Laptops Laptop Suggestion, HP Pavilion or Dell Studio?

Rahul++

SuperUser
Skilled
Hello,

I'm about to get Laptop. I decided to buy Dell Studio 15 series first, but I went to HP today and saw HP Pavilion 1152tx, now I'm very confused now..

The price of HP Pavilion dv6-1152tx is Rs. 53k here... and Dell Studio 15 would be somewhere around 45k..

The thing i like in HP is altec lansing speakers, dont know about other things there...

With what should I go for?

Link for HP Pavilion - HP Pavilion dv6-1152tx Entertainment Notebook PC (VB620PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Link for Dell Studio 15 - Dell Studio Laptop 15 Details

Help me out please :)

Consider you can get 3 yr complete cover for the dell. Includes breakage, damage and water etc problems.

With HP ~~

I use both and each has pros and cons, so I would say put ur priorities on paper and rate each. Its a very tuf choice, and would end of day matter on 1 or 2 points either way.

Dude, go for Dell it offers complete onsite warranty. I recently bought 6 HP Pavilion Business Laptops for my office and I would say I did a very big mess.

Bloody HP has carry in warranty, moreover they took approx 2-3 weeks to get the issue sorted out.

However Dell is excellent in after sales service.

I would suggest you to buy Dell Studio 15,

Specs, C2D 2.0, 4Gb ram, 320GB HDD, Lightscribe DVD-RW, 15.4" LCD, Vista Home Premium, e.t.c for approx 36k with Dell Bag.

Rahulrulez said:
how are the speakers of Dell Studio as compared to HP's Altec Lansing?

Well the new Studio 15 speakers are not as good as HP's but they aren't too bad either :p. The difference is not much now as with the earlier studio's (1537's).

The things I like in HP are Finger Print Reader, Speakers, Multimedia Remote Control and The screen off course :D, I needed those badly in my future laptop..

Rahulrulez said:
The things I like in HP are Finger Print Reader, Speakers, Multimedia Remote Control and The screen off course :D, I needed those badly in my future laptop..

You can get ALL those things in Dell too that too at a cheaper price :p

I have a HP DV5-1015tx. Its going to complete 1 year this Sunday. It has been running atleast 80% during this time. I faced absolutely no problems except a small flicker in display. I was actually ignoring this issue. Some 3 weeks ago, I thought I would call customer care and tell them about it since my warranty is going to be over. They logged my complaint and assigned my case to a nearby service center. Since this is a very minor issue (happens rarely) and since I don't like somebody else opening my laptop in my absence, I decided not to go to service center.

From last week onwards, I started getting SMSs from service center saying that they have ordered a new display for me and are following up so that they can get it ASAP. I was like "what!! I never took it for diagnostics and they already identified the fault!!!". Note that customer care person did some online diagnostics, but they all passed. This Monday, I again got an SMS and soon after a call telling me that the part has arrived and asked me to take the laptop there. I decided not to go since the service center is showing this much interest (note that my default policy is all service centers are evil :)). Again they called yesterday. So I called customer care and asked whether they ordered the display for me. The person said yes and finally I thought I will take it. After about 2 hours of waiting, I got the laptop back. They replaced the complete LCD (including the lid, webcam,cover, glass and everything else) :D. I was literally stunned. Never expected something like that. The service center guy told that this replacement cost is about Rs. 28000.

Based on this experience and the build quality of my laptop (my friends joke that if it can survive me, it can survive anything else), I will definitely recommend HP. My room mate has Dell Studio 15. Within 5 months, he has already replaced his keypad, some of the leds and now the mic is not working. Onsite support is the biggest plus point for Dell, especially since I don't like somebody else opening my laptop. HP too offers onsite support, but I think their person will collect and deliver the laptop-servicing will be at their place only.

amol_cool said:
You can get ALL those things in Dell too that too at a cheaper price :p

I never find any Finger Print reader, Good Speakers, Multimedia Remote in Dell laptops... :S

@unni - Nice to hear that.. I will definitely ask HP Laptop users here about their aftersale service.. Even one guy from my Hostel had HP Pavilion laptop, he was also satisfied with HP service centers here in my city. Let's see...

dude...problem with CC are there in every brand nowadays from good to bad(except Apple)

buy any laptop and go to a temple ,do some puja .....everything will be fine. :p

go for hp any day. with dell personal exp is so bad that now no point to suggestion anyone go for dell. buy hp dv6 with 4650 good for games.

Hi All,

I am also planning to buy the same laptop.

Can anyone tell me if there is any issue with this laptop? to be specific, is there any issue with ATI Radeon Graphics card while installing linux/ubuntu? I have read/heard that linux/ubuntu has some problems in this graphics card. May be its wrong but i need some experienced user to comment on this.

It will be highly appreciated...plzzzz :)

delguy19 said:
go for hp any day. with dell personal exp is so bad that now no point to suggestion anyone go for dell. buy hp dv6 with 4650 good for games.

Dell was very prompt in my problems. Much faster and better than HP. Just pointing out that after sales services are not uniform for any brand.

@OP, both companies make good products. Go for the best features@cheapest price and aesthetics. Personally I prefer the Dells.

Well do google it for sure and also google about dv5 and dv series i can give name and number along with pics the people using 1015tx, 1016tx and many more 9600gt based from hp running awesome from last 1 yr without issues.

^^Will you stop posting the same thing again and again??

Edit; @below, dood, double posting is not considered proper etiquette. We saw the link in your earlier post. There's no need for the "in your face" repeat of the same link.

Back