MEElectronics A151: Adequate and Nice!

Introduction:

Thanks to MEElectronics for sending me A151 to review.

Shortly after my M31 review, I tried to push my luck a bit further i.e., not spending out of pocket for IEMs and asked if MEE could send me any other IEMs for review, especially the A151 and CC51. Well! it worked out well in the end and I got A151 for review.

Photos:

From Left to Right: The Package, Opened packing, IEM, IEM Housing, Accessories, Plug, Y-Split

Specification
:

Driver unit: Micro Balanced Armature

Impedance: 27 Ohm

Sensitivity: 111 dB

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 18Khz

Maximum Power Input: 30mW

Cable Length: 53"

Build Quality, Accessories

The IEM was packed in the cardboard box. Inside is the blister packing containing the IEM and accessories. The Accessories include a clamshell zipper carrying case, 3 pairs of single flange tips and a pair of bi-flange tip.

Out of the packing, A151 impressed me with it’s looks. One of the highlights of A151 is it’s nice braided cable, similar to the one that is found with SM3. The only difference I could make out on examination is that the cables are more tightly intertwined in A151. One of the great advantages of this cable is that it does not produce microphonics, whether worn straight down or over the ear.

There is a cord cinch like the one found in Fischer DBA-02. Unlike many cord cinches which slide away from the intended position, this one stays in place. Y-Split is once again similar in design to SM3, but the angle of the “Y” is narrower than SM3. The termination is in a gold plated straight (or “I”) plug. The cable has absolutely no memory and does not tangle much. Even in the rare instances it tangles, it is much easier to untangle.

The housing looks nice in a silver-black color combination. Though the housing is made of plastic, it feels thick and strong. The nozzle is angled and measures at about 4-5mm. The housings are larger, but without any sharper edges to hurt the ears.

Comfort, Isolation, Microphonics:

A151 is very comfortable to wear for longer hours. But, during my quick A/B with PL50, I found that inserting at odd angles could make the metal portion hurt the ear. This was not an issue when I didn't have to rush insertion of the IEM. But, may be due to the shape of my outer ear, I could not push them in as far as I could with straight barrel shaped IEMs. Isolation was only minimal when no music was playing, but they do provide decent to good isolation when music is played.

As mentioned above, the cable is one of the best you can find in this price range. They neither tangle nor produce any microphonics.

Sound Signature

Being a single driver BA, A151 saved me from burning it in for tens and hundreds of hours. Since there are no crossovers to ‘burn’, my impressions are made of out of the box listening and further listening sessions.

This review is written based on my impressions straight out of Rock-boxed Clip+ at various volume levels (-25 to -29) depending on the recording. I got the best fit with the stock medium single flange. I could not get a proper fit and seal with the bi-flanges.

Ever since news of MEE’s new releases came out, I was expecting A151, their first BA to be very typical – highly detailed, fast, balanced with great treble and lean bass. Since I had not read any reviews prior to completing the draft of this review, A151 defied my expectations from the word go.

In general, bass is the weak point of Balanced Armatures (though there are some notable exceptions). They are faster than dynamics with less texture, better control and shorter decay. While A151 does not deviate too much from that description, it’s bass is well textured especially compared to the likes of DBA-02. Most of the focus is on the mid-bass without a deep extension or punch. It’s bass quantity is what I’d call adequate, better than the RE0/ZERO’s of the world, but not enough to listen to EDM and related music. I’ve heard only two single driver BA IEMs so far – Phonak PFE and Microsonics Epic X. Since I don’t have both at this time, I have to compare from memory (something I hate). Epic X did not have any bass, while PFE had good bass quantity when amped. I’d speculate that A151's bass quantity falls somewhere between un-amped and amped PFE, though I cannot confirm it until I can A/B. To put it in perspective, mid-bass quantity is much better than CK10, but not as good as SM3.

Mids are the meat of A151’s presentation, especially the lower mids. When I ran a frequency sweep, the emphasis seems to be around the 500-2500Hz region, but tapers off after that. The mids are not recessed, but are not forward either. The midrange remains vastly smooth, slightly warmer in tone and well textured. It neither sounds thick nor thin, but just carries adequate body.

