Laptops Laptop goes off intermittently

W@rrier

Adept
Hey guys,
I have a lenovo ideapad z560 , its 2 years old now.
The problem i face is that, the laptop gets overheated very fast these days, and switches itself off !
3 months back, i could easily play heavy games on this, now it shuts down in a matter of 10-15mins of gaming!
and an hour of youtube video streaming has the same effect :/

Any ideas on what this might be due to ?
I am not so keen on giving it to the lenovo service center. Is there any way to analyse the issue ?

TIA :)

for me a similar issue happened because the Heat sink fan became weaker because of dust getting into its bearings. I solved is by adding a high CFM 12V fan at the ventilation slots. Eventually I got it replaced under warranty

I tried with using it with Belkin cooling pad, with not much effect though :/
So this problem can be due to dust accumulated inside?
If so , I can clean the insides myself without getting into anyother complications right?

So , got me a jackly Screwdriver set and opened the laptop's back..
and unscrewed the fan and heat sink and cleaned it using ear buds... Scared of damaging it..
Any method i can follow to clean it better ??

Previously, My Idle Temperature was around 68-70degree Celsius :O
now,Its come down to 40 degrees.. its still a bit high though. I would like to go back to gaming :D
What else can i do ??

nah, a cooling pad won't do. You need to drastically improve airflow over your HSF to compensate.
This was my setup - the laptop should be raised a cm or so above ground, and the fan should suck air out from inside the laptop
img20120119104125.jpg

^^ wouldnt it be kinda difficult to use the laptop keyboard without hitting that fan :/

how did u power the fan ?

Thanks for the pic :)

yup, I find laptop keyboards rather unergonomic, so I was using a seperate el cheapo USB keyboard anyway
I had bought a separate 12V DC adapter. get the highest CFM fan you can get. Mine was a 7" 53cfm fan

Thats some setup you got there greenhorn :) But still how do you manage to not hit the fan with your fingers (at some point of time) and how did you make it stand at that position

Edit : late post

although tempting, i cant do this setup :(
hardly have the space for the laptop on my table..
cant think of an external keyboard !

How does thermal paste help in reducing the heat ?

i tired applying AS5 instead of the stock thermal compound. temps did go down a bit, but not much. You need to replace the stock fan - seems its kinda cheap on ebay

after cleaning the insides , the Laptop works fine now.
And i am able to play Arkham city easily, but the Temperature goes upto 70 degrees while gaming !
Will do Thermal paste next week.
Replacing fan is a costly affair :D
Will sell the laptop off in 3 months .

Get light machine oil. peel off the sticker on the laptop fan, and pour a drop into the fan bearing. Don't try wd 40 etc. you need machine oil. Try hunting in hardware shops. ask for the oil you use to lubricate sewing machines
img4990o.jpg

Same problem facing since last 6 months

Hey guys,
I have a lenovo ideapad z560 , its 2 years old now.
The problem i face is that, the laptop gets overheated very fast these days, and switches itself off !
3 months back, i could easily play heavy games on this, now it shuts down in a matter of 10-15mins of gaming!
and an hour of youtube video streaming has the same effect :/

Any ideas on what this might be due to ?
I am not so keen on giving it to the lenovo service center. Is there any way to analyse the issue ?

TIA :)

Hey Friend,

I am also facing the same problem with my Lenovo G550. I am using this laptop for the last 3 yrs. The difference is my laptop turns off even during when I'm browsing the net!! Now I am not using it for playing games though the machine has NVidia GPU installed. I tried to keep it cool by improving the air circulation below it. I even cleaned the fan and the heat sink, but no use.

So, finally I went to Lenovo Service Centre in BTM Layout, Bangalore. The guy told me that there is no issue with the hardware, its only the OS problem and he advised me to re-format the laptop to its factory default settings (my laptop came preinstalled with Win 7 Home Premium). I tried that also but just after formatting, the laptop turned off during software installation.

Right now I am not in a mood to buy a new machine.

Does any of the above mentioned solutions worked for u??
Does installing a new fan will work?

Hey Friend,

I am also facing the same problem with my Lenovo G550. I am using this laptop for the last 3 yrs. The difference is my laptop turns off even during when I'm browsing the net!! Now I am not using it for playing games though the machine has NVidia GPU installed. I tried to keep it cool by improving the air circulation below it. I even cleaned the fan and the heat sink, but no use.

So, finally I went to Lenovo Service Centre in BTM Layout, Bangalore. The guy told me that there is no issue with the hardware, its only the OS problem and he advised me to re-format the laptop to its factory default settings (my laptop came preinstalled with Win 7 Home Premium). I tried that also but just after formatting, the laptop turned off during software installation.

Nvidia Gpu is the problem here. You will need to reball that nvidia chip from a certified BGA reballing centre. Reballing can cost you around 1500-2000.

Hey Friend,

what is the config of the laptop, might be a nVidia BGA chip issue, re-balling wont help it is temp fix only

what is the config of the laptop, might be a nVidia BGA chip issue, re-balling wont help it is temp fix only

Re-balling is a permanent fix IMO, reflowing is a temporary fix. Th BGA issue is because of the lead solder being used, after a certain period of time and excessive heat (due to dust clogged vents) it becomes hard and brittle. In the re-balling process fresh new lead free solder is used.

Re-balling is a permanent fix IMO, reflowing is a temporary fix. Th BGA issue is because of the lead solder being used, after a certain period of time and excessive heat (due to dust clogged vents) it becomes hard and brittle. In the re-balling process fresh new lead free solder is used.

Re-balling is no permanent fix, i have seen in my service centre 10 out of 10 coming back within the next one hour to 6 months when the re-balling is done, 99% of the re-balling customers are dealers who take end user for a ride saying BGA ic is replaced and chargse for it, if it is personal laptop or end user i always advice for new bga chip.

you have stated,
'Th BGA issue is because of the lead solder being used, after a certain period of time and excessive heat (due to dust clogged vents) it becomes hard and brittle. In the re-balling process fresh new lead free solder is used.'

every one uses leadfree (ROHS) solder in pcb manufacturing now.i think it is mandatory from 2006 brittleness, cracking and hardening is caused by leadfree solder, where as lead solder (NON-ROHS) is more easy to handle and doesnt brittle, crack and harden as fast as leadfree.

while reballing bga chip you have not taken into account of thermal cycle it goes while removing the chip, while reballing the chip and again placing the chip on the motherboard apart from the thermal cycle while using.

we do reballing of the new bga chips to lead based solder with 2% silver before placing on the motherboard, Flux interflux belgium if8300

Back