Laptop Processor Suggestion for Design Needs

jainanshal

Disciple
Hi, I am looking to gift a laptop to my sister.. Please suggest a laptop config based on following requirements,

She's an Arts (design) student and needs laptop for working on Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw, some logo making software and similar things, along with regular usage of Internet and a little office (mostly ppts).

(No animation or video work is required here)

Which of these processors will be more suitable for her work,
P6100/ P6200
i3
i5

Most probably 3gb DDR3 RAM will be used along with the selected processor on Win 7.
I don't think she will need a Graphics Card (not very sure though, suggestions?).

Budget constraint is there so wanna buy something which is just sufficient for her requirements.

Suggestions plz.. :)

If you could post the budget, then we would be able to suggest the best laptop.

As for processor, all three of them belong to the same "Arrandale" family of processors. The order of performance is P6100/ P6200 < i3 < i5. So grab the best one your budget can fit in.

As of RAM, I won't suggest anything below 4GB which is now de-facto standard.

A dedicated GPU is not necessary & I'll suggest to avoid it as it affects battery life.

@pauldmps Thanks for response..

Reason i havn't posted a budget is because each processor has its own price range, and at this point of time i want to first decide on the processor based on the requirements mentioned above.

Yes i know the hierarchy and for reference also mentioning the appx cpu benchmark scores..

P6200 ~ 1660

i3 ~ 2300

i5 ~ 2700

But the main question here is which out of these 3 is enough to meet the requirements??

I am going for 3GB RAM because majority of photo editing softwares owned are 32bit compatible only, so no point of going for higher RAM.

i think u should go for i7 quad core.
and adobe photo shop has 64 bit version too,and believe me more ram is needed on editing large photos.

Aakash said:
i think u should go for i7 quad core.

and adobe photo shop has 64 bit version too,and believe me more ram is needed on editing large photos.
He doesn't need a very high end version, his sister is a arts student and only needs to design and edit, i3 is the best if you stick to the budget. Of course as you said i7 will be the super fast, but why buy a superbike for commuting around the city?

blkrb0t said:
He doesn't need a very high end version, his sister is a arts student and only needs to design and edit, i3 is the best if you stick to the budget. Of course as you said i7 will be the super fast, but why buy a superbike for commuting around the city?
Exactly.. I am looking for the one which is just enough to fulfill the needs, nothing more.. nothing less.

Is P6200 really that inferior to i3? I could not see much diff in spec between the 2 (or may be i wasn't able to properly understand the magnitude of diff). Please throw some light on this..

Guys, so Graphics card is out of question now.. not required, right??

Intel Pentium P6200 Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech
Intel Core i3 370M Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech
Intel Core i3 380M Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech

The major difference between P6xxx and i3 3xxM is that the i3 has HyperThreading. Then as usual the i3 present in the market now the i3 370M and i3 380M has higher clock rates.
One more feature is that i3 support Vt-X whereas P6xxx doesnt support.

If its just basic photoediting etc.. and no pro work then i guess P6200 would suffice.

eBay India: Acer 4738z Aspire (P6200)| 2GB |500GB| Linux |BT (item 130513283869 end time 04-May-2011 09:00:00 IST) Sells for just ~20.5k and excellent VFM

In case you decide to spend more then you can go for this Toshiba Satellite C Series C660-I5013 : Flipkart.com
Costs just under 28k and has a good config with Core i3 380M and dedicated ATI GPU (ATI Park XT-S3 512MB DDR3 which is another name for HD5470)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 - Notebookcheck.net Tech

P.S: I have a P6100 based Acer with 4GB RAM. I find it sufficient enough for playing NFS MW medium settings and more than enough for other tasks. I would suggest you ask your sister to install the s/w in any of her friends laptop and decide on the performace. Then you would get a better hands on idea.

Back