Budget 41-50k Looking for a lightweight Windows laptop

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?
  • Office apps (Word, Powerpoint and Excel) mostly. Also pdf editing. And web surfing/streaming video occasionally
What size and weight considerations do you have?
  • A 13.3" is preferable. Definitely nothing beyond 14".
  • Light weight (less than 1.5 kg preferable)
Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?
  • No specific preference. Lenovo Thinkpad has been serving me well for quite some time, so I may be biased toward it. But open to any major brands.
Any other considerations?
  • Matte and non-touchscreen
  • Back lit keyboard
  • Adequate ports
  • An i5 (8th gen or later)
Also, is it possible to get a Ryzen 4000 series laptop in this price range? Are they available in India? My current laptop has started giving me minor problems very frequently and might die very soon. Will try to get hold of a new laptop as soon as the lockdown ends. Please suggest.

I don't think the 4000 series APU equipped lineup has been released here.

Intel's incentive dollars at play here.

I would go with the brands as follows-

Dell>Lenovo>Asus>hp>Acer

Try selecting a few that matches your preferences as the 1.5 Kg limit within 50k was a bit tricky for me.

Then we can separate the wheat from the chaff to arrive at something that works for you.

I don't think the 4000 series APU equipped lineup has been released here.
Unfortunate.
Try selecting a few that matches your preferences as the 1.5 Kg limit within 50k was a bit tricky for me.
That's the problem. I think if I relax the weight restriction, I will have more options. Right?

With Dell, I am not keen on their Inspiron series. Had one earlier, and the build quality left a lot to be desired. The Thinkpad from Lenovo has an amazing build quality. Wondering if I'll get something like that in my budget.

A ThinkPad will keep on chugging when every other laptop bites the dust but that robustness comes at a price.

I used to put my office Thinkpad in the check-in luggage sometimes and never had any trouble. Never dared do that with the Dell Latitude I got later and I hated it.

Theres this one at 54k but it has a Zen+ based 3000 series Ryzen APU which is a tad behind Intel i5 CPUs in general in both performance and battery life with low CPU usage.

Keep in mind that the screen and audio quality will be behind multimedia laptops by quite a margin

@Marcus Fenix Thanks for that link. Wonder how much of real world difference that AMD will show when compared to i5.
On second thoughts, I think light laptop and sturdy build quality are mutually exclusive. May be I should compromise on either one of these.

checks all your boxes I think
Thank you. How is the Vostro's build quality? The least I expect is that the screen/lid should not wobble or vibrate when under the fan. I've seen this problem with so many laptops, including dell inspirons.

BTW, any opinions about the Asus Zenbook series? They also seem to be within budget with most of my requirements ticked.

Dell's quality has gone down a bit from earlier. Ive never had the lid wobble thing. I would choose Dell over Asus for reliability and the offers in purchasing one. You get 5k off for windows home, office home is free and 3 year support for 500 Rs.

Dell's quality has gone down a bit from earlier. Ive never had the lid wobble thing. I would choose Dell over Asus for reliability and the offers in purchasing one. You get 5k off for windows home, office home is free and 3 year support for 500 Rs.

+1 to that. Asus maintains pretty good build quality in higher end ultrabooks but the mid-range models cut corners quite a bit.

But then again meeting all these criteria within 50k with a rock-solid build quality might be tricky.

@logistopath if you want a long-lasting sturdy lappy you can go for the ThinkPad but you will need to compromise on your media consumption experience as well as some battery life. But for a home bound personal laptop battery life wouldn't be a huge concern for me.

As for the Vostros their build quality is a bit lacking as they are supposed to be the cheaper alternative to business grade machines like the Latitude series for small/medium enterprises.

