Budget 10-15K Looking for a touch screen phone with my special requirements - please help

casper^

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 10K. Can add 3-5K if need be.

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: No preference but richer colors would be great.

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: I don't like cheap brands like Micromax, Karbonn, iBall, Intex etc.

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Wanted a Keypad only phone because I like using keypads more than a touchscreen, but most smartphones today are touchscreen phones, so I'll go with a touch screen.

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Not very important, but a 3 to 5MP camera should be enough. But a flash IS required because that can act as a TORCH too and that's what I need.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: I didn't like Android on the Coby Kyros tablet (though I'm very good at Linux), so want to try Windows Phone this time.

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, WiFi, Edge, Bluetooth with A2DP.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Music First, Then Calling, Then Internet and Email, then SMS. Actually I'm looking for best music phone but the keypad phones don't have Wifi and 3G and other features with the music phone. I tried getting a good Mp3 player but the Mp3 players are vanishing like anything since last few years.

Also, my requirement for Internet is mainly for using an online radio most of the time, other than for Email. So, I don't know whether 3G would really be needed or not. But I think it would be nice to have 3G as an option.

Games is not a requirement at all, but I'd be viewing videos at times.

10. Any other requirements?
A: I'd like the phone to have a special music chip, and to get audiophile-like music quality. Other than that, the following list of features (which I think isn't too much to ask):
  • Loud inbuilt speaker
  • 64 GB memory card support
  • Able to record FM and calls
  • Good battery backup for music, calls and Internet
  • Multiple alarm feature - must have an option to set multiple alarms and use different MP3s for each.
  • No lags in the UI
  • Playlists and multiple bookmarks for music (and for videos too - but not very important)
  • Loud ring volume, loud and good call quality.
  • Viewer (and editor too) for MS Office docs and pdfs.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nokia Lumia 520 / 620 but I'm not sure about the music quality and sound output.

Kind Regards,
Casper^[DOUBLEPOST=1369490104][/DOUBLEPOST]No one l@@king at my post? ^Bump

Last edited by a moderator:
^Bump

Still no suggestions?

I'm also looking at Xperia Pro and it seems to have similar or better features than the Lumia 620.

Only thing is it runs Android gingerbread but upgrade-able to 4.1

Another drawback may be the 512 MB RAM on the Xperia Pro, which even though is fine for WP8, not good for running Android. (Though I won't even be running games).

A plus is the full qwerty keyboard on the Xperia Pro, which I'd love to have along with the touchscreen.

Another plus for Xperia Pro is that it's a good music phone, which is my primary requirement.

How is a 6 months used Xperia Pro for about 10 K INR?

So friends, any suggestions? Should I go with the Nokia Lumia 620 or Xperia Pro or something else?

My main concern with the Lumias is about the music quality. I'm looking for audiophile quality. Would it be good to deliver this quality?

What other smartphones (with most of my above mentioned features) have an inbuilt music chip, or are good for audiophiles?

May be I should better ask this in the Audio zone.

Hi Vyral,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll go for 720 then.

Is Xperia Pro outdated to get these days?

Xperia Pro is definitely no at this time. You would be better with Lumia 720 as suggested by aquaticbullet. Also are you considering buying separate music player, for good music and a phone for other uses mentioned ?

Well, Yes I9000 has the best audio chip (provided you flash Voodoo supported kernel + Voodoo sound). But the thing is Phone is outdated (like 3+ years old). Processor, RAM is too less to handle recent updates, though it is still being heavily supported by community.

Here are some OP's requirements :

• Loud inbuilt speaker - SGS does not have LOUD speakers.. I would say go with HTC kinda phones which provides loud speakers.. I don't find speakers necessary anymore though..
  • 64 GB memory card support - Yeah, most of the phones do support that as well.
  • Able to record FM and calls - Hmm, no Lumia 620 for this
  • Good battery backup for music, calls and Internet - One day battery backup is said good for today's phones.
  • Multiple alarm feature - must have an option to set multiple alarms and use different MP3s for each. - Almost every phone out there has this.
  • No lags in the UI - Windows Phone ftw.. You can't expect lagless experience in 15k-20k android phones.
  • Playlists and multiple bookmarks for music (and for videos too - but not very important) - Music apps should be able to do so.
  • Loud ring volume, loud and good call quality. - I would say, go with GSMArena reviews to compare phone speakers and earpiece quality.
  • Viewer (and editor too) for MS Office docs and pdfs. - MS Office => Windows Phone..

