Budget 71-90K Lenovo Ideapad s540 and Legion Y7000

P.Ping Tom

Disciple
Hi guys,

Need a laptop for home, work and multimedia use. Must be able to run multiple tasks smoothly such as having Firefox open with multiple tabs, running a real-time stock ticker at the botton, downloading and playing/streaming of video and audio, excel and word open at the same time. Will NOT be gaming. Looking for some IMMEDIATE advice as I'm planning on buying my laptop today itself.

1.) My first choice is the 15.6" Lenovo Ideapad s540 which has an intel core i5-8265U processor, 8g RAM and a 1tb SSD with Windows 10 Home and MS Office H & S 2019. Battery life, portability and price are a plus here for me, I'd just like to know your opinions on what you think I can expect performance wise given what I have mentioned above. Is this more than suitable for now and the forseeable future (3 years at least)? Also can I upgrade the RAM to 16gb without voiding the warranty? I've also heard the the screen brightness is 250 nits as opposed to 300 nits which is what is listed on the Lenovo website. Is 250 nits more than adequate for my needs? Any other thoughts on build quality and perforance will also be appreciated.

2.) The other laptop I'm considering is customising a Legion Y7000 as I do have a budget of upto Rs.1 lakh, but as mentioned earlier I will not be gaming at all, so will this laptop be good enough for all my non-gaming needs as mentioned above? If it's overkill I obviously won't buy it, but since I have the budget and am able to customize it, my only question is with regards to battery life. How good is the battery life on this laptop if I'm not gonna be gaming on it at all? I know it won't be as good as the Ideapad s540 but I'd really appreciate your guys input on this. If the battery life is approx. 3 hours or so even when not gaming, then I won't even consider buyig this.

Looking to make my purchase today itself, will really really be grateful for anyonne who's in the know and can inform me accordingly. Thanks a bunch! :)

Last edited:
Going by the specs and usage mentioned;

Option 2 is indeed overkill, option 1 is good enough. But please note that Intel have not been able to do anything considerable in recent years. i5-8265U is marginal upgrade to i5-820U,

Going by the specs and usage mentioned;

Option 2 is indeed overkill, option 1 is good enough. But please note that Intel have not been able to do anything considerable in recent years. i5-8265U is marginal upgrade to i5-820U,

Thanks for the prompt response, vyral_143! I think that almost settles it for me. Even if i5-8265U is a marginal upgrade, will it be able to handle the abovementioned multi-tasking that I throw at it for a good 3 years or so, or do you think it'll slow down and become redundant? Also, your opinion on the screen quality/brightness would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Thanks for the prompt response, vyral_143! I think that almost settles it for me. Even if i5-8265U is a marginal upgrade, will it be able to handle the abovementioned multi-tasking that I throw at it for a good 3 years or so, or do you think it'll slow down and become redundant? Also, your opinion on the screen quality/brightness would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

I am not sure about screen. i5-8265U should be able to handle your usage. You sure that it comes with 1TB SSD ? Cause it is unheard to me.

Click on view models. I got the 73k one with a 5k discount for 68k.
the same model was available for 63k some days back. I am tying from the 512gb ssd model right now. I love this laptop but it's very very sensitive, just the other day I picked up this laptop from one hand from the left side of the touch pad and it gave me bluescreen. Other than this, I am very happy with this laptop.

the same model was available for 63k some days back. I am tying from the 512gb ssd model right now. I love this laptop but it's very very sensitive, just the other day I picked up this laptop from one hand from the left side of the touch pad and it gave me bluescreen. Other than this, I am very happy with this laptop.

The 1tb ssd was for 63k on lenovo.com?

The 1tb ssd was for 63k on lenovo.com?
yep, with promo vantage. but it's nt valid anymore. i got mine for 58 something.

Last edited:
Back