Mandatory Keyloggers in Mumbai's Cyber Cafes

lokeshv

Disciple
checked it on net..

sorry if it has been already posted..MOds feel free to delete.

"Indian journalist Amit Varma reports that Mumbai's police are requiring the city's 500 Internet cafes to install keystroke loggers, which will capture every keystroke by users and turn that information over to the government — nearly in realtime by the sound of it. Buy things online, and the underpaid Indian police will have your credit card number. 'Will these end up getting sold in a black market somewhere? Not unlikely"
India’s Cops Get Orwellian - The India Uncut Blog - India Uncut

that part where they say that since its not being installed on personal computers and only on publicly used ones and thus not infringing on privacy is great

Actually its good they made it public, as unsuspecting customers who were earlier using cybercafe's for private transactions were at a huge risk as it is, as almost 90% of them have key loggers either unknowingly or for perverse purpose, or other...

Btw who is going to check all those cyber records????

Also doesnt the govt has sense they are inviting intrusion of privacy.....???

outrageous ... and i dont think and any crime will be stopped either ...

on the side note i think looking at our beurocracy it will takes ages to install any and that too will never be checkedout.. so nothing to worry .. :p

I make it a point to never ever use a cafe other than for gaming :p. I'd not even enter my spam account's password in any of those machines.

I watch this news over TV 2-3 days after Hyderabad Blast, but at same time Mr. Vijay Mukhi, who request all Cyber Cafe owners to install it, also feel helpless if Cyber owners disable it.

He seek Mumbai Police to implement it (new way to corruption)

While its very difficult to scan the collected key logs and search for info thats actually helpful in crime prevention or investigation, Its pretty easy to apply filters and get e-mail ids, passwords, bank accounts, credit card info and these can be used for personal advantage. Its very easy for the so called law enforcement to use this info for personal advantage. With the poor state of the cyber laws in place in India, what can a victim do in such a case?

Anyways most Cyber cafes already have key loggers installed either by the owners or end users and in both cases its for malicious intents only. I have seen this for a while now.

I remember that I once had to go to a cyber cafe in Hyderabad and they had a key logger installed. Luckily the account logged in has administrator privileges, so I killed all the processes that I did not know about and then proceeded to login to my mail account.

Anything related to Bank accounts/credit cards is a definite no-no in a cyber cafe.

Aces170 said:
Software keyloggers, and they are present in most of the cyber cafe's anywhich ways. I found out the hard way....

Care to elaborate ?

If its software looger then maybe this can help. All you need is a USB capable machine.

A hardware logger is another story, OS independent, are usually quite small and placed inside the keyboard, tho this might have changed recently and its lot easier to install but then also easier to spot ;)

What's interesting is that only mumbai seems to fall under this rule, or is it the case that once established it automatically gets applied nationwide.

Errr, maybe i missed something,

Start => Programs => Accessories => Accessibility => Onscreen Keyboard
Java K/B's
Thats one way. Another is to type this
sadjhfgsahdjtghrtashsfdjhsahdjfgksagdfkjhsagfdjhsagf
copy paste the words/letters, and to make it less obvious type a letter ~ ~

But i dont think installing keyloggers does anything ...
I guess Mumbai police is just working on spreading the "fear" out, "if you TeRrO's are gonna use the CC, be prepared,we CoUlD bE watching you".
Im sure those guys feel the shiver runnin up their spine when M P issued the statement.

M P => Man these terro's are making a fool outta us, they just walk into the CC and send emails

M P2 => lets make all CC's Keep track of em askin em to log in, that otta scare them

M P => good idea

M P2 => Oh boy, that didnt work, in a country which has 1+ billion people its hard...

M P => Lets install keyloggers im sure we can do it now! <Hell, we gotta DO Something to show them we are using our heads>
A better system would be a 2 sec (or a sec) screenshot takin application... (i dont know the whole conversion of frame rates and all that so dont flame me)

Man how do i edit these posts ...
Hmmm, till date, no matter how desperately i needed to use the internet, i have never gone to a public place, and entered my bank details (i have a dopod for those instances) ... P/w for email accounts i hardly care, they can steal my account and send shit out on my behalf. Most of my other email dependent accounts are never used anyways ~ ~

Back