Audio looking for a good set of iems and headphones for electronic music

So my h200 plus cable r sold I'm also looking for a good set of iems and headphones for electronic , anything that I should check out that's sort of neutral not too dark or warm sounding , all suggestions welcome , no budget limits hahaha but nothing out of this world expensive too

I don't listen to any electronic music but maybe some thing like the HD600 / Ultrasone 900 Pro / TH600 would work well.The TH600 is extra special when compared to the other two, well worth looking at at even at its current retail price of 800 USD.

IEMs the ER4P / FX700 / RE400 or 600 / EPH 100

+1 on the Ultrasone - PRO900. Or even the 2900.

ATH-CK100PRO? Bass has impact with ultra fast decay. And you could become a detail junkie with all that fast EDM :) How treble sensitive are you.

Dunu DN-1000??
Isn't the DN1K warm? I've read it tackles electronic music well but with a warm undertone.

Isn't the DN1K warm? I've read it tackles electronic music well but with a warm undertone.

Yeah, from what I read it's warm but not too warm/ dark. But apparently it's very well balanced and versatile without any aspect of its overall signature over or under emphasized. The main reason why I suggested it was because it has bass which is well textured with good quantity, enough to satisfy what electronica demands. Besides it too is a hybrid, like the h200 which he's upgrading from.

Why not go all the way for Tralucent 1 Plus 2? :)

From Tomscy's review on Cymbacavum

The bass response of the Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 is by far its greatest technical strength. I’ve never heard anything that delivers the amount of visceral power that it brings and yet retains the same control and resolution as well. I’ve heard some dynamic drivers with excellent bass resolution, like the Sony MDR-EX1000 and the Sennheiser IE800, but there is absolutely nothing I’ve heard that compares to the sub-bass performance of the 1Plus2. Nothing. It is just incredibly powerful, yet so incredibly controlled at the same time — it will leave you grinning from ear to ear like a certain famous British Shorthair. It makes the $900 Ultrasone IQ (gosh, I hate that earphone…) sound like a $20 earbud. No joke. Scout’s honor.

The bass is so good, it’s almost distracting. I keep noticing how good the quality of the bass is. It doesn’t help that the response is a decent level boosted over flat at the eardrum. In all honesty, I don’t know what they did to make the bass response so good, but I do think they successfully introduced a natural sub-bass group delay without bumping up the bass response too much, i.e. it overcomes the missing 6 dB. Now, obviously, I have no measurements to back these statements up, but I’m pretty sure that if we applied an Energy-Time Curve (ETC) analysis to the 1Plus2, we’d see that it’s different from that of a typical IEM (which normally range from 5-15 ms under 50 Hz, as opposed to 5-35 ms in an anechoic chamber). The sheer quantity of it is just a tad too much, though. I sort of wished it only had the group delay without the bump in response. If I had to EQ, I’d take the bass shelf down 2 dB for the optimal bass response for my tastes. Not for easy listening, at least. I guess Tralucent wanted to give listeners the “punch” they’re looking for.

I only listen to electronic and i've been using the ATH-M50 and Brainwavz M2 combo for 3 years now, you don't need to get anything beyond these.
Also recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 if it's still available here.

I only listen to electronic and i've been using the ATH-M50 and Brainwavz M2 combo for 3 years now, you don't need to get anything beyond these.
Also recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 if it's still available here.
by electronic do u guys mean trance /EDM ??

itsvel06 - ive considered the dunu for sure, supposed to be a step above the h200 aswell. but the warm that ken talks about i also read and is the only thing thats kept me away. hell ive had the 8.a heir's and sold em cuz i didnt like the warm tone they presented with edm, just doesnt sound right. like its hard to describe but whatever song u thing uve heard.. u will hear a "8.a version" of that song. lol and ull be like damn.. i dont remember the song like that.
kenpachiroks - im super treble sensetive bro. not too bright. so cant do the audio techs, im lookin into the im70, im03/04 though. new stuff does not supposed to be peaky treble like the 1000s and the ultrasones are discoussed below

Ritvik - ive had the ultrasone 780 in the past, thing with ultrasone's is that they do have a sort of v shaped sound sig. maybe not the 900/ 2900 (ive not heard them), although its alot of fun and u enjoy it for a while, on some tracks that treble can be deafnning. im really considering either the th600, or sell a kidney for the 900.

