Latest PC DRM tech too hard to crack, “no more cracked games in two years,” says cracking group

Then don't buy games if you believe there are better uses for your money. Why do you think you should be able to buy a PS4 for 40k, but then pirate the games? Why don't you donate that 40k to fund life saving drugs for those that need them? Where is your "moral responsibility" there? You think that what ever you spew out applies

Firstly, I want to clarify that merely reporting a fact does not mean that the person stating it has done/will do it. Where have I mentioned that I have bought a ps4? I have only shown some gaiety to the fact that a hack is indeed under process. Do not put words in my mouth. Also, I have clearly mentioned that I do not support piracy. However, this habit of capitalists exploiting needy countries does not work in the long run. No wonder the western economy is so skewed/volatile. In the time of generics and cheaper alternatives, no one would fall for exploitation tactics.

Secondly, if you re read what I have mentioned, the publishing houses can easily come out with cheaper versions for the Indian subcontinent only. From ages immemorial, the book publishing industry has been following this logic and many costly books are readily and easily available at affordable costs here. I am sure if a similar model is followed, piracy would reduce in India too!

doesn't make it right for the pharma companies to milk the poor patients dry due to their greed. The cost of most cancer drugs is roughly around 1000X the cost of production+R&D included. This is the reason why medical conditions is the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US. It is one thing to charge a f

Bhains ke aage been bajane a koi fayda nahi. He won't understand till he himself becomes a victim of exploitation. Oh wait, he loves being exploited doesn't he? Furthermore he justifies it by cloaking it under intellectual property and what not. He doesn't know that the purpose of an IP is to make it public for everyone to enjoy/revel.

@Chaos, I am not disagreeing either, but you cannot expect a pharma company to give away stuff for free either after they spent a lot of money on research. Fixing the the situation of pharma's looting the people does not need to be people looting the pharma's. This is the typical expectation in India. People do not want fair treatment, they want everything to be always in their own favor.

Price regulation can be done in a meaningful manner. But then our protectionist regime also wants to protect the local industry as well. They don't want to make a foreign company sell at reasonable prices, but rather, they want all the business to go to the local industry. Cheaper medicines can also be funded through taxes to some extent instead of taxes being wasted on meaningless freebies to score vote banks for politicians. Taxes that vast majority of Indians refuse to pay, but still feel entitled to a hell lot of benefits.

What I am also against is that sense of entitlement that idiots like derp show. they feel so entitled to get everything at somebody else's expense. If you get something for a special price (through whatever means) without you making any contributions, its a favor that somebody is doing for you, so, just be thankful for that. You have no entitlement to demand special treatment just because you cannot afford some thing.

A lot of medicines will never be available in India at all at whatever cost because of the way foreign pharma companies are treated in India. They just want the company to handover every thing they have and get lost.

Also a patent does not mean that all trade secrets around it need to be made public. Regarding the particular incident, what I read at the time was that the govt agencies abused their power to facilitate leaking confidential documents to the other parties. Being a foreign company, they had no hope of getting justice in an Indian court of law, so they ended up pulling out drugs from the market.

Secondly, if you re read what I have mentioned, the publishing houses can easily come out with cheaper versions for the Indian subcontinent only. From ages immemorial, the book publishing industry has been following this logic and many costly books are readily and easily available at affordable costs here. I am sure if a similar model is followed, piracy would reduce in India too!

They have done that for years with PC games. I have seen PC game editions for undeveloped countries like India sold at heavily subsidized rates for the last 20 years. It doesn't do anything for piracy. People pirated games that they can buy for Rs 100 even while they spend tens of thousands on PC's because they cannot obviously get it for free.

People in India (like you) will rather steal something for free than buy it even at a low price even if that is an option. There is no dearth of excuses. They range from "punishing the developer" to your own absurdity of saving money for a good cause.

That is why console games never got subsidized or at least to the same extent. Some games for XBOX 360 were indeed subsidized, but that din't have any impact just like PC games.

