Budget 0-20k Liquid cooling advise please?

Using the NZXT 510 case.

Specs say:

Radiator SupportFront: 2x 140 or 2x 120mm with Pull
Rear: 1x 120mm

So, looking at this, what liquid cooler would you guys advise? Is 280 reallly far better than 240?

Also, I have the Hyper 212 air cooler installed currently. Will I be able to install this without taking the MB out of the case? Total noob here.

Using the NZXT 510 case.

Specs say:

So, looking at this, what liquid cooler would you guys advise? Is 280 reallly far better than 240?

Also, I have the Hyper 212 air cooler installed currently. Will I be able to install this without taking the MB out of the case? Total noob here.
What is your config? Please specify so that we can suggest.

i5 9600K overclocked
Gigabyte Aorus z390 Elite MB
16GB 3200 RAM
Antec 750w gold PSU
Gigabyte 2070 Super OC GPU

Also, this case has a flat metal front face. Air intake is only from the side. Will that be a hinderance to place the radiator in the front?

You should be fine with the hyper 212+. Don't think a 9600k requires liquid cooling.

Well, when I overclock, I can get to 4.8GHz with temps remaining below 80 on Prime95. When I try to get to 5GHz, temps go above 95. Was hoping that liquid cooling would help?

It could also be poorly applied thermal paste. The guy who built it kind of spread it around. I see now that one should just pace a central bead and let it spread on its own. Do you think it's worth redoing the thermal paste and seeing?

Using the NZXT 510 case.

Specs say:

If your temps are fine, then don't go for a liquid cooler. Talking about size 280 will be quiet then 240. Smaller the fan size, faster they blow and spin.

Thanks guys. If I change the thermal paste, would this be a good one to use?

Go with this one.

Well, when I overclock, I can get to 4.8GHz with temps remaining below 80 on Prime95. When I try to get to 5GHz, temps go above 95. Was hoping that liquid cooling would help?

It could also be poorly applied thermal paste. The guy who built it kind of spread it around. I see now that one should just pace a central bead and let it spread on its own. Do you think it's worth redoing the thermal paste and seeing?

Stick around 4.8 - should be more than enough for flight simulators as most of them are built on ancient engines. 80 degrees is pretty decent to be honest.

As for thermal paste, there's only one I trust for consistency from batch to batch - Arctic Silver 5. Its conductive so you have to be a bit careful to apply it. Noctua paste is okay too but not as good.

Stick around 4.8 - should be more than enough for flight simulators as most of them are built on ancient engines. 80 degrees is pretty decent to be honest.

Thanks. Even without overclocking the flight sim runs great on a 2K monitor. With all settings on high, I get 120 to 170 fps, depending on the terrain.

The overclocking is for VR. Runs well by and large but have the occasional drop in frame rate. I guess, I'll redo the thermal paste first and see.

Also, ordering Noctua fans, which might also help?

Thanks. Even without overclocking the flight sim runs great on a 2K monitor. With all settings on high, I get 120 to 170 fps, depending on the terrain.

The overclocking is for VR. Runs well by and large but have the occasional drop in frame rate. I guess, I'll redo the thermal paste first and see.

Also, ordering Noctua fans, which might also help?
Just test it with the thermal paste, if not working then buy the liquid cooler. Don't spend money on fans, that's my take.

Lowered the voltage slightly, and still stable at 4.8GHz. Max temp n Prime 95 is 76C, and I get the same max while gaming. Is that acceptable, if I leave it at this setting and not plan to overclock more? Is that temp kind of OK for long periods of time?

Lowered the voltage slightly, and still stable at 4.8GHz. Max temp n Prime 95 is 76C, and I get the same max while gaming. Is that acceptable, if I leave it at this setting and not plan to overclock more? Is that temp kind of OK for long periods of time?
Safe temps is I think 66 degrees. This is what I am getting on Wraith Prism cooler while running Prime95

Safe temps is I think 66 degrees. This is what I am getting on Wraith Prism cooler while running Prime95

So, I'll do the thermal paste thingie and see. Thanks.
Post automatically merged:

As for thermal paste, there's only one I trust for consistency from batch to batch - Arctic Silver 5. Its conductive so you have to be a bit careful to apply it. Noctua paste is okay too but not as good.

This says that it is non conductive?

Screenshot_96.jpg

This is a good 120mm fan
I use that one for my mini ITX rig and it screams like a banshee at startup. Speedfan tuning is essential for this one as its a 3000 rpm fan.

I used the same fan model but in 2000 rpm spec for my NH-U12S and it was damn good on my Ryzen 1700.

@deepakvrao i have a NZXT H500 which is more or less the same case and I am air cooling a 12 core 3900X at stock with a Noctua NH-U14S cooler.

If you are looking to squeeze the max overclock go for the Corsair H115 models based on your RGB preference.

P.S. Avoid Deepcool Castle as quite a few of them leaked as per GamersNexus.

And as for the thermal paste you will see at most a 1-2 degree difference between the good pastes like NT-H1,Cryonaut, Arctic etc. provided they are applied correctly i.e. the pea method for Intel.

I am a bit icky about AIOs after I saw the carnage caused by leakage in a friends' PC so these are the air cooling options for you.

Entry Level OC(Better than Hyper 212)

Mid Level OC

Tier 1 Air Cooling (Puts quite some strain on the motherboard though as these twin tower coolers are heavy but will go toe to toe with the H115i at a lower noise level)

I use that one for my mini ITX rig and it screams like a banshee at startup. Speedfan tuning is essential for this one as its a 3000 rpm fan.

I used the same fan model but in 2000 rpm spec for my NH-U12S and it was damn good on my Ryzen 1700.

@deepakvrao i have a NZXT H500 which is more or less the same case and I am air cooling a 12 core 3900X at stock with a Noctua NH-U14S cooler.

If you are looking to squeeze the max overclock go for the Corsair H115 models based on your RGB preference.

P.S. Avoid Deepcool Castle as quite a few of them leaked as per GamersNexus.

And as for the thermal paste you will see at most a 1-2 degree difference between the good pastes like NT-H1,Cryonaut, Arctic etc. provided they are applied correctly i.e. the pea method for Intel.

I am a bit icky about AIOs after I saw the carnage caused by leakage in a friends' PC so these are the air cooling options for you.

Entry Level OC(Better than Hyper 212)

Mid Level OC

Tier 1 Air Cooling (Puts quite some strain on the motherboard though as these twin tower coolers are heavy but will go toe to toe with the H115i at a lower noise level)

Wow, thanks. Will go thru that in detail. I still think that the thermal paste was not applied correctly. I saw him applying with a business card and it seemed not well spread. There must be air gaps.

Just ordered the thermal grizzly paste. Will apply that for a start and see. Next step might be to swap the cooler.

Back