esanthosh - the 1plus2 would be a dream, but after the 8.a ive learnt that u should never go on reviews. a few close friends who also sold their 8.a swear by the tralucents and gavin is a fantastic person just to talk with even if ur not interested in the 1plus2. maybe if i ever get a chance to demo them .. i wouldnt mind dropping that kind of cash on them.. the uber cable itself is more then 1k. which takes them on another level :)

psyph3r - i have had the m50 aswell with the c&cbh amp combo and yes amped. they r really good. but i think hd25i-II is a step up for sure. im considering them too incase i go mental spending on iems.

v.Na5h - thats exactly what i mean. haha armin and the gang.

thanks alot everyone for ur inputs. considering the th600 / hd 25i II / hd8 sennheisers / mad dogs 3.2 (but have doubts about them) too many mixed reviews..
still undecided for iems. :S

Last edited:
psyph3r - i have had the m50 aswell with the c&cbh amp combo and yes amped. they r really good. but i think hd25i-II is a step up for sure. im considering them too incase i go mental spending on iems.S

They are good but they are supra aural and preferred for portability. You should also look at the V-Moda M80 if it's available around here.

considering the th600 / hd 25i II / hd8 sennheisers / mad dogs 3.2 (but have doubts about them) too many mixed reviews..
still undecided for iems. :S

I can atleast help you rule out the Mad Dogs 3.2. Bought them and sold them within a week! Nothing special at all. You should consider the Alpha Dogs instead, but myself- I'm a little skeptical now...

If you hadn't explicitly stated "sort of neutral not too dark or warm sounding ", I would have recommended the Aurisonics ASG2, which I'm myself thinking of getting. Plus, they aren't insanely expensive, like the 1plus2 and AKG 3003, and still best them in certain areas!

As for the TH-600, very tempting and an awesome choice indeed. Only concern: you might lust after the TH-900, soon after listening them! ;)

I personally found the Beyerdynamic DT1350 to be better than the HD25-1 II. The bass is tighter, mids are cleaner and resolution is better on the DT1350, when compared to the HD25-1 II. However, YMMV...

No clue about the Sennheiser HD8. In fact, didn't even know they existed, till now!! haha

itsvel06 - ive considered the dunu for sure, supposed to be a step above the h200 aswell. but the warm that ken talks about i also read and is the only thing thats kept me away. hell ive had the 8.a heir's and sold em cuz i didnt like the warm tone they presented with edm, just doesnt sound right. like its hard to describe but whatever song u thing uve heard.. u will hear a "8.a version" of that song. lol and ull be like damn.. i dont remember the song like that.

If I may ask what about the 8a bothered you the most? Was it its thick and rich presentation or was it the warm tone? I have this feeling that it might be more of the former than the latter.

Because the Dunu DN-1000 while undoubtedly having a warm tone doesn't have the thick or rich presentation of the heir 8a which is responsible for coloration. Dunu DN-1000 from what I read is quite natural and won't give out its 'own version' of the song :) It also has a slight v-shape which will work well with your preferred genre. I really don't know why I'm pushing this much for the dunu but I would still ask you to reconsider it :)

PS - Joker has posted a review a couple of days back you might want to read it. http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/dunu-dn-1000/

i think my wife saw this thread and ended up surprising me with a early valentine's day gift hahaha, this was really a shock cuz i had no idea she was upto something hahaha
so now the th600 will haveto wait until i demo them but we still haveto figure the iems out!! keep those suggestions coming in.
thanks psyph3r, Arjan, itsvel06 and the rest of the memebers.
http://www.techenclave.com/community/members/psyph3r.12354/
itsvel06 -
about the 8.a there were alot of issues. ill pm you sometime about them, its not just edm, or the thick warm tone, its way too picky about sources, u will hear treble spikes and bad synergy in 7/10 daps.. even low impedence output ones. only thing it works well with is a dx100/ studio v 3rd anv edition. everything else is just all over the place. anyway more on it later. ill def read up more on the dunu. a friend who recomended the h200 has told me to get them eyes closed haha and i respect his opinion. so lets see. still looking at options and weighing them.
Arjan -
thanks for clearing out the doubt on the mad dogs. almost pulled a trigger on a pair earlier. ill keep away from them, maybe will get a dt1350 later on and see which one i prefer, i had heard bennysachdev's hd25i II and always wanted them. i think they r awesome for electronic music. and im glad i finally got a pair.
psyph3r - considered the m80s aswell but i really dont dig the look. and the price for getting them imported is a pain. and now no point since i got gifted a pair. lol more money left for upgrades hahaha

now will let the pics do the talking :)

collage_20140211165219304_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_20140211_233520_Snapseed.jpg

Back