PC Peripherals Laser printer power hog ?. Laser vs Inkjet

Hi guys,
I was looking for a printer for my office work. I already have a TX 121 with a Ciss but its not totally reliable. Random leaks and the printer paper mechanism is also rubbish. Can't hold the 100 pages specified and randomly pulls 2-3 pages together. I can't afford such a headache.
Read that for printing mainly documents laser printer is good. But found out that the power consumption figures are very high as compared to inkjet printers. Also in my budget 6-7k, I would not get a high end laser printer. A friend who claims to have used several laser printers says that in low end laser printers( am not sure if its a low end laser printer problem or is valid in all ranges ) , after printing certain pages the drum gets heated up, then you have to wait for 15-20 minutes for it to cool down and then get started. I did notice such a thing myself in one laser printer.
So that puts me off a bit. I need to print approx 30-50 pages daily. That makes it 1000+ pages per month. Hence it needs to be economical also. After refilling the toner powder which costs 250 bucks, expecting to print atleast 1500 pages is very good in cost per page terms.
So what should I do?. For inkjet I got an alternative which is Epson ME 620f which is supposedly a good printer and is compatible with my Ciss. Laser I found out these two
1.http://www.flipkart.com/canon-laser...CTQV&ref=5f83a4b7-e333-4d29-84a9-52b4996765ee
2.http://www.flipkart.com/hp-laserjet...NN8Y&ref=48b0537d-d6cf-40f6-8dd7-65a7daa9fc63

So the two things that concerns me is
1. Power usage.
2. Printing capacity and Cost Per Page.
Definitely not looking for genuine toners because they cost a bomb.

Please help out, thanks .[DOUBLEPOST=1366796477][/DOUBLEPOST]anyone ?

What exactly are you printing?
1. Only text documents
2.Text + few graphics
3. Mainly graphics

Are these for internal use of or for distrbuting to clients/customers ?

Thanks a lot for the reply,
I will print office documents which include printing bills and reports , mainly a tables n text. 2-3 small images also.
So I guess it should fit in the second category ?. Are tables considered graphics or text ?. I guess graphics.

If its excel tables, then it will categorized as text. if its picture, then graphic. I think you can go with a inkjet printer. Laser printer would be an overkill for bills/office documents.

If its excel tables, then it will categorized as text. if its picture, then graphic. I think you can go with a inkjet printer. Laser printer would be an overkill for bills/office documents.

Thanks a lot buddy,
Can you please recommend a good multifunction printer, if it has ADF even better. The main requirement is that it can fit a CISS system.
Also if you know anyone who fits the CISS system, that would also be of great help.

Go to local shops, ask for an hp printer with a refillable cartridge and cheap. All the crap about drum is not true or probably about bad models.

Entry level models are also great. Your requirements are very normal. Just remember to get a HP model, with no electronic chip on them. These are generally older models. Get them with out thinking twice if they are - refillable (3-3.5k prints) and come without a chip. Get the cheapest one they suggest.

- 7yr laser printer user.

I agree with Ray - inkjets are too slow. Totally forgot about that!
Go for the HP in the link you posted above. I have the same one in my office, its pretty old (5+ years) and still going strong. And with HP you get good ASS.

Sorry for long post, pls be patient with me.

inkjet printers print too slowly

Thanks for the reply,
On paper the tech specs mention the opposite, inkjet printer's ppm stats are more than laserjet. So what is the truth ?.

Go to local shops, ask for an hp printer with a refillable cartridge and cheap. All the crap about drum is not true or probably about bad models.

Entry level models are also great. Your requirements are very normal. Just remember to get a HP model, with no electronic chip on them. These are generally older models. Get them with out thinking twice if they are - refillable (3-3.5k prints) and come without a chip. Get the cheapest one they suggest.

- 7yr laser printer user.

Thanks for the detailed reply,
the biggest problem in my area is all the hardware shop guys are noobs. They do not have any idea about all this OR they pretend they do not know anything , may be because the margin on new cartridges are better.
The biggest problem I faced with my Epson TX 121 was finding a CISS system and a person who could fit it.
Do you know anyone who sells a CISS system for HP or even refillable cartridges ?. That would be a HUGE help buddy.
I would love to go for HP as so many guys are saying its better. I don't really trust Epson because it is not reliable but it has a CISS readily available and I know a person who does it.
But he does only Epson Ciss not HP, thats the sad part.

I agree with Ray - inkjets are too slow. Totally forgot about that!
Go for the HP in the link you posted above. I have the same one in my office, its pretty old (5+ years) and still going strong. And with HP you get good ASS.

Thanks for the reply,
Well in laser original toners are not economical, refillable toners or compatible cartridge is the way to go I feel. I need to figure out where the compatible cartridges are available.
If you know do please tell me. So using alternate cartridges will anyway void my warranty.
Main thing is I want a good paper feed mechanism because in my current printer which is Cheap but an utter pain because randomly it pulls 2-5 pages together which makes my work a whole lot tedious.

Please help out guys, after hours of field work my lil bit of time at home goes in messing around with the printer , waiting for printouts and managing paper. Then the usual firing at work for being late and stuff.

On paper the tech specs mention the opposite, inkjet printer's ppm stats are more than laserjet. So what is the truth ?.

For the above case, statistics can be manipulated. They "cook" those figures. Usually the ppm nos. are garnered by printing pages with plain text only and 50-60% coverage - that will give them higher ppm count.
The inkjets print line by line, while laser prints it like a Xerox machine - so it is always faster. The only issue might be that you have to wait a few seconds for the first page( to warm up the drum), but after that it will spit out pages quite fast.

