Looking for Mini ITX Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinaypro

Disciple
Looking for miniITX mobo, any gen is fine.
1> It should support at minimum dual core processor, preferably intel but and is also fine.
2> PCI-e to support Intel I350-T4.
3> Resonable cost, around 4k or lesser.

Please PM me if you have an offer.

Could you tell why do you want this? From the looks of the requirements, you might be looking to build a network router.

In that case, I would suggest to replicate what @cyberwarfare has done, with an AMD APU series board. He is running pfsense, but not using a i350 T4.

are you referring to this post ? #4
If so he does use an 4 port network card..

Just for context, I am currently running pfsense as VM on my server. Which you might be aware has significant downside, the server can't be messed with. Since I am looking to mess around my server I need uninterrupted network so, looking for very cheap way to get a pfsense box(DIY). Before the VM I was running pfsense on LGA775 board, but the damn thing keeps hanging, guessing some motherboard problem( I still have it , planning on reviving it again and giving it a shot) and its only 1 gb ram, need a few more for suricata and other packages also right.. Mind you this all for home play .. so trying to keep it as cheap as possible.. :)

Just for context, I am currently running pfsense as VM on my server. Which you might be aware has significant downside, the server can't be messed with. Since I am looking to mess around my server I need uninterrupted network so, looking for very cheap way to get a pfsense box(DIY). Before the VM I was running pfsense on LGA775 board, but the damn thing keeps hanging, guessing some motherboard problem( I still have it , planning on reviving it again and giving it a shot) and its only 1 gb ram, need a few more for suricata and other packages also right.. Mind you this all for home play .. so trying to keep it as cheap as possible.. :)

Yes that is the post he is referring to.
If you are indeed building a pfsense box, i suggest that you pick up something similar to what i have, or if you can spend that extra money, get a qotom based system from aliexpress/banggood etc.
My cpu and board cost me about 7ish and the NIC was another 7.5 (quad port). the ram, boot media, psu and case are subjective based on what you want.

Do let me know if you need more help.

OT - Where are you located, and whats the up/down speed of your pfsense box going to be?

Yes that is the post he is referring to.
If you are indeed building a pfsense box, i suggest that you pick up something similar to what i have, or if you can spend that extra money, get a qotom based system from aliexpress/banggood etc.
My cpu and board cost me about 7ish and the NIC was another 7.5 (quad port). the ram, boot media, psu and case are subjective based on what you want.

Do let me know if you need more help.

OT - Where are you located, and whats the up/down speed of your pfsense box going to be?

Could you please mention the exact motherboard your using.. and are you using a ATX PSU or micro PSU with laptop style charger brick? Does the CPU support AES?

Other than the NIC i have to get everything else, but not looking to shell out more than 7 to 8k.. might be too tight.. but i think i can manage within that range.. But i want to give a shot at the microPSU which is overshooting my budget..
I did consider qotom , but the cost benefit did not make sense to me, which is when i decided to got with a virtual router. Just in case I

I am located in Bangalore...
I have not done any specific speed tests ,i.e, with suricata on or over VPN..
but over normal functionality ,i.e, basic router setup, i get 60-70 down and 10-20 up.. over 75mbps ACT line.. Infact i have to say that though its virtual this has been the most stable router i ever had since ever.. I had asus/tp-link etc.. and all of them had some problem or the other and eventually had to reboot.. This has been on for months without a problem, except recently i had to shutdown due to electricity outage during the recent rains..

Do you both, @cyberwarfare and @vivek.krishnan run on a dedicated setup or is it virtual? Do you use VPN or snort/suricata? If so have you checked the speeds?
It good to know there are ppl trying out diy routers here assuming you guys are put up in INDIA..

I am running pfsense on VM as well, and this is at my office with 2 i350 T4's. I am not aware of any limitations surrounding the server yet, but then I am running it on a X3100M4 on ESXi 6.5, the free version. Will be upgrading this to the paid version later.

My house too will be getting pfsense, but after I get a decent UPS. However, it will be either based on linux with containers or Hyper V.

upload_2017-10-23_10-26-50.png

Could you please mention the exact motherboard your using.. and are you using a ATX PSU or micro PSU with laptop style charger brick? Does the CPU support AES?

