laptop vs desktop - please advice !

DarkAngel said:
^^ Nope, if portablility is not required desky wins hands down. You can get a 1000VA UPS ~ 4-5k if you need a hour or so of back up power. Plus you can get much powerful processor, GPU and other stuff for the same price.

Upgrading is easier and cheaper and in case if some component fails then replacement is cheaper and also warranty period is longer(3-5yrs).

If you have made up your mind in a laptop no point in discussing it further.

What made u come back to square one. :| Read through the same thread again and you will see how powerful a desktop is over this laptop at the same price point. IMO you will get at least double the performance from a desky at this price when compared to this laptop.

No buddy, still not made up my mind. Whatever I buy now will have to stay for another 2-3 years atleast, hence delaying the purchase. Please don't mind if I'm asking too many qs on the topic.

BTW, which UPS gives 1 hour of backup with around 500W of load and available at 4-5k :O ? Can you give me a link ?

No buddy, still not made up my mind. Whatever I buy now will have to stay for another 2-3 years atleast, hence delaying the purchase. Please don't mind if I'm asking too many qs on the topic.

BTW, which UPS gives 1 hour of backup with around 500W of load and available at 4-5k ? Can you give me a link ? You will never have a 500w load with a 50k desktop now a days.

Typical load on a desky with say a core i-5 750, HD5770, 4GB RAM, 1HDD, one optical drive and a 20-22" monitor would be ~150w while browsing, word processing, watching a movie etc...

If you are putting full load on the CPU/ GPU then max power consumption would be about ~200-250w. If you construct a power efficient rig for 50k it would never consume even 250w at max load.

http://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for_extendedruntime.cfm?upsfamily=165

APC 1000VA~6k with auto shut down feature will provide 100mins backup at 100w load and 45mins backup at 200w load. So it should be able to provide you with 60-70 if you are not loading it much when running the system on backup.

You can also get 1000VA UPS from Numeric for 4.4k~. They too carry 2 year onsite warranty but the quality of APC is better than Numeric.

vint said:
BTW, which UPS gives 1 hour of backup with around 500W of load and available at 4-5k :O ? Can you give me a link ?
The 1000va quoted by Karthi is slightly more than 5k, but it has the option of adding an external APC battery which will increase running time further by 2-3 hrs.

Only prob might be a buzzing noise if the SMPS is Corsair, anyone know if this issue has been resolved as yet ?

Hmmm thats new information for me DA, thanks for that. Just on a side note, why would we need to have 550W PSUs in desktops if the machine takes just 250W power ?

core i-5 750, HD5770, micro-ATX mobo, 4GB RAM, 1HDD, one optical drive
Take this rig for example. As i have mentioned typical load is 150w~ and max load is 250w~. But the recommended PSU would be a good 80+ certified 400-450w from reputed brand.

For example a CX400/VX450 from Corsair would be ideal for this rig.
The reasons for getting it are,
i) A PSU gives max efficieny when the load is 40-60% of the rated max load.
ii) Capacitor ageing with time.
iii) More room for future upgrades.
iv) It is not advisable to have a load of more than 80-90% of the PSU's rated wattage continuously. Because at very high loads increases heat and decibel levels of the PSU.

Hope it helps :)

if for 70% of the time, you are going to stay on cpu/gpu intensive apps like Maya/Photoshop, Desktop is the way to go. But on the other hand, if you are okay with waiting just few more seconds for the rendering to finish, a laptop can be a very good companion. The one that you had mentioned for 50k is pretty powerful.

also do remember that HD5650 can be used for casual to moderate gaming.

1) Uncompromised power without any mobility: Desktop
2) Balance between power and mobility: high end laptop with a good GPU

^^ thanks for the input guys, so what is the best config I can get in a desktop with a full HD monitor, for 50k ? If I'm going for a desktop, I'll have to keep in mind the future upgradability, so don't want to go for p55 based. What do you think is the best config ? Or should I open another thread for that ?

vint said:
^^ thanks for the input guys, so what is the best config I can get in a desktop with a full HD monitor, for 50k ? If I'm going for a desktop, I'll have to keep in mind the future upgradability, so don't want to go for p55 based. What do you think is the best config ? Or should I open another thread for that ?

Hehe so have you decided anything yet?:eek:hyeah:
Good question it might help me also..:)

Desktop definitely from a gaming perspective. upgrades are easier for desktop and cheaper. plus any sort of failure wont completely invalidate your entire computer like spilling water all over your laptop as compared to spilling it all over your PC's keyboard/mouse :p

i think TS query is answered now

mobility - lappy

power/performance/cost effective/future upgrade/big screen for animation - desktop

i think this is what u r looking for

Back