MBA Calling: SIMC Pune.. Your opinion people.

gauz88

Disciple
Guys i need some serious help out here.

I am doing my graduation right now. B COM to be precise.would be giving my exams in march.

I gave my snap test and was shortlisted by SIMC (Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication) for the GD PI process scheduled in pune this weekend.I have applied for MBA in Advertising and may be specialize in market research or client servicing.

We have to prepare certain 'home' assignments which are to be submitted at the institute during the course of the gd/pi.One of those assignments was to interview people from the media - people into advertising/marketing etc...

I managed to get hold of people in ad agencies like Ogilvy, Madison and other corporate houses too and they first of all don't recommend specialization in advertising because they say it has a very narrow scope.. in their words "This field has no Grey areas.. either you are good or bad" and secondly they say its not rewarding either.. i mean i will have to shell out arnd 8 lacs as the course fees for 2 years if i i decide to join the institute.. they say you cant set yourself a time frame to recover the money. 1-2-3 years .. you don't know.. they say the start is slow

also they recommend going in for an MBA in marketing rather than advertising.Neither do they recommend doing this course from SIMC.. they say go for MICA.. i had other exams during the time CAT was held so din give cat.. nor could i appear for GMAT which would have got me chance to apply in mica.
So in short, i only appeared for snap this year and was shortlisted in this particular institute.If in case i drop this plan to do an MBA(in advertising) this year.. ill be trying next year only.

The course curriculum modules mentioned on the institute's site read

Advertising: Advertising Management; Strategy & Production; Media Planning & Buying; Account Planning; Creative Planning & Strategy; Advertising Research.

What do you guys think i should be doing now? register for this course?
Do you guys feel this course is not worth the money or may be has lesser scope?
i would anyways be going for the Gd/pi but i decided to start the thread now coz in case i am selected there then i wont have the time to think abt these things coz my b com exams are going to be just around the corner.

Please share your thoughts guys... i am left with no one who could guide me.

Dude, what a diversion from B.COM to Advtg? I mean think about it and I mean really think about it. Cause people who do BMS AND BMM get a good upper hand but you are in B.Com. Well I don't want to discourage you, anything is possible if you put your 100% efforts. Symbi is a good and reputed college so getting admission there is a good thing, so I would say go for it if you don't have any other option.

Goodluck.

This is a very subjective query. My 2 cents, are you really interested in advertising /marketing? Or just want to do an MBA for the sake of package/MBA tag?

If you are really interested and are serious about it, IMO you should prepare properly this year and give the exams again. MICA is the best college in this field, and it does make sense to try for the best at least once.

You wont find out till you try. Anyway, after proper preparation, even next year you should be able to do much better or equally well in SNAP again if you like.

Think over it.

Back