Treble certainly takes a backseat with the A151. It remains detailed, but like the bass lacking punch, lacks the sparkle.

Vocals are clear without any hint of sibilance due to the de-stressed upper mids and treble. Even after EQ-ing in a slight V-shape to increase bass and treble with a boost to upper mids, sibilance was not present with my regular offending tracks.

Presentation:

The Sound stage is adequate, neither narrow nor wide, somewhere in the region of RE-ZERO than CK10. Imaging and separation are good, but not great.

A151 is clearly aimed at someone expecting hours of smooth, clear, fatigue free listening. It does not spit out every detail there is, but enough to keep you interested. It can be characterized as a dark sounding, laid-back IEM without excesses.

Personally, there are several reasons I should not have liked A151 – dark sounding, not much bass, no sparkle, not too detailed, not crisp sounding, normal sound stage. But, looking back, I’ve used the word ‘adequate’ in the title to point out the fact that overall, A151 provides a much satisfactory sound overall than the sum of it’s parts.The main difference maker for me is that they are not boring over longer periods of listening as 'cold sounding' IEMs tend to be. While I won't say it is anywhere close to a giant killer, I won't deny it's a good IEM for the price.

Comparison to SoundMagic PL-50:

One of the reasons this review was incomplete was that it was devoid of comparisons. I did not want to compare A151 to other dynamics. I could have waited till I got back PFE and compared A151 against it. But, that would be unfair - I don't even expect a contest from A151 against one of my favorite BAs to date. I was looking for something within the price range as well. Thanks to haraakiri for arranging the PL-50 loaner.

While I did not get the whole pack, PL50 does not seem any lesser when it comes to accessories. For $25 less, PL50 offers a good cable terminated in a right angled L plug, though A151 looks classier. The plug housing of A151 looks beefy in comparison to the slimmer, but better strain relieved one on PL50. The build quality of the shells is much better with the A151 as PL50 seems to be made of thinner plastic. Despite that, I like two things about PL50's housing. Firstly, they are smaller as well as light-weight and hence more comfortable to wear. Second would be the color coding of the Left and Right ear pieces. While this may appear minor fact to many, it actually makes life easier for predominantly night users like me (who don't want to switch on more than the lower wattage lighting just to wear IEMs).

The thickness of note in PL50 is typical armature like - crisp and nice. A151 as mentioned in the beginning, is very unlike a typical BA - thick, textured and filled. While thickness usually results in cutting out micro-details, while on the other hand texture makes the note a bit more fuller.

While they are not hugely different in terms of bass quantity, A151 has better texture and is a bit more filled out than the shorter decaying PL50. A151 also carries a slight bit more impact. PL50, on the other hand, extends a bit more and can produce a bit of a rumble, at least a hint of it. I'd say neither of them are greatly satisfying in the bass department. The midrange of PL50 is a bit more forward, slight bit better detailed, but a tad drier in comparison. A151 sounds warm, smooth and textured and are a bit more engaging due to the smooth vocals and slightly better clarity. Secondly, lesser emphasis on upper midrange in A151 tends to show through every now and then, though on longer listening sessions I find it hardly distracting. With treble, there's absolutely no contest. PL50 is more crisper, clearer, detailed and more in balance with the rest of the spectrum even though it too does not have much sparkle.

PL50 impresses in two more departments - Sound stage of PL50 is a bit wider and deeper than that of A151. I have been constantly complaining about imaging with many sub-$100 IEMs (may be a bit too much, but I come from a $80 Panasonic HJE900 as reference). With PL50, I have no complaints. Separation is also better with PL50 than A151 with more airiness. For bands like Isis, whose music could use some wider sound stage and holographic imaging, this is definitely a positive.