What we lack is the legal framework to reduce piracy. If you go into a shop and try to steal a physical game disc, you would end up in jail. If you do the same thing via piracy, you can get away with it currently which is why the people do it.

Bhains ke aage been bajane a koi fayda nahi. He won't understand till he himself becomes a victim of exploitation. Oh wait, he loves being exploited doesn't he? Furthermore he justifies it by cloaking it under intellectual property and what not. He doesn't know that the purpose of an IP is to make it public for everyone to enjoy/revel.

As I said before, don't go blabbering about things that you have no understanding of. The purpose of IP (Intellectual Property) is not to make it public for everyone to enjoy. It has the same purpose as holding physical property. It is an asset that you own.

Lets say you came up with a great process to build something that is useful. That process is your IP as is the idea of that product. You don't have to make either of them public. You can monetize the end product directly. Somebody else can also make the same product using the same process or similar process and monetize it.

So, you can get a patent for the idea of the product and how it works with or without detailing your process for making it. Then, nobody else can make the exact same product as you for a few years till that patent is valid. After that, the idea becomes public domain and everybody else can use that idea for their own versions of that product using their own process. If you did not make your process public, its possible that you are still able to make a better product than others. So yeah, the intent of IP is not to make it public

Last edited:
I fail to understand the point: why products should be cheaper for India, else it is fine to steal them. Yes, India is a developing country, but the vector is -ve. LOL. Basically as @Lord Nemesis mentioned: Indian's get expensive thrills by doing cheap things. Many examples I have heard out loud:

1. Buy clothes, use them over the weekend and return back.
2. Shoplifting on the spur.
3. Making false insurance claims due to ones own stupidity while driving and crashing.
4. Making false rent agreements / rental slips for HRA.
5. Fake medical documents.
6. Fake LTA tickets. (And hotel bookings).
7. Fake insurance premiums for Section 80C.
8. Fleecing ones own parents on the pretext of school / college trip (or Vaisahnodevi) while getting drunk and being debauch of the weekend.

...the list goes on an on. Indians are cheap people and morally corrupt.

Sadly, I can agree for the music and games and stuff. Many of my colleagues and friends ask, why are you buying stuff - to which I have no answer, because they torrent them all.

However, I cannot agree the same about pharma. I have seen cases where the doctor prescribes a more expensive version of the drug, when the generic one is fine. Unwanted tests to be conducted. In short, trafficking in human misery. That is where a clear line needs to be drawn. Don't do charity, but run as a non profit - what is the meaning of excessive profiting from selling life saving cancer drugs.

^^ There is no means to research and create new drugs when there is no incentive of profits. Lets say that $1M is spent on creating a new drug and the company barely recovers $1M (no profit as you said) from the market? Where is the capital for the next drug? What about the salaries for the staff and other costs? Should they work for free or without ever expecting a change in pay ever in their career? As I said, it is fair to ask for reasonable prices without trying to exploit them for being in the pharma business.

Secondly, Generic drugs are not always a good thing. Even when going for such drugs, its best to look for the established brands. Best case is that its a trivial generic drug that just doesn't work as expected and you have your ailment for a few days more than necessary, but the worst case can be lives lost either because of ineffective action or side effects. The sanitary conditions in many of these plants in India is very poor. Some time back, several plants in India were banned from supplying medicines to Europe after they found rat infestations and droppings in the mixers and other equipment. If that is the state of plants exporting drugs, imagine what plants supplying for the local market would be like.

Couple of years back, an auto driver was telling about how a couple of toddlers from a family in his locality were injected some generic drug (parents choice to go for the cheapest variant) at a hospital in the city and they both died within 30 min from some sort of reaction. The doctors blamed it on the cheap drug, but they apparently paid the parents 2 Lac for each child and they were happy to take the money and go and the matter was hushed up.

@derp -

No one has ever been able to force charity. People who do charitable stuff do it of their own accord. You probably don't realize this, but your rants about how it is a duty is only harming your cause.

