Laptops macbook - good choice?

lounge

Disciple
just while researching for a suitable small screen laptop, i saw macbook in a mall..

specs are - macbook specs

i was originally thinking of Dell XPS M1330 which is going to cost me approximately same for the specs i would get in a Macbook (basic model) am somewhat planning to purchase.

Specs i shall get in the Macbook for approx 55,000/-

- 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolution
- 2.0 ghz core 2 duo | L2 cache 4MB shared | System bus 800MHz
- 1GB (two 512MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); supports up to 4GB
- 80GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
- Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) {can be upgraded to 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)}
- Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
- Built-in iSight camera; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video and composite video (requires adapters, sold separately)
- One FireWire 400 port (8 watts) | Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
- Mac OS X - leopard
- Vista and XP (both x86 & 64 bit) can run on parallel or boot camp.. i.e. dual boot with windows supported due to C2D..

pros of macbook in question are --

1. Dual OS - OS X and windows
2. cool price.. although as i have mentioned i can get dell XPS M1330 of similar specs in almost same price..
3. don't know if its a hype, but they say for designers and for video and music editing/composing macs are the best.. although i doubt it to an extent..
3. MAC OS is considered more stable than windows.. certainly as compared to XP..

Cons. -

1. bad Graphics card - on board - Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
2. no PCI card slot and card reader.. although i can get a adapter for mini DVI port and use USB slot instead of PCI..
3. little bit bigger n heavier than DELL XPS.. matters haan..

but still when i am spending about 55k.. may be more.. i really want to make it sure that i am getting the best deal..

so, please give me ur inputs.. that'll be really helpfull...

General Questions -

1) What is your budget? not over 70k

2) What size notebook would you prefer? b

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less

b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Dell, Mac, HP, lenovo

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook? surfing, programming, web design, displaying presentation to clients, blogging, reading ebooks, gotta show off cos shall need to carry with me to impress clients.. i am a freelancer web developer.. i use adobe softwares mainly.. never worked with MAC machines and OS.. music creation using Logic or ableton, reason, nuendo and VST instruments etc.. shall hook to my 20.1 view sonic LCD monitor if required..

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk? shall use it when i am tired of sitting on my desk, shall use it on couch for reading stuff, shall take to clients as i have mentioned.. or may be on trips to be in touch with work n answer emails using wireless internet..

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games? No

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? As much as I can get but still light in weight

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person? nope

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

The one with the least problems!!! i am although inquisitive to using OS X along with XP pro and vista

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen? widescreen

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

i would prefer 1400X900

Standard

a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.

b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.

c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen

d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? non glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? yeah

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last? not less than 2.5 years

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB? 100 gb

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

DVD-CD/RW

few things i though shall be good if i answer for you guys to help in more specifically.. also, i am not just struck to macbook.. other options are welcome.. thanks

Don't go for a DVD/CD-RW. You will find that a DVD-RW is very useful at the worst of times.

I think Mac would be ok for your needs. Since you mention that you want a stylish laptop and one with the least amount of problems. Anyway, you can always run XP through boot camp. But I would prefer that some Mac user give feedback on this.

Nobody is going for Lenovo. Their lower end models are bulky and their higher end don't even come with all the bells and whistles.

I'd highly recommend a MacBook for design and audio, and it sounds like those are your needs. Although, upgrade to 2GB memory- you'll need it. I'm in the midst of deciding between a MacBook and XPS M1330, for pretty much the same purpose- design, audio and gaming. I'm leaning more towards the XPS because a few great open source programs I use are only available for Windows, and I'd like to play some Q3/Q4 :p

RiO said:
I'm leaning more towards the XPS because a few great open source programs I use are only available for Windows, and I'd like to play some Q3/Q4 :p

but u can dual boot windows with OS X.. i am really not sure about the performance of windows XP or Vista and their drivers availability on a mac machine.. although, so far i have heard that windows run smooth with bootcamp or parallel .. but then do they run, totally like a windows machine would? i mean with the driver support etc..?

n yeah, i don't want to game on a laptop.. so gaming is not an issue for me..

but for tiny winy graphics design, web development, video editing - how bad is the INTEL graphics card in this macbook?..

cos, i shall be doing most of my work on my AMD X2 5000 with 2 gig ram and viewsonic VX 2026 20.1 LCD widescreen..

so basically i am not totally dependent on lappy for all my work..

but then again, if i am gonna spend around 55k, i just have to make sure, if its worth spending on a macbook or should i increase my budget to dell XPS M1330..

may be i can decrease my budget n get n cheapo dell 14.1" C2D basic lappy.. cos this shall also suffice my needs to show off in front of clients.. (currently i don't have a laptop, i tell my clients i don't have one, which can/has put me in trouble as one always expects a web developer to own a laptop, for that matter a super cool n good laptop.. so, this makes it important for me to have a laptop, otherwise i am really happy with my great rig i mentioned above)

just the thought that Macbook is stylish n a good name to own, gives me an intro to MAC OS world with leopard.. is making me incline towards it..

i just have to decide, is that extra money worth spending to get a dual OS supporting Macbook with a bad graphics card and no PCI card slot..

my budget is super flexible.. cos i need a lappy for work.. i am a freelancer web developer/designer.. :)

^^ Windows will run like it should, on Bootcamp and apple will give all the drivers that are necessary for windows to run. So dual booting on a mac is not a big issue. I have no idea how the intel gfx performs in games, but one of my colleagues runs photoshop on his macbook and he has no complaints so far.
You might consider going for the macbook if you want a stylish system with a stable programming platform and a ton of multimedia applications.

