake-free phone which will just call and sms. No whatsapp is the killer i think for most people. and you have to pay extra for anything like tv cable and probably pack too, so it makes more sense just to get a cheap smartphone.
Rather than these, the Rs.150 per month is the deal breaker.
You pay Rs.150/month but can't enjoy the content available over internet because of the small non-touch display. If this supports wi-fi tethering then loads of people would buy this instead of the JioFi

What i think is even if they're targetting the very low end segment of the market, who are feature phone users, and plan to take jio just for the unlimited calling, will these guys spend 1500 bucks even if their monthly cost is say 100 bucks? forget the additional 4g related content, just consider calling.

Completely agree on the tethering, it would then work out to be a jiofi which can also call, which is a big limitation currently, and only solved by the calling app.

Hehe, going by the response on this forum itself, i don't think anyone is interested in spending 1500 bucks on a fake-free phone which will just call and sms. No whatsapp is the killer i think for most people. and you have to pay extra for anything like tv cable and probably pack too, so it makes more sense just to get a cheap smartphone.

Not really, we are ordering 10 pcs, and will be picking up a total of 50-100 pcs for my workplace.

Why is this an attractive proposition, even without WhatsApp?

Firstly, most people with calls to their village, use up 100-120 INR per month easily. Especially those with wives. and kids. With the 153 INR pack, with UL calls and everything, thats a good option.

Secondly, it will come with Jio Apps. granted, I dont know how we will be able to watch on that tiny 2.4" screen, but its better than nothing.

Thirdly, 153/28D - fixed billing. For most husbands, who have to give their wives/kids a phone, this is better. Let them chatter away and use FB Lite.

I've noticed that even the most low end users use whatsapp. facebook not as much. if ambani's quest to get whatsapp to develop a custom version for the phone is successful, then he's got a hit. Otherwise i don't see any jio apps eating into the whatsapp market. how many people use jiochat etc?

Dunno how fake this news is anyway: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ersion-claims-report/articleshow/59999002.cms

Jiochat will not be the killer, jiotv and jiocinema will be in the jioapps. Maybe jiomusic, but I find the app barely good.

The amount of people who will want to watch movies and TV without needing to pay up will be much more.

Thirdly, getting whatsapp to make a custom version is very easily achieved - they had it before. One of the main issues will be the end to end encryption, I believe.

Ok, you guys are getting it as a CUG replacement. Fair enough. But i still think most low end users will rather pay a bit more and get a proper cheap smartphone, even 2nd hand, which is the norm these days. The 1500 bucks is the deal breaker imo. Maybe 500 but certainly not 1500. it's too close to a 2nd hand smartphone.

For those who already have a smartphone, they're definitely not getting this.

And you're saying jiotv and cinema will drive it, but as you yourself said it's not really watchable on such a tiny screen. Besides, the data required will easily finish 1gb/day. I.e. if the 153 comes with 1gb/day in the first place. Ok, 153 comes with 500mb/day. Definitely not enough for any kind of media watching. Then spending additional bucks on data is not that demographic's MO.

My guess? A whole bunch of people will buy this thing initially due to the frenzy and PR generated by reliance. And then it will all fizzle out when people realize it ain't all that hot.

Ok, you guys are getting it as a CUG replacement. Fair enough. But i still think most low end users will rather pay a bit more and get a proper cheap smartphone, even 2nd hand, which is the norm these days. The 1500 bucks is the deal breaker imo. Maybe 500 but certainly not 1500. it's too close to a 2nd hand smartphone.

For those who already have a smartphone, they're definitely not getting this.

And you're saying jiotv and cinema will drive it, but as you yourself said it's not really watchable on such a tiny screen. Besides, the data required will easily finish 1gb/day. I.e. if the 153 comes with 1gb/day in the first place. Ok, 153 comes with 500mb/day. Definitely not enough for any kind of media watching. Then spending additional bucks on data is not that demographic's MO.

My guess? A whole bunch of people will buy this thing initially due to the frenzy and PR generated by reliance. And then it will all fizzle out when people realize it ain't all that hot.

Ah, but those who will put in the 1500 will also see it returned in 3 years. There is no need to return the device.

You and me will watch stuff in 720P at the very least, but many will not have an issue watching in 320*240 - it its akin to free.

As with other plans, its 500MB high speed and speed capping, not data capping. I dont think the capping for JioApps is at 500MB on a daily basis, its much more.

I think they will manage to get WhatsApp Lite on it :p

But they have to pay upfront. If it was a monthly emi-like thing then maybe, but the gap to a 2nd-hand smartphone is too less.

I have seen low-end people watching stuff on tiny screens, so it is possible. But those people wouldn't pony up 1500 either.

Pretty sure jio apps uses the same data, no separate quota for that. But i could be wrong. Anyone?

If they get whatsapp lite, telecom democracy is over. ;-)

Btw, i'm planning to port my vodafone to jio and scrap my jio number so i retain my old number AND have jio. No longer need vodafone as a backup. Worst case, can just get a new prepaid if required/emergency. So yeah, they are winning. along with the govt.

But they have to pay upfront. If it was a monthly emi-like thing then maybe, but the gap to a 2nd-hand smartphone is too less.