On this note, I would also like to ask how many people who you find sleeping outside in the winters do you provide a bed for at your home. Because there are so many people in India that do such things every day.
That however doesn't make it their duty. It is still a charity they are doing. Also one doesn't need to stop living a luxurious life themselves to do charity either. The idea is always to enable people so that their living standards get raised and not the other way around. Communism has been tested and it failed. Capitalism is the way the world works right now and it's not all as bad as you always make it sound. Apart from farmers, most of the population is doing pretty well. The labourers can do much better if labor laws were followed strictly and they themselves used their money more judiciously.
From what I have experienced in my life so far, most of them spend their money on alcohol or gambling while leaving the ladies to take care of the house with whatever they earn. So it enrages people like me when someone like you asks me to stop living a comfortable life for people like those.
More than 90% of the males of our BPL population are like these. How do I know this? Because I live in the real world and not some fictional fantasy where you seem to live.
The food security has worsened the condition. In my small village, Rs. 500 is paid per day for a masoner. That's more than what a young private school teacher earns. Yet we find it difficult to get people to commit for a job. When asked, we found out that since they get monthly food supplies for so cheap now, they only work when they feel like it. Meanwhile the ladies of the same household work day in and out so that they can provide a future to their kids.
The story is the same across India as before I experienced it myself, my Mamaji had told me of similar situations at his place.

Now can you please tell us about those people who you have come across that made you want to give up all your worldly possessions for them.

I did not mean non profit as in working for charity. Keep aside money for R&D, salaries, etc. Don't be focused on stakeholders making profit. Engage in more CSR.

Freebies should be avoided at any cost for most as people tend to take free a bit too much, especially in India.

@derp -

No one has ever been able to force charity. People who do charitable stuff do it of their own accord. You probably don't realize this, but your rants about how it is a duty is only harming your cause.

Forget it. He has no common sense and he does not come off as the kind that contributes anything meaningful for anybody, but only rants about what everybody else's obligations are. So his high and mighty talk about moral responsibility is meaningless when he has no intention of following it himself. He has no problem with spending 40k on a PS4 and is jubilant about getting a PS4 hack finally and says that his prayers are answered and chides people for buying games and talks about better uses for money and all that. He has no qualifications to talk about anybody. He is just a self entitled maggot leeching on society which explains his drivel about how everyone else has moral responsibility to give away everything they have while he himself is exempt from that.

Each year, I pay 35~40% of my earnings in taxes (including interest income and direct and indirect combined). Each year, I also donate more money for charitable causes than I have spent on games in last 10 years. But that does not mean everybody has to do the same. The former (paying taxes) is a basic duty and obligation of everybody. The later is not an obligation. He is the kind who does neither, but uses self patronizing drivel to justify to his own lame attitude while chiding others.

Looks like you guys have outdone yourselves this time, discussing Big Pharma on a thread related to DRM lol
ye haha.
Honestly though screw DRM. I'm not ashamed to say that DRM is exactly what makes me pirate stuff. I feel that looking at our poor economy and poverty and human-per-capita something something are so bad its unfair for us to get something at the same or higher rates than the West or Europe or any developed country or a country with a much better economy than our's. US$1~66INR are you friggin' serious?? Just FYI i don't pirate that many games. If I love it and if a game offers a good online content I try to buy it whenever I can. Fuuck EA though. And I'm just glad I'm not as interested for AAA titles as others.
And Steam's INR currency and GoG are a godsend. ^o^
Bottomline, I wouldn't mind buying a good game without DRM or which doesn't require me to go online just to play or register.
PS: Don't mind the other guy. His name is "derp" what did you expect him to say? :p

I feel that looking at our poor economy and poverty and human-per-capita something something are so bad

PS: Don't mind the other guy. His name is "derp" what did you expect him to say?
unnamed (61).jpg

Firstly, I want to clarify that merely reporting a fact does not mean that the person stating it has done/will do it. Where have I mentioned that I have bought a ps4? I have only shown some gaiety to the fact that a hack is indeed under process. Do not put words in my mouth. Also, I have clearly mentioned that I do not support piracy.

problem with spending 40k on a PS4 and is jubilant about getting a PS4 hack finally and says that his prayers are answered and chides people for buying games and talks about better uses for money and all that.

