Budget 41-50k Linux Supported Laptop

swatkats

Skilled
Hello Folks, I am looking out for a laptop with the following Specs:

- i5 latest procy
- 8GB of RAM. Shall add more 8 GB if needed.
- *Screen resolution: 1080x1920
- Other specs are standard.

No gaming whatsoever. Will be using 90% of the times with Ubuntu or CentOS.. So Linux support is a must..
Friends suggested to go for Thinkpad laptops since they have good linux OS support, but Budget is strictly at 50k (max)

I checked a range of HP laptops, Which either have pathetic Linux support or Poor Specs.
[DOUBLEPOST=1496855766][/DOUBLEPOST]Need feedback about Lenovo after sales now a days!!

Last edited:
You can look at Dell as well, as they come with Ubuntu OOTB.

However, they will not tick the latest processor options, nor the FHD, at least not within your budget.

But if you can settle for one gen older, they will.

I've checked a generation old dell series but cannot compromise on screen resolution. Already fedup with HD ready res. Been ages.

I'm considering lenovo ideapad series

I think the only things you need to worry about are the wifi and bluetooth modules. Almost everything else is pretty standard and should be supported by most distributions. My Lenovo g50-45 has been running Debian for about a year, and it hasn't given me any problems at all.

Saw an Asus Core M 7th gen laptop on FK for 51k. Specs mention Linux support. Max ram was 8GB i think.
On Amazon I saw core i5 7th gen Acer and Asus full hd laptops with max 16GB ram support around 42-43k. Some of them were ddr4 or ddr3 and came with 4GB soldered ram.

I think the only things you need to worry about are the wifi and bluetooth modules. Almost everything else is pretty standard and should be supported by most distributions. My Lenovo g50-45 has been running Debian for about a year, and it hasn't given me any problems at all.
The reason why I'm worried about linux support is recently zeroed in on a Hp laptop. After checking in detail about the model found https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-Linux-support-for-HP-15-AY503TX/td-p/5919334

From then I'm concerned about linux OSes support.

I had an issue with dual graphics initially. Amd&amd. This was when Linux was still on kernel 3.12 or 3.13. Since 3.16, I've had no issues. I was experimenting with Ubuntu and fedora back then and had to turn off the discrete graphics to get the system to work. But since Debian 8- kernel 3.16,I've had no problems with graphics. For WiFi i had to enable non free sources and download the driver via lan.
I don't think it matters what distribution you use as the kernel is what makes the hardware work.
The only issue i have at the moment is that I want to update the bios as lenovo hasn't enabled virtualisation in my laptop till now, and the bios update tool works only in Windows.

An issue you may face is with uefi secure boot. Some bioses may not allow you to run another os.
But that'll be rare.
Anyway, the person in that link was getting to install ubuntu 14.04, with kernel 3.13. That's an old kernel with new hardware and it was more of a rant than an attempt to find a solution. He should have posted on the Ubuntu forums instead. That said, there's usually a lag with hardware support in Linux, so, IMO, it'z better to buy previous generation hardware.

I was reading the Amazon reviews and a guy was running ubuntu 16 on it and complained about the WiFi and not the graphics. Try and avoid realtek WiFi cards, but in the case of this laptop I think the problem can be solved by manually choosing the antenna. Fyi, my laptop has a realtek card too, hence the need to install the driver post installation.

@swatkats, you can check AMD's site for supported linux drivers. Most older gfx cards are supported by fglrx/ fglrx-updates if using older version on Ubuntu or Linux Mint like 17.2/3 or the newer cards have better support now from AMD.

Seems like a decent choice for linux since Dell.co.in also sells it with ubuntu, hopefully the wireless is a supported chipset like intel or qualcom atheros.

If you have further budget, I would suggest you get an SSD to replace the HDD and put the HDD into an external USB enclosure and use it as external storage :) It will make a world of difference to your experience in terms of OS smoothness/performance.

So - which linux distro and desktop UI do you plan to install on it???

Which flavour of Ubuntu are you going to use? The main one? I hope you are aware that Ubuntu recently dropped their UI (unity desktop) and are going to go with default GNOME desktop in the future releases starting with 17.10 and the 18.04 LTS... the current 16.04 of course is the same :)

Back