So, PL50 is ahead in details, crispness, sound stage, imaging and comfort. Does that mean A151 sucks completely since it costs $25 more? I would not say so. Complex, layered music is better on PL50, while softer songs with vocals are better with A151. PL50 does not have an engaging signature overall, though it does wonderfully well in so many areas. I would put PL50 somewhere around Brainwavz M1 in terms of appeal. Since I don't have M1 for comparison, I'd place PL50 slightly ahead of M1 till such time I can get both as loaners at the same time.

In short, for someone who wants to hear a BA, I'd recommend PL50 over A151. With A151, I like it's bland, not-so-typical-armature-like sound slightly better than PL50. They are not far apart from each other in my SQ ratings, though a slight bit apart in ranking. As of this writing, I have all of my mid-tier IEMs on loan and hence consider both rankings to be in a state of flux.

Value for Money:

I find A151 to be falling somewhere around $50-60 in terms of sound. It’s good build quality, especially the cable makes it worth a $10 more at least. But, at the going price of $50, A151 has an even better price to performance ratio.

Is it for ME?

• I need bass which is punchy, deep and extremely detailed
  • I like treble / I like IEMs that are brighter in nature
  • I like lush, forward mids
  • I am an analytical listener / I love details
  • I want a larger sound stage
  • I like an euphonic / musical IEM

- Not for you

1. I like an IEM that provides good build quality with a cable that is not microphonic and not a mess every time I take it out of the case.
  2. It should be good enough for hours of fatigue free listening. I don't mind a slightly bland and laid-back sound signature, but it should not be dry.
  3. I am not keen on having emphasis on bass or treble. I don't mind if I hear less details.

- A151 suits you just fine.

Ranking in my list:

A151 ranks 22 out of 46 in my list. Tier-wise, it is bunched with IEMs like Brainwavz M3, Xears TDIII, Eterna, Silver Bullet. To put it in proper perspective, it is better than some mid-tier IEMs, but not closer to the top-tiers which start from #14 onwards + I also like many IEMs better than the A151. For the complete ranking list, check out the link in my signature.

Conclusion:

A151 provides a smooth, clear, non-fatiguing signature with a good build quality to go with it. It is not meant for those who seek "more", but would suit those who don't like "too much" of anything.

iaudio said:
Thanks a lot! Another one for me to consider,esp because build quality is good.

I'll try and send it to you once you are free. Plenty of choices for you in the $60-100 range.
BF1983 said:
Nice, but my RE1 has awesome soundstage in addition to smooth fatigue free sound. :D

Smooth and fatigue free because it does not strain itself and plays only half the spectrum :p.

Actually, I found both Epic X and RE1 to be too laid-back for my tastes. A151 is more closer to Epic X than PFE. I think Epic X would have a better midrange, because it is forward and the upper mids were not treated any differently from lower mids. But, A151 has far better bass and a bit more treble (though non-sparkling), which makes it more suitable for me than Epic X. Though they all are laid-back, A151 is non-fatiguing to my ears, while I found RE1 to be far too 'sleepy' because of heavy roll-off at both ends. I know you will still choose RE1, but then .. :p

Mids are the meat of A151’s presentation, especially the lower mids. When I ran a frequency sweep, the stress seems to be around the 500-2500Hz region, but tapers off after that. The mids are not recessed, but are not forward either. The midrange remains vastly smooth, slightly warmer in tone and well textured. It neither sounds thick nor thin, but just carries adequate body.

Well,

How Do You Do a Frequency Sweep ? And How Do you See The Stress there

^ There are frequency sweep files available from various test CDs and sites like the ones from Burn-in wave. I personally use the files from Focal Audio Demo Disc #2, because it has both single frequency files (20, 25, 31, 40, 50, 63.....10Khz, 12Khz, 16Khz, 20Khz) and the partial frequency range files (20-160Hz.... 10-20Khz). The variation is relative and can be easily found.

esanthosh said:
^ There are frequency sweep files available from various test CDs and sites like the ones from Burn-in wave. I personally use the files from Focal Audio Demo Disc #2, because it has both single frequency files (20, 25, 31, 40, 50, 63.....10Khz, 12Khz, 16Khz, 20Khz) and the partial frequency range files (20-160Hz.... 10-20Khz). The variation is relative and can be easily found.

