Laptops Macbook pro touchbar model dead

Hi,
Yesterday al of a sudden my macbook pro 2016 model did'nt swich on.
It was completely dead. Service centre is saying the motherboard has to be replaced after running some basic tests. They are saying it will cost 60k inr. wow.
Is there any other way to get it to work again for a cheaper price?
I'm in tamilnadu and laptop is out of warranty.
DO i really have to shell out 60k to get it to work again?

Thanks

Hi,
It was completely dead. Service centre is saying the motherboard has to be replaced after running some basic tests. They are saying it will cost 60k inr. wow.

Thanks

If i'm not mistaken, the processor, RAM and storage are soldered on to the motherboard. You can't just replace the motherboard alone. That's why the high cost.

Sorry about this. Try contacting some other unofficial vendors that do this in your area. You might be able to get a new board for cheaper (some may even try to repair the board). It's worth a shot.

Hi,

Thanks
If it is dead with no evident underlying reason, try a PRAM reset.. If you are lucky, maybe that may fix it
pram reset

what actually happened to the mac how can it be dead suddenly?

I did'nt do anything. Few days back when I tried to use it, I could'nt get it to power on. Everything is completely dead.
Service centre says that it looks like the power circuit is gone. Motherboard needs to be replaced. 60k for that.
No other option is there. And if I give it outside and it still does'nt work, apple won't touch it again as third party has messed with it.
I asked m local repair guy and he says that he can fix it. But service center says you can try but then they can't replace anything since I have given it to unauthorized dealer.
Don't know what to do.

I did'nt do anything. Few days back when I tried to use it, I could'nt get it to power on. Everything is completely dead.
Service centre says that it looks like the power circuit is gone. Motherboard needs to be replaced. 60k for that.
No other option is there. And if I give it outside and it still does'nt work, apple won't touch it again as third party has messed with it.
I asked m local repair guy and he says that he can fix it. But service center says you can try but then they can't replace anything since I have given it to unauthorized dealer.
Don't know what to do.
Dont tell them you went to a local guy. If it doesnt work with local guy, ask him to put it back as it was. If you ask them, they will obviously scare you.

Don't know what to do.

They are just bluffing. They will never say no to money. Who, in their right mind, will say no to a customer willing to spend 60k to repair a laptop.
Also, my personal advice will be to not get it repaired from Apple at all. There are enough capable repair guys out there who can do the job satisfactorily.

oh.. It's the 2016 touchbar model. I thought if the service guy is unable to repair it and apple denies repair after that my laptop which I bought for 2L would be wasted.
Apple service guy said, the repair guy will try to replace components with local spare parts and apple will refuse to repair it in he future if it finds out.

Faced a similar issue with an Air - they asked for 40K ish for a display change. We were like, pay around 50% more and get a new Air... finally, fixed it locally for 20K.

Would advise you to do the following - first, look at Tier 1 cities where you have these repair chaps (Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad). Should cost you around 50% or less of the Apple estimates. Plus, they will have the parts needed or can get them quickly.

Hi,

Thanks
Where in TN ?

Faced a similar issue with an Air - they asked for 40K ish for a display change. We were like, pay around 50% more and get a new Air... finally, fixed it locally for 20K.

Would advise you to do the following - first, look at Tier 1 cities where you have these repair chaps (Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad). Should cost you around 50% or less of the Apple estimates. Plus, they will have the parts needed or can get them quickly.

Thanks. I might be going gto chennai in 2 weeks. I'll try there.

Where in TN ?
trichy

I usually get my things done at sili computers, thillai nagar and one more branch near bishop heber college.. you can check there[DOUBLEPOST=1542042366][/DOUBLEPOST]another option I would suggest you is, you can search in olx, there maybe guys with a dead screen of your same model, searching for a buyer for his mobo... just have a try

Last edited:
In a similar situation, anyone knows a good repair guy in Kolkata? Thanks!

Can you explain what happened to your macbook pro? Did you go to apple service center?

I usually get my things done at sili computers, thillai nagar and one more branch near bishop heber college.. you can check there[DOUBLEPOST=1542042366][/DOUBLEPOST]another option I would suggest you is, you can search in olx, there maybe guys with a dead screen of your same model, searching for a buyer for his mobo... just have a try

Did you repair a macbook? Will checkout the place. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not macbook. .. serviced laptops , desktops. There is a guy Bilal at thillai nagar branch. Usually he handles complicated issues..

Okay, I have some experience fixing macbooks.

The model you have, there are typically 2 reasons why the laptop does not power on.

1) There are 4 power IC's, one for each thunderbolt port. Even if one of them malfunctions, none of them will work. I believe the part number for these are U9300 338S00227-A0.

2) The other thing that can go bad is ISL95828HRTZ U7100. This is a power IC that feeds 3V3 etc.

I can with a lot of confidence say that your problem is with one of these chips and a replacement should not cost more than USD 20-30. Not sure how easy it would be for you to get spares domestically.

Back