Windows Latest Windows 10 update crashes computer, deleted files.

6pack

ex-Mod
Source: https://www.slashgear.com/windows-10-update-deletes-files-crashes-computers-23618085/

The latest update to Windows 10 from Microsoft has a few issues. Users have reported that this latest software update caused their computer to crash, more than once. Users have also reported that this latest update to Windows 10 deleted files – an offense not many are willing to take sitting down. This is the update called Windows 10 KB4549951, originally released on April 14, 2020.

Users have reported a wide variety of error codes and messages from Windows 10 with this update:
– PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
– CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
– ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
– INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
– MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
– DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
– Portcls.sys
– 0x8007000d
– 0x800f081f
– 0x80073701
– Bluetooth connection failed
– Wi-fi connection failed
– System performance reduction

Glad that I'm not at all updating /patching my pc ever since (jan this yr) the horror of such stupids updates affected gaming performance.

Does Microsoft do these things on purpose? What exactly LTSC do with updates? How to buy a legit LTSC licence?
I got a key for Windows 10 LTSC from an IT friend ( all of the laptops issued from Geneva office have LTSC in them and all those I've seen have the same key, I bought a laptop which came with Windows 10 home, my friend installed LTSC from a thumbdrive and used his windows key, it's working normally, however it says Windows 10 LTSC 2016, not 2019) will this stop working after 2025? It didn't allow me to install Microsoft Store ( saying something like the administrator has disabled this feature, not Microsoft) What does it mean?
Sorry for my ignorance. My knowledge of Windows is very limited.

Does Microsoft do these things on purpose? What exactly LTSC do with updates? How to buy a legit LTSC licence?
I got a key for Windows 10 LTSC from an IT friend ( all of the laptops issued from Geneva office have LTSC in them and all those I've seen have the same key, I bought a laptop which came with Windows 10 home, my friend installed LTSC from a thumbdrive and used his windows key, it's working normally, however it says Windows 10 LTSC 2016, not 2019) will this stop working after 2025? It didn't allow me to install Microsoft Store ( saying something like the administrator has disabled this feature, not Microsoft) What does it mean?
i'll try my best to answer a few of your questions but i'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me is on here who can answer better. LTSC is a clean version of windows which only gets security updates, none of the consumer bloatware and their updates come with it.
There is so far no proper way to buy a LTSC key without being a corporate company and buying officially from microsoft themselves, most people just either get a free ltsc key from their friends in IT like you or they pirate it like me lol (yet i still get security updates or something else but updates are being installed but nothing has broke so far, i am to believe that these are security updates because so far nothing has broke and my windows version hasn't updated). Just like how people are using windows 7 to this day, in the same way,ltsc 2016 will most likely continue to work as long as the system works. It won't allow you to download microsoft store because no one needs it in a work enviroment, although there is a way to download it but it isn't official and if you do buy any games like forza on it it won't work. This is the best i can say, hope i was of help. P:S - Using windows 10 ltsc 1809 i think! It's really good

Explanation from a Microsoft tech about LTSC:

The Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) is designed for Windows 10 devices and use cases where the key requirement is that functionality and features don’t change over time. Examples include medical systems (such as those used for MRI and CAT scans), industrial process controllers, and air traffic control devices. These devices share characteristics of embedded systems: they are typically designed for a specific purpose and are developed, tested, and certified before use. They are treated as a whole system and are, therefore, commonly “upgraded” by building and validating a new system, turning off the old device, and replacing it with the new, certified device.

We designed the LTSC with these types of use cases in mind, offering the promise that we will support each LTSC release for 10 years--and that features, and functionality will not change over the course of that 10-year lifecycle.

Differences between the Semi-Annual Channel and LTSC
As I noted above, Windows 10 devices in the Semi-Annual Channel receive twice-yearly feature updates, once in the spring and once in the fall. These updates contain new features, services, and other major changes. Security updates, optimizations, and other minor updates or patches are released every month thereafter.

To deliver on the commitment of no changes to features or functionality, a Windows 10 LTSC release does not contain any of the components of Windows 10 that may change over the life of the release. These components include Microsoft Edge (as a modern browser, it is constantly evolving to support the current modern browser web standards) as well as components/applications regularly updated via the Microsoft Store, such as Camera, Cortana, OneNote, and other modern apps that continue to advance with innovative improvements.

Internet Explorer is included in Windows 10 LTSC releases as its feature set is not changing, even though it will continue to get security fixes for the life of a Windows 10 LTSC release.

The LTSC cadence
We create a new LTSC release approximately every three years, and each release contains all the new capabilities and support included in the Windows 10 features updates that have been released since the previous LTSC release. Unlike the year-and-month terminology employed to describe Windows 10 features updates (e.g. 1703 or 1809), LTSC releases are named with a specific year, such as Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016 or Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019, and they align to perpetual Office releases such as Office 2019.