Rio, The XPS with the LED backlight option and a 8400 upgrade would be the best fit for you...

lounge, for you, it is a close call....but most artistically inclined folks swear by OS X ... + a webdesigner with a Macbook would create a better (first) impression in front of clients

Having played with both these systems for a while, here is my take

XPS 1330

Pros:

Brilliant screen (with the led option)... the macbook does not even come close

discrete gfx option

great warranty support

Cons

decent build quality but nowhere in comparison to the macbook

no OS X

Macbook

Pros

OS X (+ dual boot option too)

Brilliantly styled

Great build quality

Cons

Good screen but not comparable to the LED backlighted XPS 1330

single button trackpad (no right click button)

no discrete gfx

PS Lounge, 1440X900 wouldn't come on a 13.3", you need 14.1 at least

superzar - wats ur opinion? u gave me some pros n cons.. but actually more or less, am aware about them (except the LED thing on XPS).. ur opinion matters more..

i have just found that on bhphotovideo.com - macbook shall cost me 48.5k including shipping..

so another reduction in price.. i.e. 55.5k in delhi minus 48.5k online = approx 7k.. wow, i can upgrade 1 gig ram in this amount..

But please tell me
-

1. Is it advisable to purchase online? i guess warranty is global with macs.. so no need to worry.. or do i need to?

2. How bad is macbook with such a gfx and no led light for screen as compared to XPS in terms of VFM etc?
.. also macbook is slightly big n weighs lil more than XPS..

3. if i keep the "impress the client" thing aside - how big performance difference in general, for media works, does the Mac OS X has over Xp pro or vista (running on C2D 2ghz).. does this become a reason enough to migrate to mac cos its much superior in performance than windows?

i am new to mac, so far windows have been my platform.. although, i guess, single mouse thing should not be a big problem cos

a. i can get a double button mouse

b. i can get used to single mouse n the mac keyboard (what ya say?)

4. I take it this way that whatever may happen, the fastest n the best CPUs shall be always desktops(they get the best technology first).. then y to buy a high end laptop where i can do all my work on the fastest desktop n for computing on move purchase a decent laptop..

thats where i refrain from going expensive laptops.. cos if i shall buy XPS, then i will purchase it with best specs.. n if I purchase XPS with similar specs of Macbook, then I get little bit advantage with Mac.. like – option of Mac OS, n get macbook cheap online.. much cheaper than XPS ..lol that’s all with advantages..

Rest everything is same... But on the other hand XPS has-

Option for better gfx – LED – PCI card n I guess memory card reader etc..

I don’t have budget issues.. I can stretch up to 75k.. But I don't see the point in doing so.. I should rather get a quad core desktop..

Ok fine – some facts

I do most of my work on desk – from desktop..
from my own little studio i have made at my home.. Perhaps I shall use the laptop for taking my work (logo, offline websites, flash work, presentation bla bla) to show it to clients on laptop.. and I shall use it when I shall get tired or sick n have to lie down n do the work.. see .. but otherwise, sitting on a comfortable chair with a big 20.1” wide LCD monitor shall be my choice of working most of the time..

So, I see the use of the lappy to this extent only..

Please give me the inputs n other possible usage of laptop if i am missing any, cos i have never owned one before n i really don't want to end up going for a second best alternative suitable for me.. hard it is, i know.. but i think with TE , its possible.. 90% of things (PC/electronics) i purchase after consulting here..

thanks..

Rupee for rupee, you should get better performing hardware with a Dell vs a Mac. Apple's products are always overpriced but you're mainly paying for the looks and brand value.

You mentioned that you don't mind buying the laptop without seeing it. This IMO is a big mistake. I don't think you would want to regret a 50K purchase. Make the effort and take a look at the system before buying it. Hell, you might just be repelled by the all white/(all metal now?) look of the Macbook.

You can use the laptop as a desktop if your laptop is a good performer. Just buy a USB mouse, USB keyboard and you already have a 20.1 Viewsonic LCD. This is exactly what I'm having in mind and I'm toying with the idea as I feel I'm just downloading and surfing/watching movies most of the time.

But please tell me-

1. Is it advisable to purchase online? i guess warranty is global with macs.. so no need to worry.. or do i need to?

global warranty...