@derp -

On this note, I would also like to ask how many people who you find sleeping outside in the winters do you provide a bed for at your home. Because there are so many people in India that do such things every day.
That however doesn't make it their duty. It is still a charity they are doing. Also one doesn't need to stop living a luxurious life themselves to do charity either. The idea is always to enable people so that their living standards get raised and not the other way around. Communism has been tested and it failed. Capitalism is the way the world works right now and it's not all as bad as you always make it sound. Apart from farmers, most of the population is doing pretty well. The labourers can do much better if labor laws were followed strictly and they themselves used their money more judiciously.
From what I have experienced in my life so far, most of them spend their money on alcohol or gambling while leaving the ladies to take care of the house with whatever they earn. So it enrages people like me when someone like you asks me to stop living a comfortable life for people like those.
More than 90% of the males of our BPL population are like these. How do I know this? Because I live in the real world and not some fictional fantasy where you seem to live.
The food security has worsened the condition. In my small village, Rs. 500 is paid per day for a masoner. That's more than what a young private school teacher earns. Yet we find it difficult to get people to commit for a job. When asked, we found out that since they get monthly food supplies for so cheap now, they only work when they feel like it. Meanwhile the ladies of the same household work day in and out so that they can provide a future to their kids.
The story is the same across India as before I experienced it myself, my Mamaji had told me of similar situations at his place.

Now can you please tell us about those people who you have come across that made you want to give up all your worldly possessions for them.

Firstly, allow me Clarify. I am being misquoted here. I never said that leave all your worldly possessions and turn into a monk. I don't understand mindless spending. It is your money and you are free to do whatever you want to anyways. I am trying to advocate prudent spending and not what you have mentioned. Regarding your question, yes. I have personally visited many slums and have donated clothes, money etc. Also, I am associated with a friends organization targeting women's empowerment. We are also developing an app for the same.

It does not make any sense that we spend 2l on a PC and buy a mobile for 50k and yet beg before the government for doles and freebies. Do whatever you want to do with your money, but, it becomes our moral responsibility to atleast think of the deprived before pressing the BUY button. That's what I stand for. However, my words have been twisted by some delusional idiot who can't differentiate between a guy playing downloaded stuff and a rapist! Such is the level of intellect here! No wonder our country is not doing good. The so called software engineers have such ideologies!

ye haha.
Honestly though screw DRM. I'm not ashamed to say that DRM is exactly what makes me pirate stuff. I feel that looking at our poor economy and poverty and human-per-capita something something are so bad its unfair for us to get something at the same or higher rates than the West or Europe or any developed country or a country with a much better economy than our's. US$1~66INR are you friggin' serious?? Just FYI i don't pirate that many games. If I love it and if a game offers a good online content I try to buy it whenever I can. Fuuck EA though. And I'm just glad I'm not as interested for AAA titles as others.
And Steam's INR currency and GoG are a godsend. ^o^
Bottomline, I wouldn't mind buying a good game without DRM or which doesn't require me to go online just to play or register.
PS: Don't mind the other guy. His name is "derp" what did you expect him to say? :p

So bottom line is that you dont mind pirating games that do not have multiplayer content (obviously the pirated copy of such games wont work for your online gaming) just because your so called "Indian economy" (hope you know what you are talking about) is low compared to other countries. I loved your USD to INR conversion and the cry about it.

Ok let me tell you, play only that you can pay for. Nothing is free. By pirating you arent helping your countries cause. Will you start stealing whatever you cant afford and would love to have?

Firstly, allow me Clarify. I am being misquoted here. I never said that leave all your worldly possessions and turn into a monk. I don't understand mindless spending. It is your money and you are free to do whatever you want to anyways. I am trying to advocate prudent spending and not what you have mentioned. Regarding your question, yes. I have personally visited many slums and have donated clothes, money etc. Also, I am associated with a friends organization targeting women's empowerment. We are also developing an app for the same.

