Laptops m1330 heat stroke

lounge

Disciple
waiting eagerly for delhi chilling winters as then i can use my dell xps m1130 as a room heater.. now this is called multi tasking..

after getting my mobo and heat sink changed once last year, my lappy gets sooo hot at almost all places.. it just does not discriminate when it comes to heating.. it heats really badly and equally at all places..

i use cooler master's infinite cooling pad, at its highest speed.. and out of mercy sometimes, just use the lappy for simple browsing only.. but it heats up still, i guess its moody.. heats up anyways..

i wonder, why the, i mean what the hell dell would do about it? i am out of my warranty now.. though dell promises extended warranty on m1330 heating issues.. i have got nvidia on it too..

now i put the coolingpad and then lapy on it and then use it on my lap while lying on the bed, if i need to..

whats the use of a ultra light weight super expensive laptop when i have to use a 1000 grams cooling pad always with it..

so much so i have to carry the cooling pad with me in my laptop bag cos without it i can't imagine using this little genius..

what should i do.. its been 15 months since i got this and the problem is becoming worse everyday, i mean i guess it heats even more as it has become a bit old..

but the heat is really toooooooo much..

plz suggest..

What ever you do, do it soon as this heat can render your lappy dead at any moment.

btw, bout the extended warranty, i think they need to run a complete test before you can re avail the warranty. But its safer if you extend the warranty and get it serviced. XPS shud run really cool, as per my experience. I OC my M1530 GPU a lot, even more than the desktop counterpart of same GPU, as still wont cross 70c on GPU. CPU never crossed 55c.

I think the heatpipe assembly contact with the cpu/gpu might be the problem.

Laptop heatsinks also use thermal contact pads and thermal grease. Recheck both if you can for good contact, and dryness.

Ensure the heatsink fins are clear of dust. Can cause unnecessary heating.

If all else fails, use a easy tool (rightmark cpu clock) and underclock your cpu to keep it cool.

For warranty, you can extend it by upto 2 years. Call up the support center and ask for it. As you are out of warranty, they will quote only after a dell guy runs a full assessment of the laptop and its current condition.

underclocking might not be possible, as every frequency related stuffs are locked in BIOS.

Use a vacuum cleaner to blow off the dusts from the heatsink grill. It really brings down the temps by 10c or more if u already have fair amount of dust.

ive been using the m1330 for almost 2 years now. ive had a couple of mobo replacements. make sure you have the latest bios, it increases the fan speed and runs the machine cooler. mine does not heat up like you are mentioning.

i remember, i renewed my warranty just before the 1st year was gonna get over. a few weeks later, i got the 2nd mobo replacement. had i not payed for the warranty then, i would have had to shell out the same amount just for the new mobo and still not have any warranty on the machine.

Can I play TF2/CSS on an XPS M1330 without it getting too heated?

Thinking of buying this but the heating issues and the 9400GM/GS card have me doubting this lappy's gaming abilities.

Talked to the dell rep -

they say unless the issue comes up with the nvidia,they won't replace the mobo.. but as of now the over heating issue is related to the heat sink and i am out of my warranty, they can't do anything about it..

they asked me to extend my warranty which shall cost now (after the known heating issue) about 19.5k for one year..

mobo shall only get replaced if they find the graphics card issue on my system, which has symptoms of system not booting properly, vertical colored lines etc.. i had this issue earlier and they simply replaced my mobo and heat sink last year in nov..

now as my system boots up properly and the graphics card is working fine (as of now) they can't change anything or do anything..

i think my laptop can burn its GPU again as the pre stage to that is over heating only.. but this is not done, just cos of a crappy design of dell xps m1330, i have to keep upgrading my warranty and pay that huge amount to dell for part replacement..

i use my laptop very nicely, in an AC room most of the time, use a cooling pad most of the time and then just cos of the popular heating issue of m1330 i have to shell out huge amount of money cos this baby can go bad anytime??

this is really bad.. do we all face such issues with all laptops in the market?

paying 70k for this sytem and its been 15 months since i got this one, i have alrady got one mobo and heat sink replacement, now i should keep paying dell for this issue every year.. and still i can't trust any time that this laptop is reliable, can be used on a lap xyz..

i feel so bad to purchase this system from dell.. i did not extend my warranty thinking that the heating issue as such is covered by dell for about 36 months (as told to me by the dell rep last year) so i was relaxed about it..

but now they say its not 36 months its just one year and that too when the system stops booting at all..

so now i have to wait till my system stops responding one day and then dell will listen to me..

wow.. is this the service of the best laptop brand in the world?

There is a very long (and ongoing ) thread on NotebookReview about this (Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion ). They discuss the possibility of using

a) a piece of copper on your graphics card heatsink r

b) a big glob of IC Diamond 7 to replace your heat pads.

For a lot of people, both these approaches have worked very well. Again, do it on your own risk, however if you do want to try, people have suggested the IC Diamond 7 method to be the easier one (Official ICD7 Thread - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion )

knowing this issue and also the fact that dell was giving extended warranty for the gpu issue, i still upgraded the warranty before the 1st year got over. i paid roughly 15k with complete care for an additional 2 years. have had one mobo+heatsink+ram and one optical drive replacement since then. have also had another mobo replacement apart from a speaker and wifi card replacement earlier.

after giving a read to all the suggestions here, i have given a vacuum cleaner air blow to the heat sink and fan - a lot of mud came out.. felt good seeing the mud rushing out..

now the fan runs slightly more silent.. but the below procy area still gets heat up very much.. i am thinking to apply ice diamond 7 paste..

any suggestions for applying the paste and if i can get it from nehru place or croma delhi??

what else can i do about it? i mean i don't want to buy dell warranty extension for 1 year for about 19.5 k..

15-19k for 2 year complete cover sounds too much!!!! as a co. we pay between 4 & 6k for 3 yr complete cover 8x5 4hr same day response service...

As eg. see my Sig for latitude

mine is XPS M 1530.

it wud be down to some 10k for 2 yrs for just onsite service + parts warranty.

but i chose to include accidental warranty with complete cover. Thts why it shot to 16k.

Back