Regarding the CISS system, I am not sure if you really need it. You can always buy a second cartridge(refilled of course) and use it as backup. 1000 pages a month is not at all a lot of print outs, so one cartridge will last quite some time. Yes, I agree Epson sucks. The one main problem they have is the ink dries out if the printer is not being used regularly.
Heres a link for CISS supplier: http://splashjet.co.in/index.asp
Its a Mumbai based company. But I have never used a CISS system, so no comments. But they list it for Inkjets only, you can call and ask if they also do for LaserJets.

Well in laser original toners are not economical, refillable toners or compatible cartridge is the way to go I feel. I need to figure out where the compatible cartridges are available.
If you know do please tell me. So using alternate cartridges will anyway void my warranty.
Main thing is I want a good paper feed mechanism because in my current printer which is Cheap but an utter pain because randomly it pulls 2-5 pages together which makes my work a whole lot tedious.

^^Laser cartridges are costlier than inkjets, but they are bigger, so give more pages per cartridge. Yes there are shops in my city who sell refilled laser cartridges, there should be few in your city too, ask some local computer repair guy, they should be able tell you.
When a printer pulls in multiple pages, its either the rubber roller that is at fault or some times cheap paper which does not has a bit of glossy side for it to be able to slide easily.

My friend, you buy a printer once in 3-4 four years, try to look out of your area. Get only a HP. Epson, samsung both have chips limiting number of pages.
Or find a refiller and ask him which one to buy.

Thanks for being patient with me everyone and thanks for replying.

Regarding the CISS system, I am not sure if you really need it. You can always buy a second cartridge(refilled of course) and use it as backup. 1000 pages a month is not at all a lot of print outs, so one cartridge will last quite some time. Yes, I agree Epson sucks. The one main problem they have is the ink dries out if the printer is not being used regularly.
Heres a link for CISS supplier: http://splashjet.co.in/index.asp
Its a Mumbai based company. But I have never used a CISS system, so no comments. But they list it for Inkjets only, you can call and ask if they also do for LaserJets.

Thanks for the reply,
Well what about the power consumption aspect ?. Is the refilled or compatible cartridge good enough ?.
If we leave apart the electricity aspect, the cost per page is much better in laser printers. Refill for Rs 150 and print 1000-1200 pages. That is almost 10-20 paise per page.
In an inkjet printer with Ciss the cost per page can be 40-50 paise. Does not sound a huge difference but if you print anything between 8k-10k pages per year, its almost a difference of 3000 bucks plus for printing text what I have seen is mostly laser printers are used. My inkjet with Ciss does not have that great text quality but its just ok. Another thing about injket is only HP seems to the most reliable of all the options available and HP does not have a Ciss option. I went around over 150 ( true figure ) looking for refillable cartridges in CST and Lammie but I could not find any.
Only Epson and Brother have a Ciss. Brother have worse reliability according to most shop keepers.

But then if we consider power consumption, for laser its like 300-350 W as compared to an Inkjet with 20-30 W. That's a huge difference. So what do I do really?. Except for power consumption for me Laser wins hands down.

if you will print from multiple computers,buy a printer with wifi.You will thank me later.

Thanks for the reply,
certainly that helps a lot. But sadly not able to find a cheap one in HP with wi fi.

Try this model, get it offline and confirm if it is refillable. The printer has a huge family so I dont recollect the exact number. I'l confirm when I go to office tomorrow. http://www.ebay.in/itm/HP-Laserjet-...s_Supplies&hash=item2a2c0cc4e1#ht_3925wt_1139

Thanks for the reply,
did you confirm it?. I guess it is refillable, most people say it is as it has 12 A cartridge which can be refilled. Is the quality of a refilled cartridge good enough or just mediocre at best ?.

...But then if we consider power consumption, for laser its like 300-350 W as compared to an Inkjet with 20-30 W. That's a huge difference. So what do I do really?. Except for power consumption for me Laser wins hands down.

The 300-350Watts is when it is printing. And how many minutes/seconds will it run when you print say 10 pages in one go? In standby mode it maybe aorund 20watts max. The best way to save power would be to print in bulk, instead of printing 1-2 pages at a time as the printer will take time to "warm up" the drum - that is what consumes power.

The power argument is lame. It prints for a few seconds, minutes at best. Cost will come in few paisas for a total of some 100 pages printed in a few minutes.

My hp has manual double side printing. So even if i want to print 100 pages back and front, its a few minutes of work.

HP LaserJet 1020 - Can i refill the cartridge of this printer. As per my knowledge the answer is NO. But i might be wrong, But i know this printer use a chip, And this new chip made by HP can not be reset.

I would be glad if any one answer that i am wrong, because i have a wish to buy this printer.

The 300-350Watts is when it is printing. And how many minutes/seconds will it run when you print say 10 pages in one go? In standby mode it maybe aorund 20watts max. The best way to save power would be to print in bulk, instead of printing 1-2 pages at a time as the printer will take time to "warm up" the drum - that is what consumes power.
The power argument is lame. It prints for a few seconds, minutes at best. Cost will come in few paisas for a total of some 100 pages printed in a few minutes.

My hp has manual double side printing. So even if i want to print 100 pages back and front, its a few minutes of work.

Sorry guys was a bit busy, thanks a lot for your replies :).
HP LaserJet 1020 - Can i refill the cartridge of this printer. As per my knowledge the answer is NO. But i might be wrong, But i know this printer use a chip, And this new chip made by HP can not be reset.

I would be glad if any one answer that i am wrong, because i have a wish to buy this printer.
Hi,
who told you it has a chip?. Any link ?.

Buy the base model from Canon . The printers you mentioned from HP and Canon are common and famous models so you dont have any problem with refill . afaik , laser printer put themselves in sleep mode for reducing power consumption so this should not be much of a concern

Back