Looking for a Tomato compatible router

Checksum

Skilled
I currently have an almost 4 year old Buffalo WHR-G125 router running Tomato. I live in a two storey house, and until now, we were at the top floor. The router by itself doesn't have a very good range, but it wasn't bad either. Now I will be moving to the ground floor, and hence need to have a good WiFi range. I am thinking about setting up my network like so:

Network.jpg

I am really out of touch with the tech world these days, so not sure about my options. I'm looking for

1) Tomato compatibility - No compromises here!
2) Preferably dual band
3) Gigabit ethernet
4) No strict budget, but cheaper the better

If there is a better way to link up my house, would love to hear that as well!

Having used the E3000, E3200 and E4200 v1 with TomatoUSB, I can suggest any one of those! The E3000 is EOL, so you may be able to find one cheap if someone still has it in stock. With the E4200, stick to the v1 unit since the v2 is a Marvel chipset based router, so no third-party firmware at all. The newer EA4500 is essentially the E4200 v2, so avoid that too. If I'm not mistaken, the v2 units have v2 printed on the box somewhere. The E3200 unfortunately has no dual band support with Tomato yet. They're having issues with the drivers. I think DD-WRT has dual band support with the E3200, but I can't be sure. None of my devices run DD-WRT anymore since the stability isn't as good as Tomato.

@Edrill, thanks for your response! Unfortunately, finding those specific routers is going to be hard, especially since the v1s are pretty old by now. And I will mostly order through flipkart, and will not have the luxury of verifying the version.

Are these my only choices? If I don't find anything else, I will have to get an RT-N56U. It is compatible with Tomato right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the N56U is another great choice. As is the N66U! Pricey, but very feature-rich. Definitely something that'll last a while.

i was using RT-N16 with 3G USB Modem, everything is good except wifi range:( I was not getting good range and wireless speed used to reduce to 5Mbps after some time... This is with all the firmwares(DDWRT, tomato and oleg).

Why not get a repeater and use it ?
I did think about it initially, but I need the main router to have Gigabit ethernet. Besides, my existing router is pretty old and I need a reason to upgrade :)
@smnrock that is sad! If it doesn't have decent range, its ruled out.

Still looking for alternatives. The Netgear WNDR3700 seems to be good as well, and even the default firmware has gotten good reviews.

A quick update. I finally got the ASUS RT-N66U. Expensive at 13k, but is a great router! I'm currently running the default ASUS firmware, but will switch to Tomato in a few days time. I want to benchmark the performance of both and then decide which firmware I should stick to.

The stock firmware does have its problems, but ASUS has been pushing out updates frequently. There are issues with Download Master and the Media server (Minidlna) which they should look into. Also the router seems to love to reboot. I'm hoping that in a couple of months time, the firmware will be mature and stable.

@Checksum No doubt RT-N66 is top of the line router with developer supports. but it is currently out of my budgate. I might have to settle for RT-N16

Back