It does not make any sense that we spend 2l on a PC and buy a mobile for 50k and yet beg before the government for doles and freebies. Do whatever you want to do with your money, but, it becomes our moral responsibility to atleast think of the deprived before pressing the BUY button. That's what I stand for. However, my words have been twisted by some delusional idiot who can't differentiate between a guy playing downloaded stuff and a rapist! Such is the level of intellect here! No wonder our country is not doing good. The so called software engineers have such ideologies!
In your interactions with the people of the slums, did you find out how they earn and spend their money. If you have been to such slums, you might have also seen that most of the houses have TVs, DTH connections, refrigerators etc all working on 'kundi' connections. Most of the people there own mobile phones.

I have written in my post, how males of these slums behave. I am gonna tell you an incident. My maid was provided with a house from the govt because she used to live in the slums. His husband used to beat her up many times because she wouldn't allow him to sell/lease the house to someone else while they themselves move to another slum.

This is the story of more than 90% of such households. The men of the house are alcoholics and gamblers who leave all the responsibilities of the house on the shoulders of the ladies.

Now regarding the freebies. Even in the other thread we had pointed it out innumerable number of times that we don't have any problem in giving up our subsidies. However, the govt should ensure that no one else who earns more than 10L, irrespective of whether they declare it correctly or not, shouldn't receive the subsidy. It is a matter of principle and fairness. If the govt can't ensure that then it should think of another way to implement that policy which is fair to all.

Thirdly, how can you morally police people regarding how they spend their money when you yourself think it is alright to steal stuff. My brother is a game programmer. I have seen him work so hard, spending hours on his computer trying to get that kick just right, forgetting about eating or sleeping till his work gets done to his satisfaction. How can you even approve of stealing a fruit of such hard work, while at the same time tell others to use their money for good causes. Stealing is stealing. Like Lord Nemesis has pointed out that it's not punishable, or stringently enforced here in India but that doesn't mean it's not theft. You talk about being morally responsible and then you approve taking forcibly what you can't afford. How do these two go hand in hand ?

I used to give every beggar money when I was younger. I couldn't stand their plight looking at their condition. However as I grew up I came to understand that the reason they stay the same is because we keep giving them money. So instead of just donating clothes etc, I implore you to try and find out why don't they have clothes in the first place and try and find a solution to that problem. Empower, don't enable them.

^^"obviously"? Actually FYI there are some popular games which you can play online on private servers on pirated copies CS and WoW just to name two. And if you were not aware the conversion rate used to be 40-45INR for a US$1. If $66 now is not bad what is? I hope you realize that the final rates for these products come after currency conversion. If you are happy with low INR value and its effects then that is not my problem. Just because you can afford something and sound so righteous doesn't mean everyone else do. And you either don't even know or are simply ignorant as to why people resort to that means. If I was as rich as some of you guys hell even i wouldn't mind spending thousands on these.
And i never said anything about "stealing what i cannot afford and want to have", don't try to twist my words.
And also another reason why some people dont want to pay up for legit copies is the scumbaggery of the corporate companies behind them, with their stupid policies and their ridiculous pricing for crappy games. Yet another reason is related to the lack of proper internet connection or internet requirement, huge game files etc but since you seem to have been born with a silver spoon you probably won't even understand that else you wouldn't have said what you said. You may not agree with this logic but thats how it is. There is also another group of gamers who have legit copies and at the same time pirate them to justify it. One of the few things which can help the situation is appropriate or affordable pricing justifying the products but some publishers just wont do it. And yeah i stand by my opinions on the pricing according to the currency value thing, like Steam's INR. If they are worried about unauthorized sales they can come up with some proper security measures.

TLDR: Buy the original copies if you want/can and let others do their stuff. Its not like you can stop them anyway. :p

Last edited:
Back