Kindle Third Gen Announced

ronnie_gogs said:
Now I am confused.... Was about to order a Nook wifi... :(
Just bought a Nook Wi-fi. I will stick with it for a while though. I dont like the no ePub support on the Kindle (mobi is a format I am not comfy with for some reason). + the fact that B&N keeps improving with software updates is in its favor.

On the other hand, battery much better on the kindle.

@techie
Battery life is not the only thing the Kindle has an advantage at. It is better at handling PDFs with pan and zoom. Nook still doesn't have an option to change the orientation, kindle does (dunno if any Nook FW is released which does this).

The only problem is the lack of epub support. Other than that, I would prefer the Kindle over the Nook any day.

hey, am in the market for a suitable e reader. Have a few queries.
1) Can kindle read my own PDFs. I would love to read my technical books on kindle if it can.
2) Can I buy books off Barnes and Nobles website and read them on Kindle? ( I am expecting no for this, coz B&N sends out an epub book, right?)
3) How is it like reading comics and graphic novels in the landscape mode? The only downside of Nook is that it cant do landscape mode.

The price for the WiFi only one is too tempting to ignore. Is anyone planning to get this piece? Also, would it be wise to wait a little longer so the price 'stabilises' a bit, considering it does with all electronics?

I pre ordered the Wifi one for $139 (kindle) + $20 (shipping) + $56 (Import fees deposit)! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

@atiamd

1. You can read pdfs, but extremely complex technical books may not render well. For the most part they do, but pan an zoom on a pdf will be a lil painful

2. Yeah, B&N sells epub books - that too DRMed. If it was non DRM, you could have converted to mobi using Calibre and loaded it on the Kindle.

3. I imagine it won't be that good because the screen is just 6 inches - but you never know. The Kindle DX perhaps will do a better job.

I'll let you know about the graphic novels when I get my hands on this baby :)

sreenisatish said:
@techie

Battery life is not the only thing the Kindle has an advantage at. It is better at handling PDFs with pan and zoom. Nook still doesn't have an option to change the orientation, kindle does (dunno if any Nook FW is released which does this).

The only problem is the lack of epub support. Other than that, I would prefer the Kindle over the Nook any day.

I hate reading PDFs on a device. Even the pan and zoom isnt very convenient that way. Will post pics of the Nook when it arrives. got it for 149$ + 20$ case + 15$ shipping.

Back