Kindle DX

HareshG

Disciple
Hello all!

I have decided to get myself a kindle dx , but i need to understand a few things.

I have a ton of books which are in chm, djvu , pdf format. As i understand only pdf is supported natively. Does any one have a clue if other formats can be read on it ? i.e. homebrew ?

What is the deal with converters for Kindle , are they any good ? i.e. one format to another.

What is the deal with DRM ? Can i check if the files i have are DRM locked or something ?

I "hope" it is straight forward to get your books onto the kindle.

Anything else i need to be aware of ? ;) ( apart from lack of wifi on the DX)

Cheers!

converters will be able to convert any format pretty fine as long as its not pdf. And pdf due to the 9 inch screen wont be much of a issue. Kindle is detected as portable storage and loading books is as simple as copy them to the drive.

PDF's are actually still an issue even on the big screen. I suggest you read a bit on the Kindle DX right there on Amazon (comments)

Yes it can read PDF's and big screen helps but its no rosy experience. You have to zoom in and out quite a bit which gets tiresome, the pics don't work well at all (forget reading comics, seriously) and you can't change text font. If you have double column pdf's(eg scientific journals with images), its not an experience you will love.

Other than that, its pretty good. But IMO, you need this size only for the pdf's and that does not work well. Not worth the extra dough.

Not sure i understand... what do you mean by "as log as its not pdf" ? I will be running converters on chm etc to convert to pdf.

General pdf's can be straight away dragged-dropped right ?

Thanks!

Well DX because of the screen size to be honest. I can not be bothered to zoom in-out-in on a 6' display. I do have a ton of technical books which i need to go through or refer , which is what i will mainly be using this for.. i was not aware pdf's are a pain on the kindle. :(

I need something easy on the eyes, so tablets are out of the picture.

Oh btw i mean the graphite v3.

^^ I know, I was looking for that functionality myself a couple of years back and trust me, DX is not the solution. Tiresome eyes on tablet anyday are better than zooming in and out on native pdf technical docs.

[youtube]Slu9WpNnFp8[/youtube]

Back