Learning C

The C Programming Language by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie .

At the first look might seem difficult, but this is the best I have came across .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Schaum's Outline of Programming with C by Byron Gottfried very good one if your are just starting with C.

Spend more time coding then reading the book(whatever book you prefer or comfortable with). Ratio of around 2:5(reading/coding) is what i recommend. :)

Let Us C by Kanitkar is the best for beginner

thn u should try the book C Programming Language by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie

^there is no ideal language dude ... its not that C is not good for starting coding .. but since there are many newer and easier languages you can go for them first . "Python" is a very very popular and easier language to learn than c ... give that a try . In fact learn it till u fully understand the basics of programming and then if it is necessary to learn C only for ur work then go learn C .. or else if u wanna code in general and make stuff then go ahead with python only ... dont need to look back ... but I'm not saying live with python for the rest of your life . After you have learned python go for any language u like . Mostly you will go for the language that you will be required to use at work :) .

If you are a beginner than you should go for Programming in ANSI C by E. Balagurusamy. It is the best book for a beginner and after reading it you should do more and more practical programming on a compiler like Turbo C and Visual C to become advanced C programmer because as of my experience I learned 90% of my C by doing more and more practical programming rather than reading notes. Yet these notes are also important but I should recommend you to concentrate on practical work more. Good Luck for your C tour :) :cool2:

@scorpy i have no experience in python but i learnt C on my own and understood the basics quite easily and those are the basics for any programming language. if there are basics inferior to C basics i doubt it...

Prophet said:
/snip/ ...you should do more and more practical programming on a compiler like Turbo C and Visual C to become advanced C programmer /snip/

dude, you all cant be serious.... is this a troll the newb thread or what???
get a standards compliant compiler first, like gcc. or pick one from this list :
C++ Compilers

and dont use let us c. bloody book will ruin your skills. i havent used a c book, but this c++ book is a better alternative : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/02..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EQNSBSR5WPA8EWHAE73

Back