Latest AMD Ryzen 2 processors and X470 chipset motherboards have been launched!

But who is going to import them just to save a few thousand bucks? And what about the warranty? Unless you have someone already living there it seems like a lot of hassle to me.

Last edited:
How much difference will it bring to switch from 6700k (stock) /z170 sabertooth to 2700x ? .. For a workstation running photoshop + once in a while video editing + occasional VM . Also includes casual gaming (FC4, GTAV on GTX960)

It is worth upgrade?

Still too early to tell. I'm the skeptic kind who do not trust pre-reviews benchmarks no matter what site the rumours originate from.

I understand.. but I didn't ask with respect to the point that everyone would be importing. For me though since I'm flying around almost all the time.. it's easy for me to pick. in August I'm headed to Singapore for a few.. would be easy for me to pick it up there. If I buy it from a store that's participating on the VAT refund.. it will save so more.

I've used more than a few CPU's imported from abroad bought on personal trips/duty travel and frankly never had a problem.. oc or not.. it's kind of hard to screw with a CPU enough for warranty to be required and I don't change systems often.. so it works for me cos they really outlive the warranty term anyway

But who is going to import them just to save a few thousand bucks? And what about the warranty? Unless you have someone already living there it seems like a lot of hassle to me.
AMD has international warranty and really good support in India. Someone I know got his ryzen 1600 replaced for the segmentation fault bug by shipping it out to AMD and receiving a replacement in 3 days

Anybody planning to get 2700X ? I am inclined towards the 8700K because of slightly better gaming performance, but I think that maybe the X470 platform will have a better upgrade path with 2800X which is supposed to be 12 core and also future Zen 2.

Anybody planning to get 2700X ? I am inclined towards the 8700K because of slightly better gaming performance, but I think that maybe the X470 platform will have a better upgrade path with 2800X which is supposed to be 12 core and also future Zen 2.

The gaming difference is not much higher with Intel. If you do anything cpu intensive apart from gaming, get the 2700x, its simply better VFM platform wise.

Note: im biased, i have the 2700x running on an older b350m board.

Yes, decided to get 2700X myself. I require both gaming and multi-threaded performance. As for board, I am leaning towards the Gigabyte Gaming 7. Interestingly, none of the boards seems to have 8 SATA ports.

Yes, decided to get 2700X myself. I require both gaming and multi-threaded performance. As for board, I am leaning towards the Gigabyte Gaming 7. Interestingly, none of the boards seems to have 8 SATA ports.

If you are planning to run games on a 144hz panel, then the 8700K would make sense, for all else the 2700x would be a better all round solution plus you have an upgrade path for the next couple years. Intel's rumored 8 core 16 thread chip will come with a motherboard refresh, doubt it will be on the 10nm, which means another platform upgrade for Ice Lake. I moved to R7 1700 late last year and couldnt be happier, I am satisfied with 1080p 60fps atm, will upgrade to 4k once the GPU market stabilizes.

How's the stability with the Spectre & Meltdown patches??

There have been contrasting experiences where all sorts of issues being reported on post patch performances on the 8700K not sure how is been with respect to AMD offerings?

Btw are we expecting or had it been clarified if the rumoured CL refresh comes with microcode fixes already to tackle the exploits?

How's the stability with the Spectre & Meltdown patches??

There have been contrasting experiences where all sorts of issues being reported on post patch performances on the 8700K not sure how is been with respect to AMD offerings?

Btw are we expecting or had it been clarified if the rumoured CL refresh comes with microcode fixes already to tackle the exploits?

AMD only requires fixes for Spectre variant 2. It is not susceptible to the rest. No issues with the patch so far here on a 1700.

Anandtech review is very disappointing. Anyone notice how their gaming benchmarks don't mention the Intel i5 8XXX chips for comparison? Ryzen 7 Vs i7, Ryzen 5 Vs i5. Why they did it like that, I have no idea.

Edit: seems like more serious readers are being very critical of anandtech here.

Anandtech will post an updated review.

Screenshot_20180426-102457~2.png
[DOUBLEPOST=1524718814][/DOUBLEPOST]
Planning to buy - Ryzen 2700 and Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING, with 16gb DDR4 3600
If you have the budget for that X470 Aorus gaming motherboard then I think you should also add some more money and just go for the 2700X. Or if your budget is tight then you should wait for non-gaming branded models. It's always the wiser thing to wait for more options and look at them.

Anandtech will post an updated review.

View attachment 74677[DOUBLEPOST=1524718814][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you have the budget for that X470 Aorus gaming motherboard then I think you should also add some more money and just go for the 2700X. Or if your budget is tight then you should wait for non-gaming branded models. It's always the wiser thing to wait for more options and look at them.
Bought Ryzen 2700(Using my old Deepcool gammamax 400 cooler) - 23.9k, Asus ROG Strix x470-F - 17.5k, Gskill Ripjaw V 3200Mhz 16 GB DDR4 single stick(will upgrade to 64gb later) - 15.5k and Antec DF 500 RGB(excellent case :)) - 4.6K from Vedant Infotech Kolkata. Plan to buy Corsair TX650M power supply and another 3 16 GB rams to make it 64GB. Currently using my Corsair VS650 power supply, have overclocked the processor to 3.9GHz all cores with 1.33Volts(36 Degrees idle, 65 degrees at full load). Will go for 4.2GHz when i have a better power supply. One thing to note is that i cannot run the ram at 3200 mhz(cannot boot), currently it's running at 2866Mhz. May be another bios update will fix this.
Skipped 2700X because i don't think it's worth it to spend extra 5500 for the X. Ryzen 2's are anyways 4.2 - 4.4 GHz max overclock as per luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1524740602][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you're going for 2700 then stick to DDR4 3200. In this 2600 review the reviewer is getting blue screen with DDR4 3400 memory https://www.techspot.com/review/1614-ryzen-2600/
Yes bought 3200Mhz, please read above for full config. This king of blue screen issues should be fixed in few months when new bios updates are released.

Last edited:
I understand.. but I didn't ask with respect to the point that everyone would be importing. For me though since I'm flying around almost all the time.. it's easy for me to pick. in August I'm headed to Singapore for a few.. would be easy for me to pick it up there. If I buy it from a store that's participating on the VAT refund.. it will save so more.

I've used more than a few CPU's imported from abroad bought on personal trips/duty travel and frankly never had a problem.. oc or not.. it's kind of hard to screw with a CPU enough for warranty to be required and I don't change systems often.. so it works for me cos they really outlive the warranty term anyway
Can you pick one for as well.

Back