Learnt C++, need assistance with Java

Python is object oriented. Java would be easier for him because the syntax is similar to C++, It's ultimately your decision, do what you are comfortable with. :)

The best 2 steps:

First complete the book : Head First Java
Next get the book : Beginning Android 3 (By Mark Murphy)

That should get you to pretty much everything u need to get started...

Android App Dev Here..

What mistake everyone does is, and most of the Indian students which I have observed most, is just go on reading books like novels. And understanding the concepts. But that's gets you nowhere in real life. I suggest you to try to apply concepts & start solving problems. You will be gauge yourself how much actually you have 'learnt c++' :)

But that's gets you nowhere in real life.
I agree to that. in fact, one of my little cousins is doing his engineering 2nd yr. when he came to me for advice on programming; I gave him my HTC mozart and asked him to develop apps for it. he is no c++ programmer (he says he is advanced beginner of C#) but, he already released 2 apps to the windows market place in his first year. now he is working on XNA for some music player and using gyro/accelero meter.
Since he is in second year; I gave him my ployer momo 9 as it has 5 point touch system and its android. now he has to learn java for it. My ultimate goal is to get him to write device driver for one of the hand held device.

So, my question to op: how many apps have you published?

I suggest you to try to apply concepts & start solving problems.
I'll second that, regardless of which language you pick up. Most decent books have some exercises at the end of the chapter. I'd suggest starting with those. Project Euler is a good online challenge
Project Euler

You will be gauge yourself how much actually you have 'learnt c++' :)
When I was in college, I thought I knew C pretty well. Once I started working, I realized that I was in conceit and knew nothing. Reading the C FAQ made me realize my knowledge of pointers itself wasn't sufficient to understand many of the questions themselves :ashamed:

And C++ is much bigger language. Template metaprogramming blew my mind the first time I saw it. If you can understand the questions on the C++ FAQ, i'd say hats off.

I have published 0 APPS till date haha

The Head First Java book is completely practical and application based. Exercises on every page that I'm trying to do. I'm not one of the crammers (seriously, u should see me study, if I do study haa)

We should start a serious programming question sub-forum type of a thing. You know a programmers club of sorts where we can show our work, discuss, and find partners for any independent projects that we might be doing.

We should start a serious programming question sub-forum type of a thing. You know a programmers club of sorts where we can show our work, discuss, and find partners for any independent projects that we might be doing.

Indeed, I need Web Developers, once who know how to work with FB Twitter etc. APIs, my start-up, and finally an APP version of it.

^^ You don't need anyone for helping you. Most programming language has vast documentation and third party open applications like fb/twitter has their well laid out APIs document ion for leveraging them in your application.

All you need is to read and implement

If you can master it C++ is the best language, with added third party toolkit like QT/GTk+ you can do wonderful application in c++. Since runs directly on machine rather than on some virtual environment performance of your app will be far more than what you can have in java or .net

C++ is pretty darn difficult to master. It has template programming, function programming, OOP concepts, template meta-programming, C, and the STL.Bjarme Stroustrup said, "Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out", which is completely true, C++ gives you a lot facility and freedom and tools to do whatever it is that you need to do, but it's not always the easiest way to achieve your objective. I agree with your performance part. C++ code will be faster when compared to an interpreted language. That is why most games are developed using C++. But the these days people have a quad core processor to run word and browse the internet. This has made the life of the programmer a lot easier too. He does not need to worry about efficiency anymore, his major priority is getting his application out there as soon as possible with as little effort as possible. C++ loses as far as simplicity is concerned. Why wouldn't you use C# with Visual Studio where you can drag and place your widgets to design your application. My mom could do that. Java also makes this easy with swing.I must say though the Qt library is very consistent, has great documentation and is a breeze to use.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

I'm using chromium on debian and for some reason I can't "Reply with quote", nor put newline, nor edit my posts! This is after this new system was implemented.

^Actually it does not matter. All it needs is mastering any language. by mastering I do not mean just reading like novel which most of the folks do.

Since Python is easier, one can start 'implementing' it easily. If you already mastered C or C++ [which is not that easy, trust me], Python will be just 3-day game for you :)

Python is not in engineering curriculum. Everyone has C/C++. So it will be easier for C++ / Java also.

TLDR, learn / start from anything which interests you most :)

Even i think this should be the proper progress for a programmer or rather Python at the end.
Just my personal opininon.
Well, as I stated that was my learning progress. I never planned anything. I had to learn C, C++ and Java consecutively in my Engineering syllabus. In the mean time, I learned Python and other languages.

^Actually it does not matter. All it needs is mastering any language. by mastering I do not mean just reading like novel which most of the folks do.

Since Python is easier, one can start 'implementing' it easily. If you already mastered C or C++ [which is not that easy, trust me], Python will be just 3-day game for you :)

Python is not in engineering curriculum. Everyone has C/C++. So it will be easier for C++ / Java also.

TLDR, learn / start from anything which interests you most :)
+1 ;)

Back