I have seen low-end people watching stuff on tiny screens, so it is possible. But those people wouldn't pony up 1500 either.

Pretty sure jio apps uses the same data, no separate quota for that. But i could be wrong. Anyone?

If they get whatsapp lite, telecom democracy is over. ;-)

Btw, i'm planning to port my vodafone to jio and scrap my jio number so i retain my old number AND have jio. No longer need vodafone as a backup. Worst case, can just get a new prepaid if required/emergency. So yeah, they are winning. along with the govt.

1500 is not that much. Actually. Not when you see what it has to offer.

Wont pony up? Those are the same guys who will also ask if they can want movies on that Jio handset if they buy it.

Jio apps? Naah, even when the 1GB is over, internet goes for a toss, but JioTV does not go full throttled. But after sometime, it does.

Already ported my other number to Jio as a primary number. Been using it for the past few days. Works nice.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the target demo. Coz i feel for the extreme low end segment 1500 is too much. And slightly above that level, people will somehow find a way to buy a smartphone. How much is the cheapest android?

I'll try the jio apps thing tomorrow. This month's broadband expired 2 days ago and i haven't renewed yet. 1 gb/day is proving insufficient even without any downloads! just the usual browsing and small whatsapp/yt clips at 480p. Maybe it's just taking time to reflect that the daily quota is over, not that jio apps aren't metered within the 1gb.

p.s. in case you don't know ssv/i-on is now at 550 bucks for 6mbps. makes no sense to get the 4m at 500. even less the 1m at 420.

There are a few reasons why I am not yet with Jio.

1. I do not want to use my phone as a hotspot for a longer period

2. 1 GB per day is not enough for Android Studio updates

Because of these reasons, I have to go for a regular broadband connection. I do not want to invest more on Jio.

Isn't major issue still with the data connectivity? Earlier it was calls, now everything seems to be fine in that aspect. But data is completely unusable here in bangalore where i stay and work... i feel like cheated after recharging it upfront. speed does not even cross 0.5 mbps :( Only good thing about jio as of now is, they made other operators to competitive :) Now i've recharged airtel 399 plan for 84 days per GB and this seems to be bit better option for now.

During ACT breakdown, i try to use jio in my home...even whatsapp wont connect :(

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the target demo. Coz i feel for the extreme low end segment 1500 is too much. And slightly above that level, people will somehow find a way to buy a smartphone. How much is the cheapest android?

I'll try the jio apps thing tomorrow. This month's broadband expired 2 days ago and i haven't renewed yet. 1 gb/day is proving insufficient even without any downloads! just the usual browsing and small whatsapp/yt clips at 480p. Maybe it's just taking time to reflect that the daily quota is over, not that jio apps aren't metered within the 1gb.

p.s. in case you don't know ssv/i-on is now at 550 bucks for 6mbps. makes no sense to get the 4m at 500. even less the 1m at 420.

Hey, let's agree to disagree about you agreeing to disagreeing about the target demo :p

Jio apps - do try.

I pay 8K yearly for 10M already since Feb.

^^ this is the whole problem with committing for a year. at the current rate it works out to 7.8k for a year. and as you go ahead it could reduce even more. so their yearly plans really make no sense. also i prefer the flexibility for travel with a monthly plan.

This should go in the scams thread. They are all doing it to make 13 recharges in a year instead of 12. A scam which everyone knows and follows and does nothing about. TRAI is the most useless regulatory body ever. If they didn't want to worry about 30-31 days, they could have even stuck to 30. But wtf is 28? And even Jio which is supposed to be anti-coai is doing the same.

Rather than these, the Rs.150 per month is the deal breaker.
You pay Rs.150/month but can't enjoy the content available over internet because of the small non-touch display. If this supports wi-fi tethering then loads of people would buy this instead of the JioFi

I don't know. We should be having a demo tomorrow at our office, lets see - its not confirmed yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1503503570][/DOUBLEPOST]
This should go in the scams thread. They are all doing it to make 13 recharges in a year instead of 12. A scam which everyone knows and follows and does nothing about. TRAI is the most useless regulatory body ever. If they didn't want to worry about 30-31 days, they could have even stuck to 30. But wtf is 28? And even Jio which is supposed to be anti-coai is doing the same.

Nothing can be done about it. Its a lost cause now.[DOUBLEPOST=1503503868][/DOUBLEPOST]
All telecos has accepted 28 days pack as a standard. Do they pay their employees every 28 days as well ?

They will just restructure it to 28 days ie existing salary * 28/31 :p

Last edited:
Hey, let's agree to disagree about you agreeing to disagreeing about the target demo :p

Jio apps - do try.

So are we agreeing or disagreeing then? :tongueout:

As expected Jio apps didn't work. I first tried before finishing my quota with tethering. Played some tv at high quality. Tethering was coming in at 1.4mbps. After exhausting the 1gb, jiotv would load like one frame of a channel, then the wheel would spin for about a minute, then play about 10 seconds. Speed showed in the miui status bar was 20-25K/s. Even tried reducing quality, same. So no, jio apps do not work independently of data quota.

Back