If you have Automatic Update turned on, ready or not, here it comes.Like it or not, ready or not, SP2 is landing on customers' machines. And the results will (mostly) not be pretty. Brace yourself for a lot of phone calls and a lot of incompatibilities. (The Channel Insider)
- Express Install (Recommended): High Priority Updates for Your Computer
- Custom Install: High Priority and Optional Updates for Your Computer
Are the same updates,which are:
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB890923)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
Most of the problems you'll be seeing if any will not be real incompatibility problems. They'll be problems with applications running headlong into XP SP2's Windows Firewall.
The short-term fix is just to turn the firewall off.
For more on this, read Microsofts Guide on "Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2" [RANK="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242"]here[/RANK].