Laptops Lenovo Flex 6 - 14 Inch. Display stopped working, display on external monitor works, cannot claim warranty

raksrules

Elite
I bought a Lenovo Flex 6 - 14 Inch laptop just 3 months back when I was in US. Now I am in India and the Lenovo service center told me that they cannot service my laptop. I contacted US support and they told they cannot help unless I have a way to send laptop to US or something. I am out of options. I have no clue what and how this happened.

The display has stopped working and I cannot see anything on screen, the screen doesn't even light up (no white screen or anything, just nothing) so I don't know what is wrong. I connected the laptop using HDMI to my TV and the display came on TV so I know laptop does not have issues with the actual unit apart from the display.

Can anyone tell if this is a problem I can try to fix myself? May be some connector between display and motherboard got disconnected to loosened? Since I am anyways out of options, I don't mind opening the laptop.

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Last edited:
You need a service manual for your laptop model. Go through it and then decide if you can and want to open it on your own.

There seems to be 2 different flex 6 models on the Lenovo website. The good thing is, the service manuals are available in their website, so you don’t have to hunt for it.

This is the documentation available for flex 6 arr model. The one called hardware maintenance manual is the one that you need.

Thanks a lot..mine is indeed the ARR one..I will read on it and see if it is of any help.

Edit: Sifted through the document. I have never done all this before so it is very intimidating. I don't even know what I am supposed to fix. :(

Last edited:
Ok so I just tried to start laptop again and display came and then it worked. Shut down laptop, started again and no display. So I have a feeling that it is just a connector that is loose which I need to somehow tighten.

If you feel it's just the connector then I would suggest you to take it to reliable laptop repair guy in your area and open the laptop in front of you and get it fixed.

Does anyone here know of any good and reliable laptop service center in Mumbai (especially near Borivali west)? I don't have the heart to take apart the laptop.

Ok so I gave the laptop to local laptop repair shop who took Rs. 250 for diagnostics. He told me entire LCD panel will need to be changed and it is vacuum sealed or something. He quoted me Rs. 12000 for the fix. For Now, I have decided to get the laptop back from them. I am trying to find someone traveling to US but if I have to get it done here or get a second opinion where even the fix can be preferably done, any suggestions anyone has?
Lenovo service center in Andheri East (near Marol) just took my serial number over phone and told me since this is outside bought, they cannot help and even Lenovo US told me I won't get service in India.
This is a 3 month old laptop so I am even more pissed off.
Post automatically merged:

Indraprasth Shopping center ?

Do they have people who fix laptop? I know that basement is filled with mobile shops.

Do they have people who fix laptop? I know that basement is filled with mobile shops.

I have same impressions. That's why ? at end of reply :p May be you can try visiting once.

Also I had a look at manual for this laptop. I believe your best bet is to send it back to USA for repair.

Try this basic troubleshooting video.

I usually search on YouTube if i want to open up anything. There's someone who has already done it or faced similar problems and has a solution.

Try this basic troubleshooting video.

I usually search on YouTube if i want to open up anything. There's someone who has already done it or faced similar problems and has a solution.

Thanks..I did see couple of videos but my case is connectors not being loose or something as eveything works fine with connected to TV.
Anyways another lenovo service center took the serial and eveything and told me no service. So I am on my own.

The guy who first did the diagnostic, I have asked him for a non touch screen screen to see how much cost can be reduced.

May be I will check one other repair guy. Else will open up the laptop myself after reading manual.

Opening the laptop isn't going to yeild any result as you already had the laptop opened in front of you bu the repair guy who quoted you 12k for the display. In fact dismantling it on your might mess-up things more and even worse.

So the current situation is to actually ascertain what exactly is wrong.
Is it the complete display gone (which i doubt) or a connector or something loose like the lip itself... (just like in case of phone where mostly the digitizer is the culprit but we all do away replacing the complete display for a hefty amount) So take this in mind.

Probably even something might be wrong with the igp not throwing the display to the laptop monitor but throwing good via vga/hdmi external outputs.

Its a brand new baby so don't spoil or dirty play it. Have patience. Ftw just use it with external monitors. Keep an eye on cpu/gpu temps etc.
Would suggest run some random benchmarks as well to ascertain all /rest of the hardware is good else as the time passes other components can fail in worse case scenario.

Also, try entering the BIOS and load optimal defaults and reboot and then again in bios look into the display settings if there's something you can fiddle with like Refresh rates, video memory bandwidth etc. Try lowering down these for test purpose.

Most importantly, once the laptop display somehow works, keep it running for as long as you can...7-8 hours. Run some game and keep playing for an hour or so. Observe the temps and also touch yourself on the screen, back of the lid etc. to sense any unusual hotness or warmth.

Dont panic.

If nothings working, last resort is to send it to US physically via a reliable source who can help you get all things sorted. What you need to hold on to is just patience and the right time.

Ok so one update. After that computer shop quoted me 12K to fix the display of my computer by changing the entire screen assembly, my dad took the laptop to another shop in Borivali (near Indraprasth, but not basement) and they told that the earlier guy (who quoted me 12K) had not done check completely and possible did screw something. This new shop needed my permission to try and fix it because he told that this repair may be little risky and laptop display may completely disappear. I gave go ahead since my display is anyways not there so no risk. He called yesterday and told that display turns on now, yet to ask if touch works or not.
Overall, it was not display which was faulty but issue was with motherboard. Some IC needing fixing and changing etc.
If all goes well, I may be out of around 3K out of pocket but things may be working fine then.

I bought a Lenovo Flex 6 - 14 Inch laptop just 3 months back when I was in US. Now I am in India and the Lenovo service center told me that they cannot service my laptop. I contacted US support and they told they cannot help unless I have a way to send laptop to US or something. I am out of options. I have no clue what and how this happened.

The display has stopped working and I cannot see anything on screen, the screen doesn't even light up (no white screen or anything, just nothing) so I don't know what is wrong. I connected the laptop using HDMI to my TV and the display came on TV so I know laptop does not have issues with the actual unit apart from the display.

Can anyone tell if this is a problem I can try to fix myself? May be some connector between acer laptop motherboard display and the fix for motherboard card adapter got disabled or disconnected to loosened? Since I am anyways out of options, I don't mind opening the laptop.

Can anyone help me in this regard?
Ok so one update. After that computer shop quoted me 12K to fix the display of my computer by changing the entire screen assembly, my dad took the laptop to another shop in Borivali (near Indraprasth, but not basement) and they told that the earlier guy (who quoted me 12K) had not done check completely and possible did screw something. This new shop needed my permission to try and fix it because he told that this repair may be little risky and laptop display may completely disappear. I gave go ahead since my display is anyways not there so no risk. He called yesterday and told that display turns on now, yet to ask if touch works or not.
Overall, it was not display which was faulty but issue was with motherboard. Some IC needing fixing and changing etc.
If all goes well, I may be out of around 3K out of pocket but things may be working fine then.

Too bad the Lenovo does not give International support. It was a bad decision to buy an electronic gadget without an International warranty from the US if you have no plans to return there.

Another problem I guess is some companies refuse to give warranty to laptops once it has opened by an unauthorized technician.

So if you are planning to repair the motherboard, it is better to find someone who is going to the US.

One of my friends faced a similar problem with his laptop. The Indian service center sent the motherboard to the proper support center based on a foreign country by themself.

You may ask the Lenovo support if they provide similar service.

Update: Seems I spoke too soon. The screen itself is gone and needs changing. Probably looking at 12K-17K expense. Will decide on it once I get a quote.

Back