LED TV vs projectors

jammy420

Adept
Have anyone tried using projectors as a replacement for TVs?

Open for Discussion

Btw, when was TE upgraded? looking cool. Was off for sometime

Jammy420,
Not now but few years(about 6 or 7 years) ago I wanted to do the same. What I learn during the research was, projectors were a poor in color reproduction and on top of that, the projection surface do have an effect on the quality and finally even a faint white light sneaking into the projection area will ruin the picture quality a lot. In the end I decided its not worth it and dropped the idea. I believe the projector technology has advanced during these time but I dont think they have advanced enough to offset the above mentioned drawbacks.

Regards
B.Life

I was in the same dilema, but unless you have a room with zero ambient light, projector doesn't make sense. Even the best projectors which cost several lakh rupees will never match a 4k televison for contrast and brightnes and colors, Oled tvs is on another level for contrast.

You need to have atleast true 3500ANSI lumens to be acceptable for a normal low lit room, you will also need to spend a lot on the projector screen or have a wall that is perfectly smooth along with the right paint.

Projectors which cost even 3 lakh or about are not 4k, they get to display fake 4k by pixel shifting.

Projectors just doesn't work for replacing a tv, since in a dusty country like india, you need to keep the lens clean ( all cheap ones have plastic lenses ,they may not be sealed) and the heat sink and fan are quickly going to fill up with dust and needs constant cleaning.

Lamps of the projectors are expensive to replace but just like tvs the electronics inside conk of sooner.

Ultra short throw projectors need the most demading screens or wall surface. In ultra short throw projector, the walls need to be perfectly smooth and flat, otherwise the picture or video the projector is projecting will highlight every flaw of the of wall because the light beam is parallel to the wall surface, like a car headlight or if you place a flashlight on the floor, you can see every imperfection , in this case of the screen or the wall.

Check out some ultra short throw projectors. Like mi projector : https://www.mi.com/us/mi-laser-projector-150/ . These are supposed to be easy to setup, can be placed on table near the projection wall.
These are a joke if you care about picture quality or color reproduction. Even midrange stuff like epson aren't that great. To get really good quality projection, what you need is a Christie's or a Sony ES. Neither are cheap.

after some googling came to the conclusion, projectors aren't for average home use as TVs for some more years.

My UI has all the Icons garbled. (PC, chrome)

My friend in the US uses a Benq short throw projector instead of a TV. Though you might not get the same picture quality , but what you get is a definite immersive experience and that is something one can get addicted to. Even I have plans for a projector instead of TV in my second bedroom. He decided to go for a projector because he can carry it back easily when he comes back to India which wouldn't have been possible with a big screen TV. Also we had gotten addicted to playing FIFA and watching champions league on a projector during our hostel days and that played a part in the decision as well.
You can't have the same expectations from both devices and hence will have to make your decision on the base of what matters most for you.

Last edited:
Back