Karnataka Elections 2018

I am totally surprised.
BJP, as a nationalist party, is supposed to respect the constitution, constitutional institutions and constitutional procedures.
They should have participated positively.

I hope BJP acts as a responsible opposition, raising the issues of public welfare and never bows in front ruling party or keeps mum like congress has been doing in parliament.

Ok why this? The Congress-JD(S) did it fair and square so what exactly does the BJP want to protest against and why?
Screenshot_20180526-120444~2.png

Farmer waivers. Yeddy said that would be his first item of business. Then they said he had to go slow. So now he is trying to get it done through other means[DOUBLEPOST=1527337148][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hope BJP acts as a responsible opposition, raising the issues of public welfare and never bows in front ruling party or keeps mum like congress has been doing in parliament.
That they will do by being their usual selves when in a opposition. PITA

BJP offered ministerial berth+cash. You can't beat that offer in politics.
Did the BJP poach any MLA's in Manipur or did they get the entire parties to ally with them in exchange for berths. There is no need for cash in this case as the berth is the vehicle

With the anti-defection law in place i don't see how any poaching is possible. A critical mass of MLA's decide they would better off with allying and the rest of the party follows along

As you already know it was reported that BJP also tried to do the same in Karnataka but it didn't work. And personally I think that they should be glad that they could carry it out otherwise it would've set such a bad precedent for the party.
There were reports that said the centre backed off as it was affecting their image for the general elections.

I never said that. Congress would've been the biggest loser in Karnataka so they had to please the would-be allies. It was different in Manipur where they only needed a few MLA's unlike in Karnataka. My assumption is Congress in Manipur thought the remaining MLA's would agree to ally with them without much effort. Remember what I said about pride and ego.
That is all.
Isn't a few agreeing to ally defecting ? And there is the no way to hide, so its instant disqualification for two years i think. Unless there is some workaround

Calling post poll alliances - Un-ethical.
The slight problem with the JDS + Congress merger is of the 37 seats that JDS won, 25 came by defeating a congress candidate. Only 8 were won by defeating a BJP candidate

So the people that voted for the winning JDS MLA heard him bash congress now find he has joined congress.

This puts these winning MLA in an awkward position vis a vis their constituents

This is one of the unknowns in this alliance, how Congress & JDS forget they ever bashed each other pre polls and get along for the term

Dont post Chetan Bhaghat's bullshit please. Guy's an a grade retard and BJP bhakt. He works overtime to normalize the Evil things BJP tries to do. Just like them, he's a product of hype and zero substance. For everything thing he says now, there is an opposite statement pre-2014.

In this case the idiot tries to muddy the water. Calling post poll alliances - Un-ethical.

I don't care much for the author or whose side he is on. I usually post anything that catches my interest. In this case, For whatever reason he wrote it or whether he really believes in that view point or not, I myself have the same perspective and consider post poll alliances to be absurd.

First of all, none of the parties have majority. so it doesn't matter anymore how many seats each got, they are all in the same boat and equally ineligible to form govt. No BJP does not have more eligibility than others by winning more seats. They are all same once they fail to pass the min 50% mark. Not much different from passing test. If pass mark is 50, it doesn't matter whether you failed by 20 marks or 1 mark.

Secondly, how and why does a post poll alliance mean combining the the wins of both parties? It is devoid of any logic. People of 38 areas voted for JD(S) more because they didn't like congress or BJP. People of 78 area voted for congress because they didn't like JD(S) or BJP. By want logic does alliance of congress and JD(S) mean that they have approval of people belonging to 78+ 38 areas. An alliance should mean that people approve both parties. That is what happens in a pre-poll alliance. People will vote only if they approve of both parties and their alliance.

I don't care much for the author or whose side he is on. I usually post anything that catches my interest. In this case, For whatever reason he wrote it or whether he really believes in that view point or not, I myself have the same perspective and consider post poll alliances to be absurd.

First of all, none of the parties have majority. so it doesn't matter anymore how many seats each got, they are all in the same boat and equally ineligible to form govt. No BJP does not have more eligibility than others by winning more seats. They are all same once they fail to pass the min 50% mark. Not much different from passing test. If pass mark is 50, it doesn't matter whether you failed by 20 marks or 1 mark.

Secondly, how and why does a post poll alliance mean combining the the wins of both parties? It is devoid of any logic. People of 38 areas voted for JD(S) more because they didn't like congress or BJP. People of 78 area voted for congress because they didn't like JD(S) or BJP. By want logic does alliance of congress and JD(S) mean that they have approval of people belonging to 78+ 38 areas. An alliance should mean that people approve both parties. That is what happens in a pre-poll alliance. People will vote only if they approve of both parties and their alliance.
I only had a problem with Chetan bhagat. But now that you mentioned it, this is exactly how parliamentary democracy functions, through alliances. What you prefer is a presidential democracy, with a 2 person race at the time of public vote for a clear majority.

People did not vote for BJP or cong, they voted for a candidate to represent them. You are supposed to check on the candidate before you vote for them. Alliances will mean that the candidate is in a better position to serve you.