Other than the NIC i have to get everything else, but not looking to shell out more than 7 to 8k.. might be too tight.. but i think i can manage within that range.. But i want to give a shot at the microPSU which is overshooting my budget..
I did consider qotom , but the cost benefit did not make sense to me, which is when i decided to got with a virtual router. Just in case I

but over normal functionality ,i.e, basic router setup, i get 60-70 down and 10-20 up.. over 75mbps ACT line.. Infact i have to say that though its virtual this has been the most stable router i ever had since ever.. I had asus/tp-link etc.. and all of them had some problem or the other and eventually had to reboot.. This has been on for months without a problem, except recently i had to shutdown due to electricity outage during the recent rains..

Do you both, @cyberwarfare and @vivek.krishnan run on a dedicated setup or is it virtual? Do you use VPN or snort/suricata? If so have you checked the speeds?
It good to know there are ppl trying out diy routers here assuming you guys are put up in INDIA..

pfsense is one of the best I have seen, sadly lack of support is what is not helping. Add to it the people in India or at least the AMC vendors want to push paid stuff, rather than open stuff...

I run it across 6-7 installs, 2 virtual and rest physical. Will be migrating all to virtual slowly.

@cyberwarfare runs it on an AMD box with AES NI support.

I did try my hand at VPNs, but due to certain issues, had to skip. snort was deployed earlier.

I am not aware of any limitations surrounding the server yet
Well the limitation is only when we want play around the hypervisor.. I did try esxi, unraid and proxmox.. and of the 3 only proxmox was able to work with gaming VM and pfsense.. With unraid pfsense was big problem and with esxi pass through of GPU for gaming VM was a problem.. thought many other were able to do fine.. Which is why I settled for proxmox.. But to be frank, if I get pfsense out on a dedicated box then i will used unraid.. I somehow like the GUI of esxi and unraid .. but proxmox not so much esp when it is managing storage to the hypervisor..

Well the limitation is only when we want play around the hypervisor.. I did try esxi, unraid and proxmox.. and of the 3 only proxmox was able to work with gaming VM and pfsense.. With unraid pfsense was big problem and with esxi pass through of GPU for gaming VM was a problem.. thought many other were able to do fine.. Which is why I settled for proxmox.. But to be frank, if I get pfsense out on a dedicated box then i will used unraid.. I somehow like the GUI of esxi and unraid .. but proxmox not so much esp when it is managing storage to the hypervisor..

I would be testing with Hyper V, since with 2.4 they have added support. No issues with ESXi anyways, been using over 6 months.

My machine is dedicated to pfsense and routerOS.[DOUBLEPOST=1508754806][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is your line rate affected?

CPU issues. Hence removed.

I would be testing with Hyper V, since with 2.4 they have added support. No issues with ESXi anyways, been using over 6 months.

My machine is dedicated to pfsense and routerOS.
routerOS, but why? pfsense can do what routerOS does..
I thought ESXi was the most stable.. why are looking to test on hyper-V? any advantages?

I run it on a dedicated system. The exact motherboard is this (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1H-ITX/)
I use a ATX psu, since the board doesnt support DC in

Edit: Yes the CPU and board support AES-NI, so fully future proof with pfsense 2.5

OT - Ill probably be getting a new pfsense board (looking at the supermicro 2550 based setup) and ill probably sell my components at that time.

Thanks @cyberwarfare and @vivek.krishnan ...
I decided to remain with pfsense as VM and only for firewall ,i.e, IPS pfblocker and other services. Might try other UTM also..
And I am going to get edgerouterX for basic router.. I believe that is best possible way forward.. small, less power and no sound ..

routerOS, but why? pfsense can do what routerOS does..
I thought ESXi was the most stable.. why are looking to test on hyper-V? any advantages?

router OS is vendor specific.

Hyper V because the board I have is fully supported with Windows Server, not ESXi[DOUBLEPOST=1508788604][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks @cyberwarfare and @vivek.krishnan ...
I decided to remain with pfsense as VM and only for firewall ,i.e, IPS pfblocker and other services. Might try other UTM also..
And I am going to get edgerouterX for basic router.. I believe that is best possible way forward.. small, less power and no sound ..

For home/SOHO use, look at Sophos UTM as well - free for home use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back