Mechanical keyboard purchase help | Is Zebtronics Zeb Max Pro any good?

Anyone have any experience with Gamdias products, specifically the Hermes E1?

This seems like a very good option. Only issue is it is not listed on amazon. Buying from anywhere is something I won't do these days.

had suggested Zebronics Max Plus to friend as cheap option in mech kb.
after about 2 yrs of use some of the led's on kb seem to be not working.
otherwise kb seems to be working fine even after a coffee spill & shit loads of dust :p

IMG_20200915_093733.jpg
IMG_20200915_094531.jpg
IMG_20200915_095241.jpg
IMG_20200915_095441.jpg
IMG_20200915_101835.jpg
IMG_20200915_101848.jpg
IMG_20200915_101858.jpg
IMG_20200915_103340.jpg
IMG_20200915_103405.jpg
IMG_20200915_103507.jpg
IMG_20200915_103515.jpg

Got this for 3k from Amazon. It has chinese knockoff "Blue" switches and I am wondering what/why the hell was I using membrane keyboards for 15 years!?!? Even this cheap vfm mechanical is sooo much better than membrane. Difference is day and night :) Typing (probably gaming) is a pleasure on this.

I bought a membrane keyboard (Lenovo chiclet keyboard/mouse combo) to replace the STUPID cosmic byte keyboard. The keys are don't require much pressure to activate and are light, I really like it.

I sent Cosmic Byte like 7 emails with video proof of the issue and waited two weeks only to be asked to mail the keyboard at my expense.

Ugh. With all due respect, F that.

I'm not sure about the experiences others may have had with the brand, but I won't buy Cosmic Byte keyboards again, nor would I recommend them.

@Rockfella thanks for sharing! I'll remember to bug you when my new keyboard breaks so I can get a mechanical too!

I got this for 99 rupees more.

XuZZj0D.jpg

UTSePpj.jpg

It comes with Kailh Box white switches which are way way way superior compared to Cherry MX blues, let alone Outemu/other clones. This keyboard has its flaws but it provides a vastly better typing experience.

This is not the usual TVS Gold which comes with Kailh blues - this is the TVS Gold Pro : https://www.amazon.in/Generic-TVS-Gold-Pro-Keyboard/dp/B08B5WTS4Z/
AFAIK Cherry MX is the gold standard of mechanical switches. Rest all are inspired from MX. Please clarify how the kailh are way way way superior than the MX blues? :)

Last edited:
AFAIK Cherry MX is the gold standard of mechanical switches.
This is a very common misconception. Yes Cherry were one of the firsts but they are in no way even close to being the gold standard. Almost all other brands are better in one way or other than Cherry.
Rest all are inspired from MX.
True. But box whites are a ground up design and have nothing in common with standard MX switches except for the pin layout and the cross stem.

Please clarify how the kailh are way way way superior than the MX blues?

Cherry switches are scratchy as hell. Press a box white switch, then go back to a Cherry MX blue, it feels like the Cherry switch is full of sand, feels rough and makes a scratchy sound all the way through. Even lubing the Cherry switches does not get rid of the scratchiness.

MX Blues have a Click jacket to produce the click sound when pressing a key. This feels mushy and scratchy, as well as sounding similar. The Box White instead has a click bar which gives a very distinct and crisp click on the downstroke and upstroke.

FWIW, I used to think just like you - CHerry switches are the best and nothing is better. I then paid 1000rs for 10 each of Kailh box white and red from meckeys, used them and then found out how much better they actually are. Ofcourse when I found out a keyboard exists with the Box whites, I did not hesitate to purchase it.

This is a very common misconception. Yes Cherry were one of the firsts but they are in no way even close to being the gold standard. Almost all other brands are better in one way or other than Cherry.

True. But box whites are a ground up design and have nothing in common with standard MX switches except for the pin layout and the cross stem.

Cherry switches are scratchy as hell. Press a box white switch, then go back to a Cherry MX blue, it feels like the Cherry switch is full of sand, feels rough and makes a scratchy sound all the way through. Even lubing the Cherry switches does not get rid of the scratchiness.

MX Blues have a Click jacket to produce the click sound when pressing a key. This feels mushy and scratchy, as well as sounding similar. The Box White instead has a click bar which gives a very distinct and crisp click on the downstroke and upstroke.

FWIW, I used to think just like you - CHerry switches are the best and nothing is better. I then paid 1000rs for 10 each of Kailh box white and red from meckeys, used them and then found out how much better they actually are. Ofcourse when I found out a keyboard exists with the Box whites, I did not hesitate to purchase it.
Thanks. You've saved a lot of my time too.

AFAIK Cherry MX is the gold standard of mechanical switches. Rest all are inspired from MX. Please clarify how the kailh are way way way superior than the MX blues?

As someone who has used keyboards with Gateron, Kailh and Cherry MX switches I have to agree there's no difference in quality amongst them these days, in the end it's a matter of personal preference and I too preferred my Gateron reds and low profile Kailh blue switches over their Cherry MX equivalents.
Yes the other two have a negative rep for being copies but those clones have good QC and will outlast the keyboards you'll be using them on IMO.
Some of these clone manufacturers have also ended up innovating and provide a variety of other switches that Cherry MX never did, there are a ton of other manufacturers in the market too which are highly popular in the DIY scene, you can head over to r/mechanicalkeyboards for more info if you can tolerate the snobbery.

Kailh is by no means an inferior choice, its parent company is Kaihua and they also make switches for heavy machinery, industrial equipment, cars, etc

Stumbled on this thread while searching for mechanical keyboards. My 5 year old Meka G1 has problems with 2 keys which i need a lot, mainly for excel work and gaming. I have already ordered contact cleaner. I took the keys off and cleaned them up, but that has not helped. Any ideas?

Stumbled on this thread while searching for mechanical keyboards. My 5 year old Meka G1 has problems with 2 keys which i need a lot, mainly for excel work and gaming. I have already ordered contact cleaner. I took the keys off and cleaned them up, but that has not helped. Any ideas?

You can resolder new switches on there. Or transplant unused ones like Insert and Scroll Lock there. That's the only permanent solution really.

I second this notion. I have a custom keyboard with Kailh BOX Jades and the click is very, very satisfying. Much more than MX Blues could ever be.

However, I would recommend BOX Whites because Jade is extremely heavy (and Navy even more so).

had suggested Zebronics Max Plus to friend as cheap option in mech kb.
after about 2 yrs of use some of the led's on kb seem to be not working.
otherwise kb seems to be working fine even after a coffee spill & shit loads of dust :p
my friend seems to be having issues with this kb now.
a number of keys in left section like L shift, L ctrl, L alt, L win seems to be non functional now jus after warranty ended.

Which keys and what problems?
Took it apart and used some contact cleaner. The down right key got fixed after using that, but the down button is not working. When I took it apart, i could see that there is no solder on one of the legs. Very funny, because all the other keys seem to be well soldered. Have ordered a basic soldering kit and will work on it tomorrow.
Post automatically merged:

Bought a basic soldering kit from amazon. Happy to report that after a couple of tries I was able to get it right. The keyboard is now working perfectly.:D

Last edited:
Back