Well,

Got That ,Can You Provide Links Of Some Of The Websites And CD You Are Talking About .

Nice review Santhosh! I must say I do agree with parts of your review whole heartedly. Amongst all the IEMs I own, I keep going back to these when I want to get some serious listening done due to their non-fatiguing nature. Being the first pair of BA IEMs I own, I really like these a lot and I think for the given price, MEE has done an absolutely fantastic job with these. I have heard they were/are considering an upgrade to these and I will be looking out for 'em.

The cable is absolutely delightful and for the current price, I don't think there are any better earphones in the given price range should you not be a basshead.

Now that I finally have my TF10s, I obviously use them a lot more over my A151s, but for long term listening and A/B testing, I still take them out from time to time and enjoy them as much as I did when I just got my pair sometime in Feb.

Glad you like it as much as I do. It is not a typical BA sound, which is what I like most about it :)

No question about the cable. I don't think I've seen better cables in the price range. Would be getting another BA for comparison sometime next week. Will update the review after that.

Well! I have not spent money on IEM for a month now. I am trying to cross this month "spend-free" again. But my hands are already trembling and they might hit the order button on some site any day :ashamed:

Hello Santosh ,

This Is a Very Good Review .I Have Grilled The Entire Review And dissected It One By One Like a Doctor In The Lab :p .With One Question After The Other .Might Be Others Could Benefit From This And Might Be Some Doubts Would Be Cleared .

Build Quality, Accessories

The only difference I could make out on examination is that the cables are more tightly intertwined in A151.
Well More Of Intertwined Sections Help Better Sound Also .Just Like The CAT6 and CAT5e Cables .There Is A Great Influence Of Capacitance And Inductance To Cables That Go Parallel .

The housings are larger, but without any sharper edges to hurt the ears.
Would Be Interesting To See How People With Small Ears Take This :p .I Like This Design Also Thier Great Bass IEM The RX11 Is Like This Somewhat .the Link Is Here - > RX11 .

Comfort, Isolation, Microphonics:

A151 is very comfortable to wear for longer hours. But, may be due to the shape of my outer ear, I could not push them in as far as I could with straight barrel shaped IEMs. Isolation was only minimal when no music was playing, but they do provide decent to good isolation when music is played.
Well Said As It Will Not Go Deep In The Ears It would definately be a winner as then anyone can listen to this with ease .Great i love IEMS that are light and are very comfy .though i doubt they are light Then The Once i Love .

Sound Signature

This review is written based on my impressions straight out of Rock-boxed Clip+ at various volume levels (-25 to -29) depending on the recording. I got the best fit with the stock medium single flange. I could not get a proper fit and seal with the bi-flanges
Well How did you get the Db level .I have never tried rockbox firmware .Does it show you the db levels in the menu or somewhere .Well i have never seen a Better Bi-Flanges Then The Meelectronic Once As i Have 4 Models Of The Same Brand for My Testing .These Bi-flanges Are Very soft to the ears unlike the headdirect once that are manly :p .

In general, bass is the weak point of Balanced Armatures (though there are some notable exceptions). They are faster than dynamics with less texture, better control and shorter decay. While A151 does not deviate too much from that description, it’s bass is well textured especially compared to the likes of DBA-02. Most of the focus is on the mid-bass without a deep extension or punch. It’s bass quantity is what I’d call adequate, better than the RE0/ZERO’s of the world, but not enough to listen to EDM and related music. I’ve heard only two single driver BA IEMs so far – Phonak PFE and Microsonics Epic X. Since I don’t have both at this time, I have to compare from memory (something I hate). Epic X did not have any bass, while PFE had good bass quantity when amped. I’d speculate that A151's bass quantity falls somewhere between un-amped and amped PFE, though I cannot confirm it until I can A/B. To put it in perspective, mid-bass quantity is much better than CK10, but not as good as SM3.
Well Did You Try a Amp With These ? .What Was The Impressions Then .Can You Try a Amp And Get Back On This .It Would Be Great If The Amp Had Gain Control And you Could Use Low Gain So That You Take Full advantage of a BA Driver :eek:hyeah:

