Lifetime validity on prepaid mobile plans and deactivation

blr_p

Skilled
Numerous talk time recharge options are available for prepaid and they claim to have lifetime validity. What does lifetime mean ? as long as the telco has a license to operate in your circle.

So long as you have enough balance which never expires and if that balance is sufficient you need not even do a recharge. You get incoming calls forever.

When i queried airtel on this point i got wildly varying answers. you need to do a recharge every 30/45/60 days or number will be barred etc. Looking on the net i found even more variables like having to do a minium amount of recharge every 3/6 months to keep the number active. Why does lifetime validity require to be kept active.

Looking at replies given by TSP (telecom service providers) in response to a deactivation consultation paper by TRAI back in Oct 2012, they say DOT in 2011 said new numbers will be allocated solely on the basis of active numbers. since churn rates are 5% per month number of inactive numbers increases and this puts pressure on getting new numbers. So they decided that 60 days of inactivity implies inactive number means deactivation means you lost your number.

So what does active mean. Airtel's response...

Q2: Which (one or more) amongst the following should be included in the scope of activity
with regard to the criteria for deactivation of SIMs upon non-usage?
(i) Outgoing voice call
(ii) Incoming voice call
(iii) Outgoing video call
(iv) Incoming video call
(v) Outgoing SMS
(vi) Incoming SMS
(vii) Data transfer
(viii) Activation of a voucher
(ix) Switching the connection ‘ON’ by powering on the handset and SIM
(x) Any other

Bharti Airtel’s Response:

Any SIM would be considered as active / in-use if it is under the conditions mentioned under
S. Nos. (i), (ii), (iii), (iv), (v) & (vii) above, i.e. outgoing voice call, incoming voice call, outgoing
video call, incoming video call, outgoing SMS and data transfer during the specified period and
will not be included for deactivation due to non-usage.

For point no (vi), incoming SMS does not constitute usage since these maybe received from
Telemarketers who are carrying out promotions soliciting commercial transaction. Further, no
usage is done by the customer in receiving an SMS. For point no (viii), i.e. activation of a
voucher also does not constitute usage and should not be considered as an activity. For point no
(ix), merely by inserting the SIM into the handset and keeping it VLR registered is not meeting
the criteria of usage.

What was interesting is airtel does not consider recharging a sign of activity despite what their agents claim. incoming, outgoing calls , outgoing sms or data usage once every 60 days is the minimum required to maintain activity ie avoid deactivation. The replies by idea, reliance and tata are similar with only reliance including recharge as an option. The airtel prepaid application form also mentions the same criteria for activity, recharges are not mentioned at all. Comments by other TSP's on the deactivation consultation paper can be found here.

TRAI took their responses into consideratoin and came out with a regulation in Feb 2013 called the 6th amendment to consumer protection regulations. Where they increased the 60 day limit to 90 days and retained the activity critieria. They also said should any activity occur in this time period that the countdown timer resets again to 90 days. And no number will be deactivated so long as balance exceeds Rs.20. So if no activity telco can deduct Rs.20 after 90 days and the number is retained by providing a grace period.

This means if you are a dual sim user with sparing use of the second sim you can retain your number for not much. Course the telcos will send you sms saying you must do this or that or lose your number. At this point you have to decide whether you want to state trais regulation to them ie call their bluff or take the risk of inconvenience when they disconnect you (if at all). 90 days is a long time to go without any incoming or outgoing calls so most people might never get to this point.

I've found getting clear answers for a simple question to be a rather trying affair but TRAI's regulations and the telcos responses (official) are crystal clear.

Last edited:
I use a very old mtnl sim. In fact I dont use it. :D
Since past 8 years I've recharged it only 6-8 times or so for Rs.50 or 30. But now do it twice a year just to keep it alive. I make no call or sms. Just once in 6 months make an outgoing call to my another no. and vice-versa and same with sms.

Now planning to convert it into nano sim and use its data pack.:cool: which is pretty cheap.

If receiving SMS is counted no number can be disconnected due to the number of SPAM/recharge offers msgs carrier himself sends;)
Airtel every week 4/5
MTS Every day one
BSNL every week 4/5
MTNL every week 8/9

I agree. Even I have read in several articles that you need to have some call activity for the number to be active (60 days) and about the Rs.20 minimum balance that you need to maintain. Didn't know they have extended it to 90 days.

