Storage Solutions Laptop HDD Can't Be Detected

AsidXxx

Adept
So I ran into this pxerom or something can't be detected error while booting up, which basically translates to a busted HDD. It was my office laptop and understandably all of my data was on it.

The HDD has been replaced since it was within warranty, but I'd like to recover my data. A friend of mine told me to try this out - attach HDD to a 2.5" case, connect to a Mac, fire up Disk Repair and repair the HDD, and then finally take a backup of it. Is this method dependable?

Should I try a professional outlet instead?[DOUBLEPOST=1405475353][/DOUBLEPOST]Well..bump.

Last edited:
What error are you exactly getting on booting??
Does the BIOS shows any smart failure message? Or is it just your windows/mac/linux?

What OS are you into?
What are your system specs??

Unless you wont supply these details its hard to suggest.

Assuming the HDD is a SATA drive, and you have a desktop, you can use the conventional SATA data and power connectors in a desktop to connect the disk.

If the drive is not being detected in the BIOS there's nothing you can do yourself. If the drive is clicking, turn it off and don't attempt to fix it yourself. If its detected in the BIOS then boot up to windows or whichever OS and use a SMART diagnostic tool to get a read on the drive stats.

If the data is really important though, you're safer getting it done professionally.

Back