Meego is dead, even if the N9 is a hit

RS4

Skilled
RvXbr.jpg

As expected,Nokia CEO Stephen Elop has made it clear that Meego is dead and windows phone 7 is the only future.

Sources: Nokia's Stephen Elop is still over MeeGo, even if the N9 is a hit -- Engadget

Helsingin Sanomat - Nokia CEO Stephen Elop rules out possible comeback of MeeGo

That's quite a bold title you put up there. I believe you know that Nokia doesn't steer the working of Meego OS ? Do you ? Nor does it frame its future.

Meego is a project of Linux Foundation and backed up by the Semicounductor giant Intel. Add to that Meego was never meant to be the mobile phone OS to begin with, it was tailor made for netbooks and other devices powered by Intel Atom.

With Atom hitting smartphone arena it was quite obvious Intel will push Meego into the same field. Nokia was only involved in designing and implementing it, going by Intel statement, Nokia never actually bothered developing Meego all they did is left couple of developers for working with meego. So as far as Intel is in the picture, meego development will be alright :p

^^meego may be used in netbooks,cars and other electronic devices but it is clearly dead in the phones department, The N9 was receiving very postive reviews by everyone and there was no problem even in the apps department due to alien dalvik and Qt but still Elop was hell bent on killing it,eventhough they have the capability to release 1-2 meego handsets every year,they are trying to kill it even before giving it a chance just to satsify M$,Hope you are getting the point now :)

^^ The point is that Nokia doesn't control Meego's future and for me Nokia lost its entire credibility as a software (OS) developer the moment they went crazy and gave up on a great Mobile OS like Symbian. Rather than running their mouth, they would better stick to hardware development because that the only thing they excel in over all other manufacturer and I hope their insanity is not so bad has to change that as well.

btw speaking of hardware, recently my company relocated to a new campus and we have weak cell phone signal for most of the popular providers and people are having trouble using the phones inside office.

- None of the iPhone's (All generations) working at all. Zero signal

- Most Moto phones that I saw where not working. Some are barely working at specific locations only.

- Most samsung phones not working. Some like my Galaxy S are barely working. I can place a call, but the call gets cut if I make any sudden movements.

- Most Nokia's working, but prone to calls getting cut at specific locations while walking.

Err...Nokia has a meego based phone (harmattan)

And supposedly intel has also developed meego protos based on medfield. :)

Even if nokia doesnt support meego, lg,zte,huawei,china mobile,acer,asus ... are developing meego protos.

Ok lets clear things up a bit , that interview of Elop's is being misquoted. Nokia WILL have MeeGo devices in the future in one form or the other... << don't ask for more deets >>

Also... besides Nokia , Medfield based smartphones running MeeGo are expected to hit early next year. Of course you miss out on the awesome Nokia proprietary Swipe UI for Harmattan.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Ok lets clear things up a bit , that interview of Elop's is being misquoted. Nokia WILL have MeeGo devices in the future in one form or the other... << don't ask for more deets >>
Is it S40+Harmattan UI(the next billion project)? <<need more deets>>:p

I dont know what would be the future of Nokia cellphoes with WP7 OS but the future of Nokia would have been brighter if they would have shaken hands with Google... They still have a chance to retain the largest cellphone selling company title which nokia is apparently going to lose to samsung in the next quarter... if they would shake hands with google and if they would release Nokia Android phones then they would succeed in winning the lost battle... My gut feeling is that WP7 is not gonna help Nokia...

Nokia earlier mentioned going with android is a move with temporary benifit. They could have atleast raked in some huge profits at least for a year rather than doing nothing and watching other manufacturers eating into their market share. And they could have taken a HTC like approach where they could have made both WP7 and Android handsets thereby covering a larger market.

Meego/WP7/Whatever, unless nokia clears up it's own confusion and let customers know what OS strategy it's going to follow clearly, neither the developers nor custmers will be willing to invest confidently in a high end Nokia handset.