#KarnatakaKurukshetra: After the I-T raid, with the sleuths not having found anything other than party hats & flags at his residence, #Congress block president #RaviGowda slams political opponents & accused them of orchestrating the raid.

Post poll alliances are un-ethical. People should be made aware of the alliances a party plans to make alliances in-case they don't have a majority before the election itself. People bias their votes based a lot on who they hate as much as they base it on who they love. The EC should take care of this. Governor should not allow alliances to form the govt unless they have declared themselves before the polls.

I only had a problem with Chetan bhagat. But now that you mentioned it, this is exactly how parliamentary democracy functions, through alliances. What you prefer is a presidential democracy, with a 2 person race at the time of public vote for a clear majority.

Not necessary that it boils down to two sides. But when govt is going to be formed by a party, people should be are aware who they are voting for.

People did not vote for BJP or cong, they voted for a candidate to represent them. You are supposed to check on the candidate before you vote for them. Alliances will mean that the candidate is in a better position to serve you.

Then dismantle the concept of political parties altogether. Let the elected representatives be the only ones that form the govt and fill various roles. Why should people who didn't even win an election be able to take up role just because they belong to a group that won the maximum seats.

And no, Alliances do not mean that they can serve you better. What good did TDP's alliance with BJP did for Andhra Pradesh for example? BJP kept back stabbing the local govt by denying funds so that they can highlight that the govt was not able to work. A.P still has agriculture to fallback on, but they are busy destroying it too. Instead of ensuring good rate for the local produce like pulses, the central govt is deliberately importing such items from outside so that the demand for the local produce is destroyed. Alliance is still a silent war till the next election. The only good for the people is that with such coalition govt's, no drastic policy changes can get passed.

In a first past the post system there isn't a solution here other than what happened

You are saying in other words that the first past the post system isn't suitable and maybe another system is required. proportional representation ? I don't support that

In germany local elections are first past the post and only at the federal level is it proportional representation

My pals who are members are of TE are complaining that too much Politics BS discussions are going on TE and they intend to avoid for the same reason.

Regulars, have to call and moderate discussions with the help of Mods.

Don't want to see TE die soon for no reason!

My pals who are members are of TE are complaining that too much Politics BS discussions are going on TE and they intend to avoid for the same reason.

They can ignore the thread. Right? Some options must be there to mute threads.

Below is a screenshot of the TE forums sections. Circled is the section where all the political discussions happen. Not exactly inundating the entire forum. People are just butthurt because the truth about their favourite politicians is being revealed, and it doesn't pain them as the perfect saints they imagined.

Untitled-1.jpg

https://swarajyamag.com/politics/between-bjp-and-majority-there-lay-internal-sabotage

• How did BJP come so far and yet fall short? The talk doing the rounds is that internal rifts snatched the majority away from the BJP.
An odd article, curious in that the same was being said abut Siddu that his own people were fighting him. BJP karnataka has infighting is no mystery, we've seen the effect last time around already. But see that was then, now is now and i was told all these rifts had been mended. The BJP was a united outfit this time.

NONE of what is mentioned in this article caught my attention to the run up. A fine grained analysis of where seats should have been won that weren't resulting in a crucial shortfall to reach a majority

Was listening to a talk about the Yogi adityanath and an interesting point was made. In states where BJP are the incumbent they declare who the CM is before the polls. In states where they aren't the incumbent they only declare the CM after the polls. The reason is simple. Political management. There are factions in the party and moment a decision is taken will work against the party because their guy wasn't chosen. This was demonstrated very well in Delhi where the BJP was routed. Shouldn't have said Kiran would be CM before the polls. It also explains why they came up short in Karnataka.

People say Congress got the popular vote. They did. The reason is clustering. You don't need tens of thousands of votes to beat another candidate. You need those votes across constituencies

That is why with 36% popular vote, BJP gets 104 and Congress only manages 78 with 37%

I also heard Congress didn't contest in all constituencies due to shortages of cadres. However BJP did. It's clear their management at the booth level is superior. That is when they aren't fighting among themselves

Saffron wave or just plain better management :)

The then opposition alleged corruption, yes that is part of it but management in the end is the ultimate decider

Last edited:

TE is not dying. It might die if people stop discussing tech & computer related topics.

Those trying to say "too much politics", need to do a fact-check.
Masses these days should develop patience to listen something which they might not agree. I wonder what happen to this country in last 2-3 years, you criticise this govt you will be attacked from all direction.
General section is for anything which one wants to discuss and not falling in tech section.

Also the irony, the people who are "supposedly complaining" are definitely checking FB/Twitter which is nothing but full of political trolls.

Masses these days should develop patience to listen something which they might not agree. I wonder what happen to this country in last 2-3 years, you criticise this govt you will be attacked from all direction.
Social media effect. Don't like some thing delete, block or ban. Everybody is a mod

Why are they complaining. Cannot delete posts and topics in a forum. This is why i prefer forums.

Old school is best school :D

Last edited:
Back