Though I guess you already know that you'll need to ask someone to carry that macbook from the US to here if you buy it from bhphotovideo

2. How bad is macbook with such a gfx and no led light for screen as compared to XPS in terms of VFM etc?.. also macbook is slightly big n weighs lil more than XPS..

yes, it is bigger and heavier,...the gfx card shouldn't really matter to you considering you don't intend to game on it

The Macbook has a nice screen, better than most regular lappies..it's just that the XPS LED screen is superlative

3. if i keep the "impress the client" thing aside - how big performance difference in general, for media works, does the Mac OS X has over Xp pro or vista (running on C2D 2ghz).. does this become a reason enough to migrate to mac cos its much superior in performance than windows?

i am new to mac, so far windows have been my platform.. although, i guess, single mouse thing should not be a big problem cos

a. i can get a double button mouse

b. i can get used to single mouse n the mac keyboard (what ya say?)

OS X works entirely differently which is why head to head or quantitative performance tests don't really mean a thing

This is not the right forum or thread to discuss OS X vs Windows, but suffice to say that most professional graphic designers swear by the Mac

I personally use a Mac as my entertainment rig while windows for work

4. I take it this way that whatever may happen, the fastest n the best CPUs shall be always desktops(they get the best technology first).. then y to buy a high end laptop where i can do all my work on the fastest desktop n for computing on move purchase a decent laptop..

thats where i refrain from going expensive laptops.. cos if i shall buy XPS, then i will purchase it with best specs.. n if I purchase XPS with similar specs of Macbook, then I get little bit advantage with Mac.. like – option of Mac OS, n get macbook cheap online.. much cheaper than XPS ..lol that’s all with advantages..

another very tangential line of thinking...

Also, even if you purchase the XPS, i don't see any reason why you should buyu it with the best specs

I'll bet a loaded chocolate sundae if someone can differentiate between a T5250 and T7650 (hell, even a T2400) without running benchmarking proggies or running CPU intensive games

If you do buy the xps, stick to the default config + the LED screen + maybe a 8400 upgrade

Rest everything is same... But on the other hand XPS has-

Option for better gfx – LED – PCI card n I guess memory card reader etc..

I don’t have budget issues.. I can stretch up to 75k.. But I don't see the point in doing so.. I should rather get a quad core desktop..

off topic

why even get in a laptop vs PC debate

I do most of my work on desk – from desktop.. from my own little studio i have made at my home.. Perhaps I shall use the laptop for taking my work (logo, offline websites, flash work, presentation bla bla) to show it to clients on laptop.. and I shall use it when I shall get tired or sick n have to lie down n do the work.. see .. but otherwise, sitting on a comfortable chair with a big 20.1” wide LCD monitor shall be my choice of working most of the time..

So, I see the use of the lappy to this extent only..Please give me the inputs n other possible usage of laptop if i am missing any, cos i have never owned one before n i really don't want to end up going for a second best alternative suitable for me.. hard it is, i know.. but i think with TE , its possible.. 90% of things (PC/electronics) i purchase after consulting here..

get the Macbook...you'll not regret it, + you'll save a couple of grands too

Superzar - thanks for such an elaborate reply.. it has cleared lot of things.. i am sorry i went off topic..

actually, i shall purchase from bhphotovideo and get it shipped to my home.. 48.5k is inclusive of shipping to india.. but, i wonder if it is liable for custom duty coming via courier.. (UPS)

hey lounge, are you sure about the 55k pricing for macbook in india?? cause the last time i asked a dealer in chennai, he quoted around 65k for the base model :(

^^^ dude i bought the second one (tats wit superdrive and 120gb ) for 63k.. and that to way back in the first week of sept.. so im absolutely sure tat they would not cost more tan 60k now.. and as for 65k for the base model well ur dealer is tryin to skim u big..

and yeah dont really think about having it couriered .. the customs is a big mess, expense and headache.. either buy it locally or ask a relative/friend to carry it over..

yeah its 55.5k with tax.. i saw it in a mall in noida for even 54.4k.. but as i got to know about the duty on courier thing, the cost has gone up back to 55.5k(on purchasing from delhi dealer).. so, i gotta re-consider XPS once more, cos macbook with 2 gb ram shall cost me around 60.5k..

right now, the only criterion on which i should get macbook is if i really wanna try our MAC OS X.. otherwise, XPS clearly beats macbook in all other areas..

PS: Superzar - u have already concluded macbook for me, but this price hike (back to Indian dealer price thing) has again made this call close.. right now i am thoroughly researching over forums for reviews of MAC OS X.. finding if its a reason enough to migrate to mac.. :)

Like everyone has pointed out, there is no point guessing if you'll like OSX. Just goto some dealer and give it a shot. Only then will you be comfortable making a choice. I personally have checked out the macbook and i loved osx for its simplicity, and crash free usage :)

check this out - YouTube - Mac OS X on Dell XPS M1330

wow, may be one more reason to go for xps..

i am still researching.. whereas, checksum, as u said, go personally to a mac store n give macbook a short.. well, i did that once.. found it quite bulky, n full of scrathes.. it was white in color n full of scratches.. well, it was a display macbook, thats y had those ugly scars.. but, still it tells me how bad it can look, if it gets a scratch or two..

.. but, still i shall complete my research, n with consulting here at TE, shall go for the purchase soon.. [:)]..

One thing about the macbook - the hdds on these things are usually low RPM, with no option to move to a higher one. And let me tell you, rpm really matters.

Back