LED TV recommendations

mayur.3.92

Recruit
Hello members,

I'm planing to get a HD LED 42" - 50" very soon (1st week of March)and would love to need your suggestions for that.

It would be mainly used as TV combined with 2.1 / 4.1 audio system but I've plans for purchasing a NVIDIA SHIELD (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013HJ13V0) or a NUC PC so that i can use it for productivity and gaming purposes at times.

I'm looking to get a 3D TV but not a Smart TV, not really keen on brands as well but yes i don't want to deal with pathetic customer support / after sales service in case of some manufacturing defects / issues.

My current experience with some small players / small brands (Micromax) is that it depends on your LUCK if you get a good product that doesn't show signs of issues within few days or a month then all would be good and hence you don't have to deal with the horrid support.

Please note that the TV viewing time at our house is about 10 - 12 Hours so would that be an issue with the performance / life based on the brands etc ?

As of now there is nothing much that i can think of but yes would love if people over here can add their inputs on other things :) adding to this don't mind adding or providing information on all the technical stuff like abut panels, refresh rates etc i'm very easy going with techy things :)

Edit : I have had a look at Sony and Samsung TV for now and at one showroom the sales person set both the units for side by side comparison and i see that the picture quality in Samsung was better than sony's (Seemed strange to me)

The Samsung model above was 43j5100 (44,500/-)

There was other model that was demoed and it is : J5300 Joysmart series (48")

We even saw Sony R562C all was good with this TV though.

Now the big question what do we choose, if at all there are better options then please let me know since we see that the sales guys are trying to manipulate things according to their margins etc but none seem to provide a true review of the product.

I personally liked W800C / W950C series TV's but i really don't need Android TV or Smart TV.

Considering brands like micromax,Vu,Videocon, Philips is not a problem but i'm not really sure of the picture quality and the support that i'll have afterwards adding to this we don't even see TV displayed at stores so Gurus please share your knowledge and experiences on these TV brands

Last edited:
I bought the Samsung 43j5100 and I am delighted with the quality of the TV. I have a Tata Sky HD connection with it.
I was concerned about the quality of SD channels due to the large screen size but even they work great with this tv. HD is another thing altogether.

I also use it for watching movies and episodes via Pendrive. I've watched 480p mostly and few 720p movies and they all look great. Even the avi format episodes of some series look ok on this tv.

Sound quality is also good. You can totally live without adding Soundbar or speakers.

Overall, It is a very nice TV and would definitely recommend.

I got Philips 42PFL4150 model last September, and it has been working fine. I am satisfied with build, picture and sound quality. I suppose Philips is made by Videocon (?). The On-screen menu system is bad by today's standards. Apart from that I am happy with it. I got it online for 31k from snapdeal.

Hello members,

Firstly thanks a lot for the suggestions and i really appreciate all the help!

Fprbtime being i purchased micromax 50k2330uhd tv and all is well in there, however yes since its a 4K tv the SD upscaling isnt good, you do need a HD box with this other than that all is woth the price, menu or the UI is neat, im planning to return it since i have a light bleed in panel.

Im happy in getting this brand tv but only worried about after sales service, if it is good then this is good unit for the price, just check everything before you buy regarding this model if you have any questions do let me know so that i can answer them to satisfaction.

To people who have commented above id request you to share further info for helping our fellow forum members!

Dennis not really sure about Phillips and Videocon relation but im very keen towards phillips ambilight series and would need help from you abput the unit :)

Shubam same request to you as well on sharing details and please quote the price you got this for :)

Get 3 years extended warranty for your TV from Micromax, costs a small amount but has to be taken within 45 days of purchase/invoice.

The Philips model that I got is just Full HD and also not ambilight series. But it serves my purpose. I got it as it was one of the cheapest options among the brands I considered - Sony, LG, Samsung, Videocon, Philips. I was vary of Micromax and Vu (possibly better option than Micromax) for service part. But i have noticed based on experience of family and friends that irrespective of brands, modern LCD/LED TVs don't last as much as our older CRTs, and are too costly to repair

The Philips model that I got is just Full HD and also not ambilight series. But it serves my purpose. I got it as it was one of the cheapest options among the brands I considered - Sony, LG, Samsung, Videocon, Philips. I was vary of Micromax and Vu (possibly better option than Micromax) for service part. But i have noticed based on experience of family and friends that irrespective of brands, modern LCD/LED TVs don't last as much as our older CRTs, and are too costly to repair
Thanks for the input it helps in deciding further any approximate life expectancy ?

Back