Budget 51-70k Laptop for Nephew

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi

Need a good recommendation - Laptop for my nephew
(laptops are not my area of expertise at all - so will look forward to recomendations/links from you guys)

Budget: 60-70K [not above]

Requirements:
SSD Drive a must & max ram that is possible

Not looking at : Apple products and Linux based os or AMD procs

Buying from Pune : recommend any local places in & around
(I will check with him if he is open for 'online' purchase)

About my nephew : Working for TCS & heavily into programming. Last worked on the Blackberry OS project in Canada for the past 1 year.

P.S: I blew my fuse at him for NOT picking up the laptop from Canada itself, anyways whats gone & missed out is "Gone" o_O

Thanks

Terry

Why do you think your nephew might not be into online shopping ? Are you just asking recommendation on his behalf or you planning to buy for him ?
He can go to local croma, reliance digital or vijay sales outlet to check the laptops.
Also even if he is heavily into programming would he be using his personal laptop for anything related to programming ? Because I too work in an IT company and for a fact no one works on office stuff on their personal laptop unless it is some presentation stuff.
In most cases they either have a office provided laptop or they do not work at home.
In fact I believe the main use of laptop would be movies, pics, fb etc.
Although i am assuming lot of things but I personally believe it is true.

I second @raksrules - But for the question, assuming 70K, he should keep about 20K for the SSD and the RAM and opt for a Lenovo B series machine upto 50K - he should add a mSATA SSD and replace the RAM with whatever he can get. Going for the RAM from the manufacturers may prove expensive. Plus, with Lenovo, he can opt for ADP.

Why do you think your nephew might not be into online shopping ? Are you just asking recommendation on his behalf or you planning to buy for him ?
He can go to local croma, reliance digital or vijay sales outlet to check the laptops.

He is cool with 'online shopping' & will be buying/ordering it himself.

He checked all the local stores you mentioned, however NONE of them have the specs and config that he is looking at - esp the 'mSATA ssd' drive.

and
I second @raksrules - Plus, with Lenovo, he can opt for ADP.

What is this 'ADP'

His main usage will be "SAP NetWeaver 7.4 64bit needing 8GB RAM"
-
and he has currently narrowed down to Dell - Inspiron 15z
(my only worry is that it comes with a measly 32GB mSATA ssd ........ and cost almost 80k.... he is ok with the cost).

Note: he is also cool with the 'touch screen' feature as he was used to it in Canada.

The insistence on 'ssd' was my idea to him.

Help needed @TheIndian - where did you get your Dell from and is the 15z ok.

Are there any other options with Lenovo, Asus or HP, Sony ??

Thanks

Terry

(I will have time only till Saturday to attend to him through TE, I am leaving the country on Sun morning)

Lenovo Thinkpad series, nothing else. There are many versions that you'll have to fish through to find the one you need, but a Thinkpad will suit his needs perfectly.

ADP - Accidental Damage Protection (I regret Sony does not have this, and wont be buying Sony again)

If 8GB is required for SAP - that must be minimum system requirments, so more than 8gigs is needed - say 12 or 16.

32GB might be for boosting the speed and not as an OS drive. So thats ok, but he should upgrade the SSD to 80GB at the very least and configure as boot drive.

Back