I observed an interesting phenomenon in my Airtel my account page. I have a dual SIM moto G and had turned off the signal for the secondary prepaid SIM for couple of days. I got a temporary validity date in the my account page that was 60 days from the day I switched it off completely. Once I turned my signal back on the temp validity date disappeared. I have turned my signal off again. Will post screenshot in this thread once it reflects in my account page.

So just make an outgoing call every 60/90? days and maintain Rs.20 min balance. I have been keeping one of my home state Docomo prepaid alive with this method for the last 20 months.

BSNL though is completely different. You need to pay Rs.36 on-wards depending on the plan for a 6 month validity. Nothing else matters. I misplaced my SIM and didn't use it for 8-9 months. Just recharged online to extend validity. Just got a replacement SIM last month. Worked fine.

Last edited:
I agree. Even I have read in several articles that you need to have some call activity for the number to be active (60 days) and about the Rs.20 minimum balance that you need to maintain. Didn't know they have extended it to 90 days.
90 days as mandated in the 6th amendment is the minimum period as linked above came into force Feb 2013. Airtel acknowledged it in their quarterly report a couple of months later.

I observed an interesting phenomenon in my Airtel my account page. I have a dual SIM moto G and had turned off the signal for the secondary prepaid SIM for couple of days. I got a temporary validity date in the my account page that was 60 days from the day I switched it off completely. Once I turned my signal back on the temp validity date disappeared. I have turned my signal off again. Will post screenshot in this thread once it reflects in my account page.
Is this with a talktime recharge with lifetime validity ?

when i got my sim it had lifetime and the validity date shows year end 2037.

my device is in airplane mode for days at a time and validity always shows 2037. I have about Rs.30 on it, will have to see what happens when i do a lifetime recharge to increase balance.

So just make an outgoing call every 60/90? days and maintain Rs.20 min balance. I have been keeping one of my home state Docomo prepaid alive with this method for the last 20 months.
You don't even have to make an outgoing call, just an incoming call should suffice (though none of the airtel reps i spoke to would acknowledge it) and more than Rs.20 balance.

Rs. 20.01 is ok but 20.00 is not ok.

That is for a prepaid connection. postpaid requires payment of monthly rental.

activity means a voice call (outgoing or incoming) or video call (outgoing or incoming) or an outgoing SMS or a data session (upload or download) or usage of Value Added Services or payment of rental in case of post paid connection or any other usage, as may be specified by the service provider, as an activity.

Now if you don't do that, they will deduct Rs.20 from your balance and give you another 30 days to do some activity upon which your number enters an automatic number retention scheme. If you still don't do anything they will keep deducting Rs.20 every 30 days. They can't deactivate you until your balance drops below Rs.20.

If you just want to hold onto the number then they have safe custody schemes that work up to two years but expire immediately if you make a call within the time period.

Rs 150 with 6 months validity, for Rs 300 with 12 months validity and for Rs 600 with 24 months validity. During the currency of safe custody, customer can start using the SIM whenever he / she desires which will automatically terminate the safe custody.
But this works out more than deducting Rs.20 every month isn't it.

Also they have to give you 30 days notice that your number will be deactivated so you should get a message from them close to day 60. Say you then get an incoming call or make one, then that 90 day counter resets again.

BSNL though is completely different. You need to pay Rs.36 on-wards depending on the plan for a 6 month validity. Nothing else matters. I misplaced my SIM and didn't use it for 8-9 months. Just recharged online to extend validity. Just got a replacement SIM last month. Worked fine.
if you pick recharge with lifetime validity then how can it expire after 6 months ? only if you don't have activity.

Whatever conditions they stipulate are an additional option to TRAI's rules and cannot supercede them.

TRAI's rules apply to everybody.

Last edited:
@blr_p

http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/tariff_excel_pre.html

My bad regarding BSNL. They have only one life time plan and rest are 180 days validity with plan recharge starting from Rs.36 which doesn't bother about activity.
But their lifetime plan states in the site that min recharge of Rs.200 every 6 months. But that would be contradicting TRAI right?

