Looking at alarm clocks

blr_p

Skilled
Must be reliable and easily legible. A clock is precision instrument that measures time. If it cant keep time or drifts then its useless.

Hit amazon looking for analog casios as that's what i've used before and worked great. For some reason they don't sell casio analog clocks on amazon. But they are certainly available in India. Turns out Casio has an exclusive india online shop. Casio wants you to buy from their online shop.

Something like this fits the bill.
Accuracy: ±20 seconds per month

Didn't see anything like that for orpat alarm clocks.

kept searching for more options and came upon seiko. Liked this one.

No mention of accuracy for seiko but the price is five times higher.

What surprised me is the import price is a fifth of the selling price. Did not realise there was such a high markup for imported clocks. The UK site linked above states a similar mrp. Seiko's don't come for cheap.

Are they worth it ?

Must be reliable and easily legible. A clock is precision instrument that measures time. If it cant keep time or drifts then its useless.

Hit amazon looking for analog casios as that's what i've used before and worked great. For some reason they don't sell casio analog clocks on amazon. But they are certainly available in India. Turns out Casio has an exclusive india online shop. Casio wants you to buy from their online shop.

Something like this fits the bill.

Didn't see anything like that for orpat alarm clocks.

kept searching for more options and came upon seiko. Liked this one.

No mention of accuracy for seiko but the price is five times higher.

What surprised me is the import price is a fifth of the selling price. Did not realise there was such a high markup for imported clocks. The UK site linked above states a similar mrp. Seiko's don't come for cheap.

Are they worth it ?

Maybe I just got a lemon, but after about three months, the second hand on my Seiko analog clock is stuck rendering it useless.

I've now got to lug the thing into a service center.

Have you considered digital alarm clocks ,time can be seen at night time.
http://www.sony.co.in/productcategory/pa-rad-clock-radio
One thing i forgot to mention is it has to be portable. So clock radios like this were out. went with the silver seiko one i linked above. it's nice.

The thing about analog clock is they may slowdown with low battery voltage.
Yeah, this is where the digital wins as it uses ac to keep time.

Oh well, seiko manual says good for 10 months with an alkaline battery.

So long as it does not lose too much within that time i suppose it will be ok.[DOUBLEPOST=1453562676][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe I just got a lemon, but after about three months, the second hand on my Seiko analog clock is stuck rendering it useless.

I've now got to lug the thing into a service center.
Which model is it ?

Oh i'm in the market for a wall clock too. For now there is a workaround in place. Another wall clock. A no name clock that was gifted. Can hear it tick out seconds when it gets quiet. Since its in the living room it isn't a big deal.

How do you find the green lettering for legibility. leaning more towards something more contrasty

http://www.amazon.in/Seiko-Plastic-Wall-Clock-White/dp/B011RIZD28
http://www.amazon.in/Seiko-Wall-Clock-Silver-QXA352SN/dp/B0011SADC0

Wanted black lettering on white with the alarm clock as well but all the casio alarm clocks have gone with the green lettering. if its in the bedroom i can see the need for glowing in the dark.

Last edited:
Oh i'm in the market for a wall clock too. For now there is a workaround in place. Another wall clock. A no name clock that was gifted. Can hear it tick out seconds when it gets quiet. Since its in the living room it isn't a big deal.

You should get a sweep hand one. I hate the clock ticking, unless it is mechanical. I got a really good one (ORIENT) when I went to Malaysia. Will try to post a pic here soon.

if you have the budget for Seiko, then go ahead - they are beautiful : i really loved their wooden clocks. but i settled on Woodcraft brand bought from a local store [available on flipkart too]. has a sweep action seconds hand , dome glass, and those letters look like lines from a distance [which i like ;) ].
IMG_20151008_2120291.jpg

Back