Just 1% of population pay taxes in India

There were different numbers two days back, only 4% file their tax. With agriculture as biggest employer, they are all exempted from paying taxes.

Tax payers are the real minority in this country.
They're treated like a minority as they don't have any say in the selection & functioning of the government which they're funding !!!

With govt taxing everything else under the sun, we should get away with income tax once for all...

Indirect taxes constitute only 18% of the total tax collection in India. Its actually lower than the Income tax collection. Majority of tax collection in our country comes from corporate taxes.[DOUBLEPOST=1462166471][/DOUBLEPOST]
There were different numbers two days back, only 4% file their tax. With agriculture as biggest employer, they are all exempted from paying taxes.

That is only referring to how many file taxes. A big chunk of them don't pay any taxes.

When i looked this up a year ago, found a document that said 37 million people in the country paid income taxes. That is 4% of the population. Because they made enough to be taxed. In China its 8%.

The TOI article says that many people are in the system but only a fraction actually pays.

It was never 4%. The last figure that I know was 2.8% which I assume is count of tax filings rather than tax payers.

People with taxable income would be at least 10~15 times more. Most auto/taxi drivers have taxable income levels. There are Daily wage workers with taxable incomes. At my work place, the cab drivers that are hired to drive us to work each evades a tax of anywhere from 2 to 5 Lac each per year

Its not just a case of people not making enough to pay taxes. Yes, there many be quite a lot of people who don't have a job at all or make enough money to have taxable income, but there are many who do have taxable income but evade taxes because they are not under the tax radar.

I read an article by either a UK or US writer, he mentioned that many ministers and other bigwigs in India show their source of income from Agriculture. Thus saving a lot on Taxes.

Back