Laptops Macbook pro touchbar model dead

Okay, I have some experience fixing macbooks.

The model you have, there are typically 2 reasons why the laptop does not power on.

1) There are 4 power IC's, one for each thunderbolt port. Even if one of them malfunctions, none of them will work. I believe the part number for these are U9300 338S00227-A0.

2) The other thing that can go bad is ISL95828HRTZ U7100. This is a power IC that feeds 3V3 etc.

I can with a lot of confidence say that your problem is with one of these chips and a replacement should not cost more than USD 20-30. Not sure how easy it would be for you to get spares domestically.
Awesome! I took mine to Apple service centre and they ruled out the thunderbolt ICs, so it must be the other one? Since they said, had it been the Thunderbolt ones, it could have been fixed with less amount, but they diagnosed and found out its the one on the motherboard, and they can't do repairs, only replacement.

How hard is it to do it yourself? Or if I have the right part, I can just get it done somewhere?

Awesome! I took mine to Apple service centre and they ruled out the thunderbolt ICs, so it must be the other one? Since they said, had it been the Thunderbolt ones, it could have been fixed with less amount, but they diagnosed and found out its the one on the motherboard, and they can't do repairs, only replacement.

How hard is it to do it yourself? Or if I have the right part, I can just get it done somewhere?

I wouldn't trust Apple India at all. It may still be one of the TB IC's that are bad.

If you are comfortable with SMD soldering then it should be possible to do it yourself. If you have the part, an expert or someone in the trade can do this very easily in less than 5 mins. Parts are available on aliexpress.[DOUBLEPOST=1542103052][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is the link. Couldn't find a smaller lot size.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20p...ower-IC-U7100-I95828-i-95828/32904689993.html

I wouldn't trust Apple India at all. It may still be one of the TB IC's that are bad.

If you are comfortable with SMD soldering then it should be possible to do it yourself. If you have the part, an expert or someone in the trade can do this very easily in less than 5 mins. Parts are available on aliexpress.[DOUBLEPOST=1542103052][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is the link. Couldn't find a smaller lot size.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20p...ower-IC-U7100-I95828-i-95828/32904689993.html
Thanks a ton! I guess I would then first need a reliable way to determine which one of the ICs has gone bad. Also, even if one IC of the 4 Thunderbolts were to go bad, does it mean all would not function? currently, nothing works, and the laptop is just dead :(

Thanks a ton! I guess I would then first need a reliable way to determine which one of the ICs has gone bad. Also, even if one IC of the 4 Thunderbolts were to go bad, does it mean all would not function? currently, nothing works, and the laptop is just dead :(

Yes that is the brilliance of apple engineering. Even if one thunderbolt IC has an issue, none will work as they all connect to each other.[DOUBLEPOST=1542110111][/DOUBLEPOST]Also you can check yourself at home, all you need is a multimeter. The schematics can be found online. Apple cracks down very heavily on those that share, therefore will be unable to share the same.

Last edited:
y2s is correct.

I had a dead MBP 2016 15" with touchbar. All over the interwebs, there are reports of the USB-C boards frequently dying but not in enough numbers to make it a "usb-c-gate" Fortunately, I had apple care so it was fixed as part of that warranty plan.

And yeah. Do not go exclusively by Apple's diagnosis. Test on your own. Check the USB C boards. If they are dead you might get away with replacing them yourself by using something like this - https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...-A1707-Late-2016-2017-USB-C-Board/IF123-071-1

If it's the chip on the board, then it will be hard and definitely expensive.

y2s is correct.

I had a dead MBP 2016 15" with touchbar. All over the interwebs, there are reports of the USB-C boards frequently dying but not in enough numbers to make it a "usb-c-gate" Fortunately, I had apple care so it was fixed as part of that warranty plan.

And yeah. Do not go exclusively by Apple's diagnosis. Test on your own. Check the USB C boards. If they are dead you might get away with replacing them yourself by using something like this - https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...-A1707-Late-2016-2017-USB-C-Board/IF123-071-1

If it's the chip on the board, then it will be hard and definitely expensive.

The USB-C flex cable you link to is simply the port, not the controller. If one of these ports are damaged, I believe the others will still work. You must focus your attention on the controllers that are SMD soldered onto the board. The ones I mention in my previous post.

Called a few shops who repair apple product and they said in touchbar modes everything is glued and only replacement can be done. Guess the only way is to shell out 60k.
I'm not gonna give it to some third party guy who thinks he cam repair without actually having any experience on touch bar models.
Because once 3rd party is involved , apple won't repair it after that. SO I have to get 100% guarantee he will repair.

Back