Linksys WRT54G Problem

jayken

Disciple
Hey folks!
I'm having this problem with my linksys router for sometime now and i'm not able to solve it.
Problem:
I switch on my router after connecting it to the modem, the power led seems to be blinking all the time. Then after holding reset till the blinking of Internet LED and 1WAN LED stops, I went to the firmware upgrade page and upgraded with the latest firmware. Now the Power LED blinks for 5 seconds, glows for 3 seconds without blinking and again blinks for 5 seconds.
How many ever times i reset, no change in the behavior.
I am using Airtel BB.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.
Thanks in advance for your help! :eek:hyeah:

forgot to add in my prev post, now am not able to get into the main page

i.e 192.168.1.1

My configurations

ip : 192.168.1.10

subnet : 255.255.255.0

gateway and dns : 192.168.1.1

I changed the LAN settings LINK SPEED to 10 Half Mode

and switched off the firewall.

:-(, need to setup wireless internet badly guys!

Have you assigned a static IP to the PC??? Are you able to ping 192.168.1.1?? If you are, go over to ftp.linksys.com/pub/network and download the file called tftp.exe and then go over to www.linksys.com/download and download the latest firmware for the WRT54G v5 and try to upgrade it.

yeah man! I've assigned static ip, 192.168.1.10

the thing is that, it doesn't stand stable for the conx, the conx stays for 5 seconds and disconnects, then connects back again.

earlier the power led kept on blinking, now it stays stable for 3 seconds and back to blinking again. its periodic.

Power adapter and other things are fine.

I tried once doing that ftp, it was able to flash, but again the state is the same.

On XP, the network link goen on and off. it happens in sync with the router.

what could be the problem?

could it be a local lan ip conflict with modem? (try disonnecting the modem, and connecting the pc to the standalone router...then ping 192.168.1.1..if the connection stays stable, post back (in which case you'll need to use a diff. ip range for ur LAN)

superczar said:
could it be a local lan ip conflict with modem? (try disonnecting the modem, and connecting the pc to the standalone router...then ping 192.168.1.1..if the connection stays stable, post back (in which case you'll need to use a diff. ip range for ur LAN)

I'm kinda sure that this is the problem!!
Both ur modem (from Airtel) & router (Linksys) would be configured on 192.168.1.1..
I am a complete "noob" on these things but after experimenting a lot, I was able to sort out my issues..try changing the ip on router to 192.168.1.2

As for the blinking, maybe something to do with SES on Linksys..Anyway..thats secondary, first as superczar mentioned, try connecting ONLY the router to ur PC..
Will take it further from there..

Hmmm... If the power LED keeps blinking intermittently, it's unlikely that there's an IP conflict between the modem and the router. Possibly something wrong with the router itself. Since the problem persists even after a firmware upgrade, give it a good one minute long reset, and then reconfigure it.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Superczar,
I tried to do as per what you said. No change. I've attached the snapshot.
As usual the LAN conx went on and off intermittantly, when this happens, the power led stays stable for 5 seconds and blinks for 7 to 8 seconds. same behaviour buddy.

Edrill,
Tried resetting. no luck. :(

AMD4Life,
How do i change the ipaddres of the router.

One more thing guys, i've set the ipaddress, gateway and dns as i've mentioned above. Is there anything more i gotta do in the tcp/ip settings?

Attachments

• wrt_prb.JPG
    wrt_prb.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 244
uh-oh....this prolly means the router is busted...just to make sure, hold the reset switch (while powered for 30 seconds ..the router will go in management mode...if the ping stays stable after this , reflash the lates firmware ...)

also, just to be sure, can you post a scrshot of the command window after running the command : "ipconfig/all"

is it under warranty? replace if it is, else you may want to give dd-wrt (alternative firmware for the wrt54g) a last shot

superczar said:
uh-oh....this prolly means the router is busted...just to make sure, hold the reset switch (while powered for 30 seconds ..the router will go in management mode...if the ping stays stable after this , reflash the lates firmware ...)
also, just to be sure, can you post a scrshot of the command window after running the command : "ipconfig/all"

is it under warranty? replace if it is, else you may want to give dd-wrt (alternative firmware for the wrt54g) a last shot

Hi superczar/edrill/AMD4life,

I used the tftp app and somehow upgraded the firmware.
Now even thou power LED blinks, the conx is stable and i am able to ping to 192.168.1.1 the router.

the on/off conx is now stable and anytime i can ping.

btw, 192.168.1.1 the page isn't opening.

now tell me folks what else to be done?:huh:

Well, if you've upgraded the firmware and still have the problem of intermittent connections, the only option here would be to replace the unit. These things carry a three year warranty if I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure in your case they'll replace it, no questions asked. The v5 units are generally considered not too good, although the latest firmware does resolve a lot of issues. Chances are, you just got a lemon. Get it replaced instead of breaking your head over it! If they're willing to do it, exchange the WRT54G v5 for a WRT54GL. Better option. When Linksys routers work fine, they really do work well. But when they screw up, they tend to screw up badly!!!

hey edrill,

the problem is, my bro got it from the states.

it worked fine with dataone a few months ago.

Now with airtel it is screwing badly. don't know whats the reason.

BTW, now the cable conx (lan) to the router stays stable.

I am able to ping... but 192.168.1.1 page isn't opening.

any leads?

That would be a problem!! Let's see, you're able to ping the router fine now, but still can't open the setup page... Is your computer able to recieve an IP dynamically from the router, or do you have to set it to a static IP??? Does it even open up the Management Mode page or nothing at all???

Edrill said:
That would be a problem!! Let's see, you're able to ping the router fine now, but still can't open the setup page... Is your computer able to recieve an IP dynamically from the router, or do you have to set it to a static IP??? Does it even open up the Management Mode page or nothing at all???

Nope.
It says, Page not found! :-(
am downloading a us version code.zip file.
will update u soon on that buddy.

@AMD4Life,

No man, I think that router is busted. A friend of mine who was working on solving such router issues himself tried. Couldn't do anything.

So planning to take it to some shop soon. Lets see.

One more thing, The ip address of modem and router seems to be 192.168.1.1

Well I n' others can guide you how to change the ip of the router but before that its essential that we're able to open the Linksys' Setup Page & for that (if u wish to try one more time), you'll have to disconnect the modem & unplug related wires..then directly plug the CAT5 cable on the router to your LAN port & try accessing 192.168.1.1 (Also reset the router once more..)

If the Setup page loads, we can try..otherwise the unit is defective & time for a change I'm afraid..

Hi superczar/edrill/AMD4life,

I used the tftp app and somehow upgraded the firmware.
Now even thou power LED blinks, the conx is stable and i am able to ping to 192.168.1.1 the router.

the on/off conx is now stable and anytime i can ping.

btw, 192.168.1.1 the page isn't opening.

now tell me folks what else to be done?

sorry, didn't notice this update...if ur connection is stable and ping to 192.168.1.1 works fine, but the 192.168.1.1 webpage does not open then try this:
do a telnet into the router: login using admin:password or root:admin and see if you can do a telnet connect

Back