Just looking for some opinion for this model - Any Good? Please share your thoughts

Just looking for some opinion for this model - Any Good? Please share your thoughts

reviews seem decent but 1 review says the exhaust is at back and on opening the screen, it kinda blocks it. LOL for design

What about Gram, it looks filmsy, but after traveling with it extensively, using as drawing board, coffee table and other such idiotic activities like putting in between 2 heavy workboots in a tight backpack etc. it's still working like a champion, except few scratches on the lid.
However it's less than 6 months old.
There are plenty of ports and the best thing is the weight, older MacBook airs feels too heavy after using this.
You won't even feel it in your backpack.
But that's the only Windows laptop I've used personally in a long time. So far it's hanging well to the big boys ( ThinkPad T and Xs ) effortlessly.
I travel extensively and not a very cautious person regarding gadgets ( except those damn crazy expensive canon lenses), it is serving me well.
Bought it from a shop in Kolkata, forgot the damage though, around 800 Euros possibly or thereabout.

The LG Gram is a tier one ultrabook competing with the likes of Dell XPS13 and Lenovo X1 Carbon.

I checked the prices and they are north of 80-90k on LG India website.

What!! I'm sure I've seen it around 64k in Amazon India and bought it from a LG store ( somewhere near but not Chandni Chawk in Kolkata ) for slightly less.
Had no idea that the price has gone up so much!!

Last edited:
What!! I'm sure I've seen it around 64k in Amazon India and bought it from a store ( somewhere in Chandni Chawk in Kolkata ) for slightly less.
Had no idea that the price has gone up so much!!

Bought the it base variant locally (i5, 8GB, 256 GB, 14 inch non touch version) for around 65k, locally from some LG showroom ( not in the Chandni Chawk area)
Since paid in cash, got some discount. The shop keeper was kind enough and instructed another person to open it up and add another 512GB SSD and and 8GB stick for around 7-8k, I picked it up the next day.
Couldn't find any Latitude locally and needed a laptop before leaving Kolkata on 25th.
Can't I do system reset from Windows 10 itself? I believe it's there since windows 8 but I'm not sure.
As far as I can remember Jerry posted another 2 videos in 2018/19 with the newer models.
The first one he stood up on it, and the second one drop it from a flight of stairs.
Sure, latitude would have been a better choice but couldn't really wait.
So far, loving the light weight, its really strange, I'm used to light laptops (both 13 inch and discontinued 11 inch air my wife had) but this is absurdly light and the battery life so far is very very good.
Thanks a lot everyone for your help and suggestions, really appreciate it.
Post automatically merged:

Oh! Forgot the most important thing..the warranty issue...LG India couldn't give me any definite answer at first, but later confirmed they will honour the 3 year on-site warranty in Prague if bought from their store in India, seems little sketchy though as they won't do it if bought online!! I've never heard anything like this before.

I had to check the prices on LG India website as all e-tailers are not showing the price anymore due to the product being unavailable with the lockdown.
So all in around 70k for a i5, 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD.

If it were upto me I would go for this one. My Dell XPS13 9350 is around 3.5 years old now.

It is a very good laptop, didn't even know LG makes laptops anymore.
Another new for me was a Huawei laptop (something very similar sounding to MacBook Pro, don't remember the name, you guys probably know about it anyway) saw one @ Spain.
Beautiful screen, looked really good ( otherwise I wouldn't even noticed it) it belonged to a resident.
But that beautiful machine couldn't take a drop from about 4 feet... shattered completely. That's the problem with these newer companies making laptops, they copy everything from Apple.
Yes, I bought it from a LG store ( near Central metro station, forgot the name of the place)

Last edited:
LG Gram was high on my list, except for the preposterous price here. I was hoping to source it through a friend in US (plenty of option there with lots of customization options), however, Covid happened.

Is it possible to call your local lg showroom / dealer for a quote? 90k is absurd. In Prague, some large stores are giving huge discounts on orders placed over phones. Bought a large TV ( Samsung) very cheap.

^^ Will try to find out. I doubt it though. Being a tier II city, none of the electronic shops here sell stuff on par with or less than online prices. It is always more.

Might be worth checking out. Not sure about MSI after sales service though.

Back