I personally don't understand what this entire love for Android is. All I see is people buying the phone with the best hardware and then shifting to a community based flavour of Android. Now, that would be pathetic for the company who develops the phone. Also, Windows 7 seems to be the future, with Mango update it will be fixing up a lot of things also bringing a lot of updates to the app developers. Windows phones have strict hardware requirements and the UI is indeed innovative thus they try to bring a smooth experience.

P.S. - I'm not saying Android is a bad OS.

Few points to note about meego:

1. MeeGo is NOT owned by Nokia. They simply develop phones using it.
  2. MeeGo was originally designed to be a phone-capable ARM and Atom platform tablet OS. And this will continue. We could see MeeGo tablets from other companies in the future.
  3. As long as it has a good community backing, which MeeGo apparently does, there will be constant software releases for both MeeGo ARM and MeeGo Atom (x86) versions.
  4. As long as MeeGo releases updates for its ARM stream, all MeeGo ARM devices capable of having their firmware updated, externally or internally, there is no fear for MeeGo owners.

So if Nokia shuts down production of MeeGo devices after N9, the phone is still a worthy buy because of its awesome hardware and the fact that MeeGo itself will be supported for a long time.

Anyway, this seems to be the Nokia strategy at the moment:

1. Add more features to S30 to make it more "sellable". For instance, Nokia X1 is a S30 phone capable of supporting a memory card and has a music player with the maximum playback time in any nokia phone.
  2. Make S40 feature phones cheaper and better since this seems to be the only platform so far in which nokia is the market leader in its segment. Nokia will continue to use S40 6th edition in its cheap sub-5k phones.
  3. Use the lowered-priced versions of their Tube-based designs (the family of the 5800 XpressMusic like 5233, 5230, etc) to keep the over-5k market in check since the dead-cheap androids from Micromax and co seem to not be good enough to threaten Nokia
  4. Use Symbian Anna as the platform for sub-20k phones. This is their mainstream range. Classic example here is N8.
  5. For their high end phones use MeeGo till Windows Mobile 7 starts shipping. Ditch MeeGo users the moment Windows Mobile 7 comes out.

Out of the above 5 points, the first two seem to be working rather well. I guess we'll soon see S30 pushed up and maybe S40 could get some multitasking in the future to cover the range under 10k.

If S40 upgrade does not happen (point 3), then Symbian Anna will come down to cheaper 7k phones to cover up the void left by the demise of older S60 9.4 based tubes. Otherwise Nokia will decide to continue with S60 9.4 based phones though this seems unlikely.

Due to the obvious fact that Symbian is a rock solid tested platform, Nokia cannot ditch it and it definitely WILL be the platform of choice in the 10k-20k range for some time to come and when hardware gets cheaper, could be pushed down to 8k-14k range (point 4).

Microsoft is not the kind of company people back out on deals from, and it looks like Nokia's high end phones WILL be Windows Phone 7 in the future. And MeeGo devices will become cheaper and IF unlocking their bootloader is possible, they would become favored modding gadgets (point 5).

Personally, here is my preferred way to replace mainstream touchscreen phones:

1. Get a decent 5-7k canon/nikon Point and Shoot. These kill any camera phone.

2. Get a Nokia X1 (price around 1.6k) for a phone. Its a phone with mp3 player like battery life.

3. Get this: Sakshat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for 3k when it launches (1.5k for college students) which beats any other tablet in cost/price.

Total cost: 10k well spent :clap:

Oh and should i say this up front... The N9 does NOT run MeeGo. Its Maemo 6 aka Harmattan and is API compatible with MeeGo. Core MeeGo by itself is *still* not ready for handset use.

dhruvrock2000 said:
Oh and should i say this up front... The N9 does NOT run MeeGo. Its Maemo 6 aka Harmattan and is API compatible with MeeGo. Core MeeGo by itself is *still* not ready for handset use.
Dhruv,you didnt answer my question, is S40(revamped with multitasking capabilities)+swipe UI the next billion project? :p

Back