Mids are the meat of A151’s presentation, especially the lower mids. When I ran a frequency sweep, the emphasis seems to be around the 500-2500Hz region, but tapers off after that. The mids are not recessed, but are not forward either. The midrange remains vastly smooth, slightly warmer in tone and well textured. It neither sounds thick nor thin, but just carries adequate body.
Treble certainly takes a backseat with the A151. It remains detailed, but like the bass lacking punch, lacks the sparkle.
Vocals are clear without any hint of sibilance due to the de-stressed upper mids and treble. Even after EQ-ing in a slight V-shape to increase bass and treble with a boost to upper mids, sibilance was not present with my regular offending tracks.

Santosh According To Me Mids Are All About Vocals .When You People Review IEMS And Talk About Mids ,Treble And Vocals Seperately i Do Not Get This .If Mids Are Great Meat Why Does The Treble Take a Backstage And How Does Vocals Not Take a Backstage [ Confused ] :no: .

Presentation:

The Sound stage is adequate, neither narrow nor wide, somewhere in the region of RE-ZERO than CK10. Imaging and separation are good with airiness, but not great.
Well I Have Never Heard The CK10 .The RE-ZERO I Sell But i still Find The RE-0 More To My Taste .Imaging And Seperation Are Always a Plus Point With BA Based Drivers .As This is The First Attempt Of Mee With a BA I Would Not Be Surprised If They Come Up With More BA In The near future .

It can be characterized as a dark sounding, laid-back IEM without excesses.
Well Define Dark Sounding And Cold Sounding IEMS In Your Way Please Once .When You Said That The Bass Was OK .The Mids Were Meat :p .You Were Also Not Too Unhappy About The Treble And Vocals "Why To You Term It Laid Back ? .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

laemo said:
Nice review Santhosh! I must say I do agree with parts of your review whole heartedly. Amongst all the IEMs I own, I keep going back to these when I want to get some serious listening done due to their non-fatiguing nature. Being the first pair of BA IEMs I own, I really like these a lot and I think for the given price, MEE has done an absolutely fantastic job with these. I have heard they were/are considering an upgrade to these and I will be looking out for 'em.

The cable is absolutely delightful and for the current price, I don't think there are any better earphones in the given price range should you not be a basshead.

Now that I finally have my TF10s, I obviously use them a lot more over my A151s, but for long term listening and A/B testing, I still take them out from time to time and enjoy them as much as I did when I just got my pair sometime in Feb.
Well,

I Too have the tf10 ,But i cannot use them in all songs .If the source files are leeched off the net and the tf10 is put the task ,It sounds horrible .To listen to audio like this i have to lower my iem quality .Thats the time when i Pull Out My Trusted Audio Gear and Play That Same Song Off Those IEMS ..The TF10 Demands Quality In Wource And The Files Being Played Period

^ Errr... Since when did you start reviewing other people's reviews? :p

1) I don't know much about Capacitance, Resistance of cables and how they affect sound. More intertwining simply means that the gap between two cross-over of the inter-twined cables is shorter (say more knots) than SM3. I don't necessarily think it affects sound or makes a huge difference to sturdiness of the cable overall. Just thought it was interesting to be mentioned. On the top is SM3 cable and on the bottom is the A151 cable.

2) A151 is meant for over the ear wearing, but it can also be worn straight down. As mentioned the nozzle is a bit longer. People who can only fit in Klipsch S4 could find it a bit larger. May be someone with smaller ears should try this. A151 on the left and S4 on the right

3) They are made of plastic, so they won't weigh as heavily as metal ones. That's the only thing I can say. I don't know what are the ones you love. So cannot comment any further.

4) Rockbox does show the volume in "dB". Zero is the highest volume at which the source is capable of producing sound without distortion. Lowest is -88dB and you can also increase the volume by 6 more dB after zero. But, the source could produce distortions.