Each LTSC release receives 10 years of servicing and support. During the life of a LTSC release, you can upgrade your devices to the next or latest LTSC release free of charge using an in-place upgrade, or to any currently supported release of Windows 10. Because the LTSC is technically its own SKU, an upgrade is required from Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC to Windows 10 Enterprise, which supports the Semi-Annual Channel.

As with the Semi-Annual Channel, LTSC devices receive regular quality and security updates to ensure that device security stays up to date. While quality updates are available for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, you can choose to defer them using tools such as Windows Update for Business or System Center Configuration Manager.

Well I sincerely feel that ever since the crap Fall Creators Update (Version 1709), we can conclude that thisMS update team is either managed/led by bunch of inexperienced supervisors or the team/staff itself is incapable or consists of some freshers/noobs hired from a nearby college.
Hence every update is simply bringing lots of headache and pain..
I don't even know if I will update my windows this yr or not.
For me its a Windows lockdown for good! :p

Windows 10 has worked well for me since the beginning, no issues that I recall, even with all the updates. But I have "standard" hardware and don't do gaming or anything exotic with my PC so maybe that's the reason.

:D I meant like overclocking or RGB lighting or fancy hardware (sound/GPU/bluetooth/wifi whatever) or weird customisations in the OS/software/UI and what not.
Post automatically merged:

I have a Ryzen 1700 with a basic AMD Radeon RX 460 GPU and not much else fancy.

Actually I have total 4 computers - one assembled desktop PC (Ryzen 1700), two AIOs and a laptop, no issues on any of them with windows 10.

:D I meant like overclocking or RGB lighting or fancy hardware (sound/GPU/bluetooth/wifi whatever) or weird customisations in the OS/software/UI and what not.

I have a Ryzen 1700 with a basic AMD Radeon RX 460 GPU and not much else fancy.

Actually I have total 4 computers - one assembled desktop PC (Ryzen 1700), two AIOs and a laptop, no issues on any of them with windows 10.
Well rgb and stuff has nothing to do with OS performance or updates. It purely depends on your psu and motherboard factors. You can extend the rbg lghting just like diwali or xmas if you got the proper psu power
OC as well doesn't affect patching but might affect OS overall performance, if it handles well or not depends on how accurately the system is fine-tuned on OC parameters.

I'm usinfg enterprise ediiton and until last year (Dec 2019) no update issues except for the one which came in Q3 whch affected Farcry and other FPS gaming for most of the many users which again was taken care in Q4 updates.
But this year I haad to sadly rollback and still havent updated.

I'm just knocking on wood that I haven't jinxed myself now and the next major update 2004 version ("May update") doesn't screw up any of my computers :D

Well rgb and stuff has nothing to do with OS performance or updates. It purely depends on your psu and motherboard factors. You can extend the rbg lghting just like diwali or xmas if you got the proper psu power
OC as well doesn't affect patching but might affect OS overall performance, if it handles well or not depends on how accurately the system is fine-tuned on OC parameters.

I'm usinfg enterprise ediiton and until last year (Dec 2019) no update issues except for the one which came in Q3 whch affected Farcry and other FPS gaming for most of the many users which again was taken care in Q4 updates.
But this year I haad to sadly rollback and still havent updated.

That's not true. Stuff like doing OC for CPU/GPU/RAM can introduce silent errors/corruption if not BSODs which is why you see people running heavy stress tests to ensure stable OC.

Last edited:
I'm just knocking on wood that I haven't jinxed myself now and the next major update 2004 version ("May update") doesn't screw up any of my computers :D

That's not true. Stuff like doing OC for CPU/GPU/RAM can introduce silent errors/corruption if not BSODs which is why you see people running heavy stress tests to ensure stable OC.
Thats what I mentioned earlier it all depends how accurately the OC is done & fine-tuned. And yes the stress tests are necessary but actually not reliable at times.
Say you OC your system and ran a Prime test for 24hrs and it passes without issues but extend the same test for another 48hrs and it might fail in between but we cant conclude that the OC has failed and its is unstable.
As an experiment yrs ago we ran a stress test on a friends stock i5 machine and surprisingly the test failed at 32nd hours which itself was weird. But till date he is using the same system with zero bsods or other issues.

Is it OK to ignore software update? or we should be update our software everytime..
It's generally better to update software to get rid of bugs and other problems the current version might have but there are times when the new updates break the software and can cause problems, very much like a double edged sword. It totally depends on you wether you would like to ignore or install the updates, usually major big updates (Like the upgrade from Windows 10 (1809) to Windows 10 (1909)) are prone to breaking the software but a general hotfix has less chance of creating problems.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Generally, most consumers will feel absolutely no real time effects due to changes unless there is a ground breaking bug. So yeah, you can definitely go ahead with the pending updates on whatever you are mulling over.

Back