Latest PC DRM tech too hard to crack, “no more cracked games in two years,” says cracking group

Check the trackers, the piracy hasnt come down a bit. Which is what the whole point is. People buying games doesnt mean the same ppl are not pirating at all. Even before, peple used to buy and pirate at the same time.

That's the whole point we are trying to find a solution to the piracy problem are we not. Reducing price is quite a good solution unless proven otherwise. There is a saying you never know unless you have tried. Maybe someone should release a AA game if not AAA game for 100-200₹ at launch, if it works then good thing a solution is found if not then well at least they tried.

I will again go back to my movie reference, day 1 pirated movies have always existed still movies make Crores of profit.

Piracy is piracy. It is not a tool for anything. Yeah, people pirate for what ever reason, but lets not sugar coat it and portray it as having some high and mighty purpose.
Given any reason, would a person still have pirated if say there were a 99% chance that they would be caught and put in jail for an year or two and have to pay a hefty fine? I guess not.

The average piracy level for games stands somewhere between 80~90%. i.e. Out of every 100 people playing the game, only 10~20 people have bought it. The purpose of DRM is not to make 90/100 people buy it, but to make 20 or 25 people buy it instead of 15. For a game that costs $100m to make and returns $150m. if 5% more people were buying it instead of pirating, it might mean an additional 50m in revenues. That kind of money can make a lot of difference to a studio and its employees.

Game studios are tedious places to work with employees putting in anywhere between 15~20 hours a day. Some times, (Ex: GoW 3), they shut the doors and work for week or two at a time without coming out. They also have every strict revenue targets to meet to deem a game successful. Even with a popular title, 5~10% less piracy can mean the difference between getting a bonus for the hard work they put in or losing their job.

I dont think the first argument is valid - look at it from a protestors point of view. You know that you want to protest against the govt, but you know that you will be in jail. So, that means you should not do it?

Is there even a point in your post? You are talking about half-arsed and half-done releases. How about not buying such games and be done? Vote with your wallet. How and why do you think piracy is a solution for that?
Do people even pirate a game that scores very mediocre or poor in reviews? How many people pirate a 20 GB game that scored less than 8/10 in reviews?
So in essence, the games that are most pirated are not that half-arsed as the justifications you are giving out for pirating.
Dude i am done with replying to ur brainded assumptions of what i have written down. Please dont ever read my posts or reply to it.
Vote with ur wallet ... i cant vote against something i have already brought. Assassins creed unity, Games for Windows live, i can put a list out. Not buying games which are half assed releases ... do ur thick skull ever be able to comprehend that people buy games then like to play and end of not being able to do so because of a shit load of reasons i am not going to list over here.

That's the whole point we are trying to find a solution to the piracy problem are we not. Reducing price is quite a good solution unless proven otherwise. There is a saying you never know unless you have tried. Maybe someone should release a AA game if not AAA game for 100-200₹ at launch, if it works then good thing a solution is found if not then well at least they tried.
I will again go back to my movie reference, day 1 pirated movies have always existed still movies make Crores of profit.
The sad part of it is ... There have been logical conclusions to way they can fight and stop piracy put forth by gamers & other piracy consumers itself. But all they want to see is their profit margins increase, without actually making an effort towards it.

Dude i am done with replying to ur brainded assumptions of what i have written down. Please dont ever read my posts or reply to it.
Vote with ur wallet ... i cant vote against something i have already brought. Assassins creed unity, Games for Windows live, i can put a list out. Not buying games which are half assed releases ... do ur thick skull ever be able to comprehend that people buy games then like to play and end of not being able to do so because of a shit load of reasons i am not going to list over here.

Then don't bother writing nonsense if you don't want me to reply.

If you are apprehensive about problems. How about doing something sane for a change like waiting for reviews and feedback to come out before buying instead of giving lame justifications for piracy. See, you know you would pirate anyway regardless of the case and if not this, you would find some other silly justification to tell for doing it, so why even bother giving out these silly justifications to glorify the act at all?

Your justifications are as weak as that of the guy who who looted a bank and after getting caught, gave a lecture to the police and media how he is doing the country a favor by saving the money from politicians who are looting the country.

If you think a Sony TV that you want is over priced or might not work the way that you want it to, would you steal it from a shop instead of buying it? Piracy is not no different and its illegal and all, but because the consequences are rarely felt in our country, people go ahead and do it. There simply is no valid justification for piracy. You do it because you can get away with it at the moment. The day consequences start getting real, all your justifications will evaporate into thin air.

Last edited:
In cases, people have pirated games at higher cost than buying the original.
This doesn't even make sense

I have seen GTA san andreas being sold by CD shops in my hometown for about 100rs per disc.. It was around 4-5 discs I think, don't remember exactly but my friends used to buy them.. :)
Those days I used to connect to internet using a dial up modem :p
Honestly during those days, I don't think we even understood the concept of original games.. And since we have bought the cd by paying money, it was like we owned the copyrights to the game.. Then we would go to another friend's place who would have a cd writer in his PC and everyone would then get their own copies.. :p

Now after so many years when we have started working in the IT, we have come to understand the value of writing a piece of code.. :p

I have seen GTA san andreas being sold by CD shops in my hometown for about 100rs per disc.. It was around 4-5 discs I think, don't remember exactly but my friends used to buy them..
GTA San Andreas was 8 disc game. I had bought it for 400/- (50 per disk) from the roadside shops near CST, Mumbai.

Surprising that so many members still think piracy is legit - yet many of these members would be willing to spend 50 K or more (sometimes much more) on the latest and greatest shiny hardware.

Work and family does not give me the luxury of playing too much - but whatever I have played (recently on the XBOX ONE) I have bought originals.

^^ Seems more like a selective bypass than a crack.

To give an analogy, cracking a DRM is like cracking a strong lock on a door, If you are able to find the technique to crack that particular type of lock, you will be able to use it on all such locks with some tweaking. But a bypass is more like being able to open one of hundred doors protected by this lock because the hinges on the door were weak and could be dismantled with some work, so instead of cracking the lock, you target the weakness in other parts of the door.

^^ Seems more like a selective bypass than a crack.

To give an analogy, cracking a DRM is like cracking a strong lock on a door, If you are able to find the technique to crack that particular type of lock, you will be able to use it on all such locks with some tweaking. But a bypass is more like being able to open one of hundred doors protected by this lock because the hinges on the door were weak and could be dismantled with some work, so instead of cracking the lock, you target the weakness in other parts of the door.
I think cracking Denuvo is much harder than to bypass it.

Update: Rise of the Tomb Raider has also been cracked by the same guy. Just Cause 3 seems to be the next.

Back