My main validity for my airtel prepaid is 2037 and my balance is also lifetime validity. Unfortunately I am unable to replicate that temporary validity part even after switching off my prepaid for couple of days. Will post screenshot if I am able to.

@blr_p

http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/tariff_excel_pre.html

My bad regarding BSNL. They have only one life time plan and rest are 180 days validity with plan recharge starting from Rs.36 which doesn't bother about activity.
BSNL is a bit unique. As it is they won't deactivate you for a minimum of 180 days unlike others which would do it in 60 days. Since increased by TRAI to 90 days.

See BSNL's reply.

Their answer is ambiguous because the question asks which one or more. Implying there may be more than one condition required to qualify for activity. Recharge is included as an option to qualify for activity but is it necessary or not ?

They offer 3 lifetime plans 1100, 3300 & 5500 (source komparify app) which also is unique since all the others offer lifetime recharge options starting from Rs.10 and above. So BSNL has not added these lower cost lifetime recharges and still has their old lifetime plans which are in effect for many years now.

But their lifetime plan states in the site that min recharge of Rs.200 every 6 months. But that would be contradicting TRAI right?
Right, so BSNL should be queried on this point for an official response (preferably in writing). It's possible their site hasn't been updated since the regulation came out. TRAI's regulation should apply equally to every one. Airtel's prepaid application forms still state 60 days as a minimum for deactivation due to inactivity so they too are using forms before this regulation came out.

My main validity for my airtel prepaid is 2037 and my balance is also lifetime validity. Unfortunately I am unable to replicate that temporary validity part even after switching off my prepaid for couple of days. Will post screenshot if I am able to.
Good that means what you saw earlier was a glitch.

Hi,

I seem to have run into a similar problem though a little different. This one seems to be a tosser !

I have sufficient main balance of Rs. 516 in my Airtle prepaid SIM. I have been making calls from the SIM occasionally, say once or twice a week, although not everyday. I have not recharged any pack of 28 days or 84 days on this SIM.

I have been getting SMSes and floaters from Airtel that my outgoing calls will be barred from 26 October 2018 since Outgoing Validity is expiring. I thought I had enough balance and am using the SIM regularly for calls at normal rates whenever I do.

Can they do this ? Is it legal to terminate outgoing validity when the SIM has sufficient main balance and also calls are being made off and on ?

May I request our veteran member blr_p for advice ? Should I ignore the warnings or should I recharge with a pack ? I have another SIM on this dual phone which is my primary SIM and I use it regularly with combo packs of 28 days or 84 days. So recharging this second SIM on the dual phone with a pack is really unnecessary and not cost effective. What say you ?

@RajLeo

Which circle?

Check up whether you have a non 4G sim.
Additionally, see if you have an older plan like 999?
Also, (unlikely, but) could this be the start of move to VoLTE from 2G?

If you feel this is a threat to move to 28/84 days plans, please port out to Jio or other operator - this is high handedness from Airtel.

dp76w4yu8aanpu2-jpg.77094

Back to early/mid 2000s guys, you have a incoming validity now, Airtel is doing this quietly..

hopefully Trai notices and Put hefty fine on them again.

Attachments

• Dp76W4yU8AANPu2.jpg
    Dp76W4yU8AANPu2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,393
The was a Public notice in newspaper
https://m.imgur.com/a/JtzKHqd

Somebody just sue (whatever could be done legally) them for publishing this crucial info on a corner of page. No communication over SMS or e-mail about this.

Coming to this practice, What a "progress" with introducing yesteryear's validity "regime" by India's so called no.1 network. I tried *123#; though it still shows validity as Jan 01, 2037; I am skeptical about it getting updated soon.

I can accept barring outgoing but barring incoming on active sim shows pure greed by Airtel, What happened to life time validity ?

how could TRAI allow this to happen with out notice? it will be not too long before other operators follow to do the same.

I can accept barring outgoing but barring incoming on active sim shows pure greed by Airtel, What happened to life time validity ?

how could TRAI allow this to happen with out notice? it will be not too long before other operators follow to do the same.

Since now AVoID has become AV-I, you can betcha that VI will follow with the same....

Back