Car & Bike Learning & Licensing issue

nRiTeCh

Skilled
My friends brother has shifted to pune for work purpose and as 2 wheeler is the only reliable source here he got no option but to learn one.
So he went to a local driving school to inquire and there they asked him in fact inquired him with weird questions. He is from Mumbai and already has a 4 wheeler license since 10 yrs.

The school straight away told him to get a learners license for 2 wheeler from Mumbai itself and only then we can teach you.
When he said he wants to do it on Pune address they said as per RTO a person cannot have licenses from various places on his name. If he got first license from xyz place henceforth all further licenses must be procured from that place only. And if you insist on another place then first transfer all old licenses to that place and only then you get to have new license from there.

Wtf?:eek::confused: When did RTO came with such rubbish shit rules.

Eg: If a person is from rameshwaram and he now work in delhi, he has to take 14 days leaves to get his learning license from rameshwaram to ride pillion in Delhi??:mad:

Can somebody shed some light on this?? I think that idiot got no knowledge.

Now in pune, people from all over world come for studies for 4-5yrs so for learning license they go back to their countries?? Pathetic!:mad:

If license is to be done in Mumbai then won't this poor fella learn it in Mumbai and get all licensing done from there only.

they probably want to rip you off, so they're just wearing you down beforehand...

Everything is done with money these days, even when there's a straightforward, legal way to do it.

i made my 2 & 4 licence from tardeo rto for 60 bucks back in 2000. even then people were paying 1-2k for it.

The discussion is about getting 2 different licenses done from different zones. He ain't at all asking for money or anything.

The training schools guy is right, You indeed need NOC from issuing RTO to transfer the licence and if u want another learners licence, Also if he already has an 4 wheelers then why he need a 2 wheelers drivers license they both are same.

It's the same way you cannot have 2 passports/2 weapon/2 Pancards on same name on 2 different address its works the same for drivers licence.

The training schools guy is right, You indeed need NOC from issuing RTO to transfer the licence and if u want another learners licence, Also if he already has an 4 wheelers then why he need a 2 wheelers drivers license they both are same.

It's the same way you cannot have 2 passports/2 weapon/2 Pancards on same name on 2 different address its works the same for drivers licence.
U Crazy! Dude 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers license is different.
And he doesnt want to transfer any license, he wants a new license in new city.

The discussion is about getting 2 different licenses done from different zones. He ain't at all asking for money or anything.

What i meant is you can override any rules like NOC etc by paying bribes. Maybe this guy is leading you to that path. Maybe not.

Nope, 2 and 4 are completely different categories. Just because you have a 4 licence doesn't qualify you to ride a 2 legally.

U Crazy! Dude 4 wheelers and 2 wheelers license is different.
And he doesnt want to transfer any license, he wants a new license in new city.
They're in one if you get both. You cant have two driving licenses. Your friend should apply online if possible, get learning license from mumbai and then after the duration, go get permanent license. Its a govt thing. The guy is probably correct.

They're in one if you get both. You cant have two driving licenses. Your friend should apply online if possible, get learning license from mumbai and then after the duration, go get permanent license. Its a govt thing. The guy is probably correct.
Now that's probability again.
4 yrs ago my cousin who is from Nagpur has his 4 wheeler license registered from Nagpur. He then came to Pune for higher studies and got his 2 wheeler license registered here. He wasn't shown such rules or anything. Now he got 2 licenses from different zones, is it illegal? To add he was caught on a occasion for not wearing helmet his bike was taken to rto for parking in wrong place. His license was scanned or whatever so the hawaldar didnt asked him about licenses in different zones coz obviously they must have got his full kundli.

Legally you cannot have two separate licences but plenty of people do, even multiple licences from the same rto back in the booklet days. not sure if it's possible with the smart cards.

My friend has booklet license and so do and many others who have 20+ old licenses.. In early 2000 yr there wasn't concept of smart cards.
And it isn't mandate to convert booklet into smart cards unless you lost booklet and then you get smart card in its place.

4 yrs ago my cousin who is from Nagpur has his 4 wheeler license registered from Nagpur. He then came to Pune for higher studies and got his 2 wheeler license registered here. He wasn't shown such rules or anything. Now he got 2 licenses from different zones, is it illegal? To add he was caught on a occasion for not wearing helmet his bike was taken to rto for parking in wrong place. His license was scanned or whatever so the hawaldar didnt asked him about licenses in different zones coz obviously they must have got his full kundli.
Thats cause there was no linking of licenses to central database or Aadhar. He can try to see if its possible. If you want to try, id suggest go for both bike and car again. He can just juck the older one.

It is illegal to have two driving licences. Zone doesn't matter. If caught, RTO/police will impose penalties. I have experienced this first hand. This is similar to how PAN works.
The same licence should be updated to mention two wheeler to enable him to ride one.

Though I'm not sure if it can be done from Pune itself or if it needs to be done from Mumbai. My guess is that it should be done from the issuing RTO or the license needs to be transferred to Pune and then updated to add two wheeler.

It is illegal to have two driving licences. Zone doesn't matter. If caught, RTO/police will impose penalties. I have experienced this first hand. This is similar to how PAN works.
The same licence should be updated to mention two wheeler to enable him to ride one.

Though I'm not sure if it can be done from Pune itself or if it needs to be done from Mumbai. My guess is that it should be done from the issuing RTO or the license needs to be transferred to Pune and then updated to add two wheeler.
Now thats some sensible answer i see. Ok will ask friend to inquire in rto or in branded driving schools.

Procedure to get NOC is simple and if you know someone in RTO office then it can be issued on the same day but you need to visit the RTO and surrender your DL and you will be issued to a NOC letter to from issuing RTO to new RTO that they have checked the records and there is no criminal cases are pending hence they don’t have any objection.

Now after getting NOC you will have to visit new RTO, do the paperwork and it takes around 45–60 days to get new DL.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-merge-driving-licenses-of-two-different-states-in-India

Though this question is about 2 licenses, it will work with your case too.

Can't we get a new license in new city for a 2 wheeler without affecting old license in old city for 4 wheeler?
That guy is just gonna be here for 3 odd yrs then again shift back to home town or may be elsewhere depending when he gets job.

Can't we get a new license in new city for a 2 wheeler without affecting old license in old city for 4 wheeler?
That guy is just gonna be here for 3 odd yrs then again shift back to home town or may be elsewhere depending when he gets job.

Legally he should not apply for a new license when he already has one. Having said that, I do not believe there is any check happening in the RTO to verify if applicant already has a license. So if he applies for a new one most likely he will get it. Probably Aadhaar linking will help in this case;).

Then again he needs to be careful to show the correct license during the random police checks. Expect some trouble if he is caught with two licences.

Last edited:
Back