Live IP Camera monitoring using RPi

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
My requirement is to live monitor (video+audio) my house from internet.
Hardware I have - a Raspberry Pi 2, a WiFi IP Camera.
Broadband connection - Airtel vFiber 100mbps (Router Huawei hg8145v)

Can this be done? If so do I need any more hardware ?

If yes, how can I stream it securely over the internet?

Camera I have is this -> link.
This comes with a mobile app to monitor via internet. But I am not sure if this is secure enough. Can somebody else peep into the streaming ? How this streaming works - without static ip/dns setup/port forwarding ?
Is it may be streaming via some server somewhere ? (Like Youtube/FB live sharing ?)

Any info/pointer would be much appreciated.
TIA.

Why dont you just get one of the wifi cameras from Mi which will manage everything? Comes to around 2.5K ish plus has additional benefits.[DOUBLEPOST=1543016611][/DOUBLEPOST]As for your point, yes, it can be done

You will need a public IP (Not static, just an IP which is accessible from the internet) for starters and run the software (Googling suggests using MotionEyeOS for the CCTV work)

Where the earlier solution (Mi camera) works is that if you are behind a double NAT then you cannot access the recordings over Internet easily without adding an intermediary.

Last edited:
Yes, Motioneyeos would be a best out of box solution to stream with HTTP. But with your setup, it could be a little complicated... in most case, the RPI cam is used along with Pi, which could be easily interfaced & streamed.

Why dont you just get one of the wifi cameras from Mi which will manage everything? Comes to around 2.5K ish plus has additional benefits.
The camera I own, also have the live monitoring over the internet. But I am worried about security part of it - as I don't know how that streaming works. Can someone peek into stream?
(I intended by buy the Mi Home 360 cam, but at the time I needed urgently , Mi cam was oos, got the next best seller)

As for your point, yes, it can be done

You will need a public IP (Not static, just an IP which is accessible from the internet) for starters and run the software (Googling suggests using MotionEyeOS for the CCTV work)

Where the earlier solution (Mi camera) works is that if you are behind a double NAT then you cannot access the recordings over Internet easily without adding an intermediary.

"if you are behind a double NAT" - this means ?
I am using Airtel vfiber. This is the WAN info I can see in my router. Will it work?

Screenshot from 2018-11-24 13-35-33.png

The camera I own, also have the live monitoring over the internet. But I am worried about security part of it - as I don't know how that streaming works. Can someone peek into stream?
(I intended by buy the Mi Home 360 cam, but at the time I needed urgently , Mi cam was oos, got the next best seller)

"if you are behind a double NAT" - this means ?
I am using Airtel vfiber. This is the WAN info I can see in my router. Will it work?

View attachment 77590

Should work, mostly. Lets see.

"But I am worried about security part of it - as I don't know how that streaming works. Can someone peek into stream?"
Yes . If some one wants to then they can.

I would really recommend against Mi IP cameras and routers, if my memory serves me right i remember reading lot of reports showing these devices connecting to remote chinese boxes.

I would really recommend against Mi IP cameras and routers, if my memory serves me right i remember reading lot of reports showing these devices connecting to remote chinese boxes.

Yeah I suppose so. To enable live streaming over internet, they need to have some server somewhere (if not doing port forwarding thingy).

Yeah I suppose so. To enable live streaming over internet, they need to have some server somewhere (if not doing port forwarding thingy).

Correct me if i am wrong, it could be peer to peer right? apart from initial handshake there is no reason i see why the video feeds should go to a 3rd party server. Neither for their router.

Correct me if i am wrong, it could be peer to peer right? apart from initial handshake there is no reason i see why the video feeds should go to a 3rd party server. Neither for their router.

If is the best word to describe this. Since the connections go via a third party site, you cannot be sure what is being stored etc. And there is no port forwarding, it punches a hole in NAT so it even works in double or multiNAT setups.

Back