Graphic Cards Major Problem with XFX 8800GTX

joy1

Adept
Hello guys,

My PC config is E6750 (2.6Ghz at the moment) | XFX 650i Ultra | OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 | XFX 8800 GTX XXX Edition | Corsair HX620 PSU | Antec 900 | Dell SP2208WFP 22" LCD| Thermalright 120 Ultra |

My GPU , CPU and Motherboard were all bought together in Aug 07 from Nehru Place , so the 3 yr warranty is over for all of them. The GPU alone costed me 35k back then. :(

Today morning suddenly I suffered a Nvidia driver crash while playing a game , these were happening for the last 2-3 days , but the Win 7 64bit OS used to recover the driver and everything used to work fine after that.

I decided to upgrade my driver from 260.89 to latest 266.58 whql drivers , but things totally got bad after that , I have yellow lines all over my screen and wired text even on the booting screen , now whenever I try to login to windows via normal mode it won't load up the OS , but if I try safe mode it logs in.

So I decided to remove the Nvidia display drivers and now I'm able to get into OS via normal mode , but whenever I again try to install the Nvidia drivers I get the same issue.So without driver my card is not getting detected properly as well in OS.

Everything was working fine till morning when suddenly that happened , I have no clue if something is wrong with the Graphics Card or the Motherboard or the PCI

Express 16x slot.

Both my Motherboard and Graphics Card were bought from Rashi Peripherals , do they repair any of these after warranty period is over , I have already RMA's my motherboard twice before from them.

This is how my display is currently on PC , its not a problem with the monitor as I also have a PS3 , and there is no display problems when using it.

My current Rivatuner hardware monitoring is showing these clock speeds and temps.

Kindly if anyone has any idea what exactly is going on and can guide to a solution.

Thanks,

Joy :)

Re: Pl. Help !! Major Problem. XFX 8800GTX

I had this kind of a similar situation with a GTS250 .
I sent it to the rma centre they told me it was an issue of the vram.

Hmm. so is there any hope of repairing the Graphics Card now that the warranty period is over by 5 months ?

You mentioned XFX in your post. Any attempt to get a replacement/repair will result in FAIL.

But seriously, try using a different GPU and see if the problem disappears or not. While you're at it, try using your GPU in another computer if possible.

bhaskarvyas001 said:
no way dood!!

just get another card..

I had the same issue.. check out this thread which I opened for same.. http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/8800-gtx-display-corrupt-help-179146.html

I check with almost all the shops in Nehru place.. all said no.. :-(
Damn just saw ur thread , yeap I have exact same issue , junk characters on the bios screen and vertical lines in Windows. So my card is kaput.

Why do these things happen only after warranty period is over , it hurts so bad losing a investing of 35k , spent 3.5 years ago. :(

Is a Ati 5770 a good replacement ? , I don't wanna spend too much on a GPU , as I have a PS3 for my basic gaming needs.

From this learn a lesson....dont buy tooo high end card or dont keep gfx cards for too long keep upgrading....:p

There were few cases where people actually baked thier GPUs and it used to work flawlessly after that ... lemme look em up for ya

joy1 said:
Hmm. so is there any hope of repairing the Graphics Card now that the warranty period is over by 5 months ?
If all fails, try baking the card(google for more info)

If the card is gone anyways, why not try for one last heartbeat? For many, it worked for many months with the baking trick.

comp@ddict said:
If all fails, try baking the card(google for more info)

If the card is gone anyways, why not try for one last heartbeat? For many, it worked for many months with the baking trick.
Try this you won't regret, if it works then you are happy, if not get a new one. But i must say that 8800 are great cards

Go to Rashi to get it repaired. A 35K GFX will surely attract some attention from their side.

If not, try reflowing the entire graphics card with a hot air gun for 10mins each front side and back side after removing the HSF, cleaning the thermal paste and removing all the plastic-paper parts.

If this does not help try baking the naked PCB for 10 mins @ 250C (USE AN OVEN AND NOT MICROWAVE). But beware you'll be making your oven toxic.

If even this does not help your graphics card is done for, just keep on pestering XFX customer care ;) .

What does this baking thing does to a gfx card? :S

For eg: if we kept it in a hot oven even for 5-10mins, wont its small delicate ICs or capacitors burst owing to the heat factor?? Correct me if i'm wrong but i find this method pretty insane and disrespectful for a peripheral. :ashamed:

It may have worked but the logic doesnt seem to be reasonable though.

BTW there are common display corrupt issues with 8800gt* series.

Read on:

8800gtx display issue - NVIDIA Forums

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?33585-Help!-8800GTX-display-corruption

8800 GTX Display Corruption - Overclockers Forums

Baking did work

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f78/bake-your-video-card-back-life-208533/

The card atlest was still working with random lines on screen for 12hrs after that happened on OS graphics drivers even I made this thread during that period, but it completely died the next day, pc won't even boot , sometimes it would randomly boot and get to the XFX logo screen and then freeze.

I'm currently browsing net from my PS3's browser.

So went ahead and did the baking in oven procedure after seeing a lot of guides & videos , applied thermal paste and put the card back.

First few it didn't boot , but like earlier it did boot once after a lot of reset , got to the XFX screen and then BIOS and it freezed. But one thing was different from last time , no longer there were any junk characters and vertical lines on the screen.

I almost jumped with joy , but alas it lasted only 10 sec.

joy1 said:
The card atlest was still working with random lines on screen for 12hrs after that happened on OS graphics drivers even I made this thread during that period, but it completely died the next day, pc won't even boot , sometimes it would randomly boot and get to the XFX logo screen and then freeze.

I'm currently browsing net from my PS3's browser.

So went ahead and did the baking in oven procedure after seeing a lot of guides & videos , applied thermal paste and put the card back.

First few it didn't boot , but like earlier it did boot once after a lot of reset , got to the XFX screen and then BIOS and it freezed. But one thing was different from last time , no longer there were any junk characters and vertical lines on the screen.

I almost jumped with joy , but alas it lasted only 10 sec.
Try cleaning the card and apply a fresh layer of tim and re-seat the heat sink. And also check for any physical daage.

Baking gonna work forsure go for it .. a friend had the same with an EVGA card and he got it back to life after baking ... did last for abt 3-4 months which gave him quite the time to collect funds for a replacement :)

I received my new 9800GT, but still same problem , pc is sometimes booting up and freezing after a while.

Once it worked for good 5-10 min , was installing nvidia drivers when it freezed.I'm suspecting its a Ram or a Mobo issue , and my earlier card 8800GTX is I guess perfectly fine.

Going to take the cabinet to a computer repair shop to check what's causing this , don't have spare Ram to test it myself.

RAM can be checked for faults using the memtest utility. I doubt that motherboard - the 650i ultra had a massive failure rate when it was launched. A cheaper replacement (just in case the culprit is the board) would be the Gigabyte G31-ES2L. Costs ~2k and thereabouts.

Yeah 650i Ultra has been a pain in the ass , I have already RMA it twice before since purchase. Wish I had spent another 4k more that time and got the 680i sli instead which was 10k in 07.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Before going to the computer repair shop I decided to fire up the PC one more time to check , its booted up and I'm typing this from my PC now. WTF , The driver I was installing earlier had installed , only Physx driver were left midway when it freezed , my new card is getting detected as well in GPUZ and Riva Tuner. Uploaded this GPUZ image from PC.

This definitely is a Ram problem looks like , its been more than 10 mins now , no freeze yet.

Feels so great typing from a keyboard after using a PS3 controller for more than a week. :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Checked Ram , its ok. Now it has completely stopped booting , looks like for the third time now mobo has become faulty. :(

Back