Ok.. Not all the features can be there in ONE phone as of now. I don't think there is any Music dedicated phone in that range.. If there is any Samsung Galaxy phone with wolfson dac. You can expect outstanding music quality with the same.

But in that price range, I would say go for Lumia 620.. It definitely is the best you can get in that price :)

Xperia Pro is definitely no at this time. You would be better with Lumia 720 as suggested by aquaticbullet. Also are you considering buying separate music player, for good music and a phone for other uses mentioned ?

Ok.. Not all the features can be there in ONE phone as of now. I don't think there is any Music dedicated phone in that range.. If there is any Samsung Galaxy phone with wolfson dac. You can expect outstanding music quality with the same.

But in that price range, I would say go for Lumia 620.. It definitely is the best you can get in that price :)

Thanks @vyral_143 and @Rahul++, for your suggestion.

Actually I had bought a Sansa Clip Zip and loved the quality and all the features (had rockboxed it), but it was too small in my hands, and I wanted a bigger one, so sold it. I waited for a new version of the Fuze but it never came. I'd go for the Fuze+ but for the bad touch UI!

Can you recommend a great music player like the Sansa Clip / Original Fuze, but without the shortcomings of these two? I'll get the Lumia as well as the music player if I get a good one. But I'd prefer a music player (with tactile controls) like the Clip+/ Clip Zip / Fuze and not a touch screen, unless it's a great player like the Cowon J3 (which is no longer available). The old Sony NWZ series (with built-in speaker) is hard to get and also they don't have a card slot, plus a tad pricey!

May be I should again ask in the Audio Zone forum for a good music player, but these days, I mentioned previosly, most good music players are dead. If only the Sansa Clip had a bigger version or the Fuze+ had tactical controls, I'd l have already gotten it.

Any suggestions for a separate, good music player are welcome.

Well I am not very well versed with the music players but I used to have a iPod Touch 2G 8GB, audio quality of which I liked. Also I m not an audiophile but a normal bass-clarity lover. I would suggest you to get Lumia 520 for 9.2K from HS18 super deals. With rest 6K you can buy a good music player.

check motorola xprt once (android 2.3).

if you have a mid to high end iem, clip zip gives one of the best listening experience.
or check cowon players.

Thank you for your reply.

I already loved the clip zip for it's sound and music quality. I agree with you, the clips give a great listening experience. I sold mine just because it was very small in my hands. There are deals on amazon and other U.S. websites where one could get a clip+ at about 18 USD these days. Getting it shipped here would add to the cost.

Anyway, I'll try to get it once again, if there's no other good music player matching the audio quality (I don't want to go for the Apple products).

The Cowon iAudio 9 / iAudio 10 are also touch UI based and without a card slot. May be the D2 / Z2 / X7 / X9?

I'm not a music enthusiast but I do find the sound quality of Lumia 520 pretty loud & clear. The speaker has an excellent volume. The bundled earphones are of out-ear variety but the sound clarity just blows my Xperia U out of the equation. The camera doesn't have a flash though.

If you want flash, I'd recommend Lumia 720. Don't go for the 620, it looks pretty horrible, has no FM radio hardware & even the screen size is less than that of the 520.

Does anyone know whether there's any possibility of getting an equalizer in any of the Lumias in the future? I don't know whether it's supported in the hardware or not.

I may leave the camera and go for the L520, thanks @pauldmps and @vyral_143 for the suggestion.

Would it be a good idea to get it off the local phone shop (price is 9.5K). I read on the L520 thread from someone whose L520 camera button stopped working and he got a replacement on day 3.

Back