PC Peripherals Mechanical keyboards

nukeu666

Skilled
My keyboard is falling apart so its time for a new keyboard

It will mostly be used for gaming so I think black or brown switches will fit the requirements

Any choices other than black widow available locally?

Prefer clean keyboard rather than a dozen programmable keys and shenanigans...back light is an advantage though and not too loud

Any model I should look at on newegg or us stores?

Gannu said:
Any specific reason not to choose the TVS-E Gold keyboard?
Yeah, even I was wondering about that.

PS: Typed with a spanking new TVS-E Gold Bharat Edition (lol). Chose the Ps2 model over usb for the n-key rollover. Cost 1450/-

ronnie_gogs said:
Its a good mechanical keyboard :)
Yep, I remember doing post mortem of mine years old keyboard, and it still used to work great. Sound! though I like while typing; is irritating for others.

Gannu said:
Yep, built like a tank and would last you a lifetime. The tactile response of the mechanical keys being the other reason.
Have you used one???? It doesnt last more than a year or two in the hands of an active user/gamer. ASDF keys fail the first. Ofcourse if you are the DIY type then one can repair/change the keys or the spring.

thebanik said:
Have you used one???? It doesnt last more than a year or two in the hands of an active user/gamer. ASDF keys fail the first. Ofcourse if you are the DIY type then one can repair/change the keys or the spring.
Used one for almost 4 years before I switched to a USB multimedia keyboard. Had absolutely no issues with it and still works for the home PC. And I've been into the gaming scene for quite sometime now.

When I meant built like a tank, I meant it will bear the usual wear and tear from a normal gamer's POV. I am not sure if an 'active gamer' would do anything else to it.

@Anil: Yep you must have noticed this keyboard at those railway reservation counters. Buy one and experience it. If you aren't impressed, I'll take that gladly. Missing my TVS-E. :p

^Why NOT PS/2? :) Other than hot-plugging what difference could the USB keyboard make?

Sorry for the OT nukey. :ashamed:

^^

Nopes was just asking IF USB. Have no worries with PS/2..!

Ya, apologies to OP, for the major big time OT.

asingh said:
^^

Nopes was just asking IF USB. Have no worries with PS/2..!

Ya, apologies to OP, for the major big time OT.

I'll prefer a PS/2 to a USB if PnP is not a big issue. Since USB are mostly limited to a 6Key rollover in best cases. PS/2 on the other hand can provide you n-key rollover like in case of the TVS-E Gold.

Example: Ever played MK4 (Mortal Combat)? This one had a 2 player mode in which two players played simultaneously one using the asdf cluster and the other on the numpad. Any USB keyboard would miss a lot of "combos" performed however my trusty ol' TVS-E gold as well as one Samsung PleoMax (both PS/2)would flawlessly let both the parties perform all the combos simultaneously.

@Agantuk: Those were the days my friend. The original Cherry browns were used in the IBM if my memory serves me well.

TVS is good for typing but from what ive read, since it is a buckling spring type keyboard, it will have higher actuation force, non linear pressure, doubletap not possible because of hysteresis and be Loud

Which is why i am leaning towards a cherry black or brown switch keyboard

nkro is great but i doubt i would ever need more than 4kro

want to make a good choice since they they will last my next dozen upgrades

the current 3 year old pleomax is fallling apart now :p

Since USB are mostly limited to a 6Key rollover in best cases. PS/2 on the other hand can provide you n-key rollover like in case of the TVS-E Gold.

Not necessarily. Just because a keyboard is PS/2 doesn't mean it has NKRO unless it is specified explicitly. I read that in the Overclock.net thread on mechanical keyboards. And I don't reckon it's mentioned on the TVS Gold. Also, is it much different from the old version (TVS 104)? I have it, and I'm not sure if there are any changes in the ones available in the market.

TVS is good for typing but from what ive read, since it is a buckling spring type keyboard, it will have higher actuation force, non linear pressure, doubletap not possible because of hysteresis and be Loud

Hm, TVS uses buckling spring keys? I dunno about the new ones, but I have a very old one (don't know how old, I got it second hand in 2005 from an office, so it's at least 6 years old). Just yesterday night I performed a thorough clean (even the keys by prying them out) and it has Cherry MX Blue switches.

Now back to the topic at hand, there aren't any other keyboards I'm aware of. I'm in the hunt for a brand new keyboard myself. You know, there is the Razer Cyclosa Keyboard+Mouse combo (toned down versions of the Black Widow and a the Abyssus (lower DPI, 1800 instead of 3500). Costs around 2000 to 2500, don't remember exactly. Though, if you're considering the Black Widow, I don't suppose you'd be interested in the combo.

Are these the keyboards which contain small cube magnets in the buttons..
i used to play with these magnets when i was a kid..

Back