5) I generally don't try IEMs that are comfortably driven by Clip+ with amps. But, my arrow should be able to derive some more bass from this. laemo has the same setup, so may be he too can chip in.

6) See the chart here for reference. Vocals can go from bass region to treble region. Mids have the main range of vocals, but sibilance range - "sss", "fff" - can be anywhere between 4-9 Khz, mostly around the 7-8 Khz mark. But, it's not that simple. Each vocal is unique and may have a slight different sibilance range.

Secondly, it is not entirely about frequency response. An IEM can have a very good FR graph and still sound odd / out of place / unnatural. The way it produces vocals is important for many people. So, I usually cover vocals separately from mids and treble.

7) Simply,

Dark - Not too much Upper midrange / Treble emphasis. More emphasis on the lower end of the frequency range.

Laid-back - Not aggressive sounding. Let's say energy in the song is not carried in full force to you.

Any more questions Dr. Amarbir dissecting in the labs? ;)

God ,

That Link You Gave Awesome .Let Me Get Back To You On This .Some Pending Work Going On .Dissection Still To Be Done ;-)

I had a chance to listen to the A151 and I compared it to another BA IEM called the Sherwood SE-777. The Sherwoods cost a similar amount but were a bit better in almost all departments. :)

The Sherwoods have a similar non BA sound with a thick warm sound signature like the A151.

^ clieOS compared them both and said A151 is better. He even mentioned that there's not much difference between the two, something you and Faheem disagree on. I'd rather trust your ears in this case.

But then, Sherwoods are discontinued and they cost a lot more @ 6650. At that price, I'd rather go for Phonak PFE, which is better than both (even if it means losing the non-BA sound). Like all MEE products, it won't be long before A151 goes for $50 consistently. Under $60 shipped, it would be better value for money than double the cost, but slightly better Sherwood - at least that's my point of view :)

Just to make it clear, I don't see MEE as a great audiophile brand that sets the standards for SQ. It's a brand that takes decent to good sounding OEMs, packs good set of accessories with decent to good build quality and offers at good to great price points. It's the overall package that makes an impression with MEE rather than the sound alone as is the case with brands like Hifiman. It is what it is - a decent value for the price. The fact that I ranked it lower than the PR401 (against which I complained a lot) should be taken into consideration when reading my review. It's not the best under $100, but certainly one of the choices.

^^ Hmm, Pristine Note told me these were going to retail for around 3800 bucks. Will have to check with him. For 6800 its not a great deal anymore.

In any case I did not audition the A151 for more than a few minutes as I wasn't so impressed with it. Like the ceramic IEMs better for their technicalities but the soundstage was too cramped for my liking.

^^ The eBay listing I had linked was one from PristineNote and the price is mentioned as 6.65K. I do remember it to be at a similar pricing right from the beginning because it was one of the first few items listed by Gautam in the eBay shop. If it is available for $79 on eBay and it is slightly better than A151, by all means one can buy Sherwood. But, all I could find was Home audio related links on eBay when I searched for "Sherwood". Can you provide the link where you found it for $79?

On the other hand, if Gautam drops the price tomorrow to 4K like you mentioned, then Sherwood would become more VFM - no doubt about it! :)

I have multiple personalities. I can only say one of the personalities likes (or does not dislike as the case may be) A151 as much (Another side of me likes bass-head Eterna, while still digging the analytical CK10). I think I clearly mentioned which personality it was in the review. Besides, I have not had a chance to compare Sherwoods. I did compare it to PL50 and found PL50 to be better technically. But, I won't say the Sirens are that far apart overall (SE777 is also a Siren based BA - as mentioned in clieOS' review).

Anyways, don't think I've written a review any different from what I usually do. If you find it a bit more positive than what your ears tell you, I'd say it's still less positive than this, this and this - not to count the other reviews ;).

On CC51, everybody who has heard it has ranked it a few notches above A151, so it's not surprising.

Back