• Turn laptop on regularly even if not needed

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Leave it off

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

techfan

Disciple
Hi all,

I have a 18-month old HP laptop (HP Pavilion x360 laptop CD0077TU) which I only use rarely. Even when it is powered off when not being used the battery level drops quite quickly (it discharges completely in about 30-45 days of non use).

a) Is that level of battery discharge when unused normal?

b) Is it better for it & its' battery's long term care for me to turn it on before the battery runs out completely just to charge it or is it better to keep it turned off even after the battery discharges completely. In the former I'll be using a battery cycle but in the latter the battery will be stored for few months at a time without a charge, so am not sure which is the better option?

Discharging completely in 30 - 45 days when laptop is powered off for a Li-ion is unusual. It means there is drain and that is being used to power something else. Is there a way for you to disconnect the battery or is it sealed in ?

Generally speaking Li-ion batteries should be stored at around 50% charge. Storage temperature matters but i'm assuming room temperature so around the 25 degree mark. 35 and higher will have quicker discharge rates.

Switch it off and see whether the time to flat is longer.

battery is sealed in. have broken my head with hp support as even i felt this sort of drainage was unusual but they have been of no help & just a complete waste of time

i've stored at around 80% charge as thats the suggestions i came across

i've stored at around 80% charge as thats the suggestions i came across
How did you use the laptop in those 18 months ? was it always connected to the power or did you disconnect once full and then recharge later like a phone

How much backup in hours did you get towards the end compared with at the beginning ? was there a noticeable drop in backup time when off the charger

How did you use the laptop in those 18 months ? was it always connected to the power or did you disconnect once full and then recharge later like a phone

not much, 8-10 hours at a time once a month or so i would say on average. i would disconnect once full and then recharge later like a phone. the laptop's hp care software says battery is in good condition.

How much backup in hours did you get towards the end compared with at the beginning ? was there a noticeable drop in backup time when off the charger

did not really keep track of that, but basically this issue of discharge while storing has been there from the beginning. hp says its normal.

not much, 8-10 hours at a time once a month or so i would say on average. i would disconnect once full and then recharge later like a phone. the laptop's hp care software says battery is in good condition.
Why don't you generate a battery report

In Windows 10

Open an admin command prompt an type

Code:
 powercfg /batteryreport

html file will be stored in C:\Windows\System32 as battery-report

Check that or attach here

Back