MDR-V6 Vs. SR-60?

Kumar

Skilled
The sony MDR V6 or the Grado SR-60? Both cost somewhat similar and both are legendary in their own respect.

So, which one to go for?

MDR V6 is boomy rubbish. Get the SR60 especially if you listen to rock.

Edit: Just in case you can, spend the extra 30$ and get the Alessandro MS1 which based on an SR60 has tweaked response and drivers which avoids the occasional peakiness in the sr60. Sounds a lot smoother and nicer for long listening sessions.

According to this thread, the Alessandros need amping which pushes the total price to >200$ which I can't afford. I think the Sr-60 are the best option for me...

or should i consider the SR-80s and the senny HD-280 too?

The only thing bothering me is the apparent subdued bass on the SR60s...

Not really... infact the alessandro is easier to drive than the sr60 since it has higher sensitivity(100dB/mW vs 98db/mW). Both the grado and alessandro are 32 ohm.

^^My xps drives an HD650 so MS1 won't be an issue at all. For that portable though... can't really tell cos I've never used it.

Thanks Sayan, chaos and BF1983! I was researching the available options so that by the time i get there, i will be able to order the cans along with a lappy.

Also, what about the senny 280 and the SR80?
EDIT:

WOW! That FiiO is the best VFM thing to have happened in the audiosphere!

Consider SR80 over the SR60 anyday. Bass extension much better. SR60 = crap low end. MS1's bass supposed to be marginally better, but with the SR60 the lack is noticeable, even if you aren't a bass head (like me)

You people have confused me (in a +ve way ofcourse!)

Now here is the deal...

Budget : 110$ (MAX)
User type: NOT an audiophile but do like good quality music...
According to Amazon pricing, theese are the options:

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones: Electronics
Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 440 Premium Headphones: Electronics
Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphones: Electronics
Amazon.com: SR80: Electronics
Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DTX 900 Trendline Headphones: Electronics

Any more additions? Which one to choose from (I replaced the SR60s with the SR80 due the the enhanced low frequency response of the later)

I am leaning towards closed phones. As for the music, i listen to all types of music...but most of the time it is classic rock (eagles would be a very good example) and indian music aswell.

EDIT. The prices are as follows

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones: Electronics : 104$
Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 440 Premium Headphones: Electronics : 106$
Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD-280 Professional Headphones: Electronics : 88$
Amazon.com: SR80: Electronics : 92$
Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DTX 900 Trendline Headphones: Electronics : 100$

If you want closed-ear headphones, then check out the ATH-A500/A700.

AFAIK, the AudioTechnica ATH-A series > ATH-AD ones.

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro is ok for a closed can, except that when I was checking into it last year I came across a lot of reports saying the build quality had deteriorated to the point where the headbands were cracking easily. If you have access to warranty, it may not be too much of a worry.

Try the A700. Sure they're closed if my A900 are any indication they do compare with a lot of open cans in terms of SQ and SS (soundstage).

^^Chaos - no amping needed. IPod nano, Touch, X-Fi, Realtek :p all drive them adequately. Amping required for the AD2000 and W series. but those are beyond this budget.

Bass - AT "A" series - closed. AD - open type.

^^ Seconded ! The A700 and even the A900 to some extent sound great without the need of a dedicated amp.

Adding an amp wont hurt of course, but they are easy enough to drive without one.

Back