Mesh Wifi systems

I can get the Tenda Nova M6 for $180 from US. The Tenda Nova M3 is available for $130. The RBK50 and Deco M5 are way too expensive.

Any idea how much better is the M6 compared to the M3?

The MW6 has Gigabit ethernet and the M3 has regular. For future proofing it i would go for the MW6.

FWIW, a mesh network isn't a cure-all.
A low end mesh setup may actually give you worse results than say 2 good wired APs
If you have the option of using a wired connection to your second (or 3rd if required) AP from the primary, you may actually be better off with a pair of high grade APs

Assuming that I have one router in one floor and 2 re-purposed routers (AP) in one floor each, how would I ensure that the devices are picking the correct AP/router that has the highest speed at that location.

Assuming that I have one router in one floor and 2 re-purposed routers (AP) in one floor each, how would I ensure that the devices are picking the correct AP/router that has the highest speed at that location.
Roaming beween APs is a device dependent feature
It's the network stack on the client device that determines when a signal level is too low for it to seek other available SSIDs -
that threshold may be set at a threshold of -80db or a SnR of 20db but unfortunately, for the most part, is not user editable

With a multi-AP setup, you will need to do a fair amount of hit & trial with the Tx power setting to find the right balance
Bear in mind that with multi APs, less is often better

Set it too high and your end user device may end up seeing high dB levels for the far away AP even when you are close to another AP
Set it too low and you will end up with dark spots between the APs

Also, don't put three APs where two will suffice (same holds good for a mesh network)
Too many APs will only increase the noise floor , esp on the 2.4ghz band

One more thing - and this is mostly anecdotal and based on my personal experience
Most routers except the mid to high end (and very new) models have poor 5ghz radios and tend to drop you to 2.4 band unless you are in very close proximity

I have seen significantly improved 5ghz range with the RBK50 compared to my nighhawk R7000.
Having said that, I have also heard good feedback on the 5ghz range on the newer R7000P from a close colleague
Worth noting though that 2 X R7000P will end up costing more than a RBK50

Last edited:
It's the network stack on the client device that determines when a signal level is too low for it to seek other available SSIDs -
that threshold may be set at a threshold of -80db or a SnR of 20db but unfortunately, for the most part, is not user editable

With a multi-AP setup, you will need to do a fair amount of hit & trial with the Tx power setting to find the right balance

Set it too high and your end user device may end up seeing high dB levels for the far away AP even when you are close to another AP

Also, don't put three APs where two will suffice (same holds good for a mesh network)

One more thing - and this is mostly anecdotal and based on my personal experience
Most routers except the mid to high end (and very new) models have poor 5ghz radios and tend to drop you to 2.4 band unless you are in very close proximity

I have seen significantly improved 5ghz range with the RBK50 compared to my nighhawk R7000.
Having said that, I have also heard good feedback on the 5ghz range on the newer R7000P from a close colleague

OK. Thanks for quick AP 101.

Anybody using Tenda Nova MW3 or Dlink COVR 1202 or Dlink COVR 1203 mesh wi-fi router?

Are they any good? If yes which one?

STICK with NETGEAR! multiple reviews say they are better & you get indian warranty

agree completely, happy with mesh and the RBK50/RBK20 is good! much better than the R7000 i had. Mesh is super reliable and the way forward.
wifi roaming is client dependent but pretty smooth on the ORBI

STICK with NETGEAR! multiple reviews say they are better & you get indian warranty

agree completely, happy with mesh and the RBK50/RBK20 is good! much better than the R7000 i had. Mesh is super reliable and the way forward.
wifi roaming is client dependent but pretty smooth on the ORBI

How does it perform across walls in a three storied building? Do the thick brick walls cause any signal drops?

Moved to a 3 storey house. Is RBK50 still the best deal or are there better options now? Also is it necessary to mount on the ceiling? I do not have a false ceiling so don't want clutter. I assume I will require 3 pieces of this.

Moved to a 3 storey house. Is RBK50 still the best deal or are there better options now? Also is it necessary to mount on the ceiling? I do not have a false ceiling so don't want clutter. I assume I will require 3 pieces of this.

Had bought the RBK50 during the Diwali sale. In a 2000 sq ft house with thick walls the signal strength used to drop quite a bit across rooms. I managed to get only 3-5mbps speed in my hall with the router in the bedroom. Returned it.

Had bought the RBK50 during the Diwali sale. In a 2000 sq ft house with thick walls the signal strength used to drop quite a bit across rooms. I managed to get only 3-5mbps speed in my hall with the router in the bedroom. Returned it.
Actually that reminds me - I too initially had issues with the RBK50
Lil bit of fiddling around on telnet revealed that the devices for India are locked to a very low tx power (20dbm) on the 5ghz band (i think all newer devices conform to the Indian reg cap of 20dbm on the 5ghz band)
Switching regions required running a few command on telnet after which the tx power could be bumped up to 27dbm (or maybe 30) and all was well after that
Have the steps noted down somewhere and can search and post if anyone needs them

Depends on if the walls and esp the ceilings are reinforced concrete
The signal is not particularly good in the vertical plane, esp with RCC in the middle
you may need a 3 device set if you need good speed on all floors

Also, the Orbi is not designed to be ceiling mounted
It is not particularly bad looking so you can get away with putting them in a bookshelf or similar

Hi, After reading about Orbi here in this thread, I'm thinking of getting the RBK50 model, Watched almost all YT Videos and none are Indian homes. The house I want to set up is built at the '90s and need to cover two floors. One Amazon IN review says that his house was build during the '50s and they have the 80-inch wall and RBK50 models work perfectly.

My scenario/requirements are as follows :
The Internet cable is on the ground floor which is outputting from a router and it is situated at the middle of the house - I want RBK50 Router here and just exact same place over at the first floor I intended to place RBK's Satelite, No idea about the thickness of the ceiling, The ground floor wall is 10inch and the first floor wall is 5inch thick.

I can run Lan cable from the satellite router if it too much to ask but I need a steady connection at least 50mbps out of 75mbps (Plan is 80 Mbps) from the satellite, can I do that? I don't need Hi-Speed Wi-Fi Internet all over the house just 5-6 feet from the router all Wi-Fi device will stay and maybe one 5inch wall in between at ground floor where RBK50 Router and one syntax partition at the upper floor where RBK50 satellite.

Now my question Is this RBK50 will work for my situation

Recently i got google mesh system from the BF deals from US. Initially asked my friend to get RBK53(3 pack orbi), but later asked him to return it due to recent buggy firmware(s) which causing device failure for some people. So its going to be an issue for warranty replacement, being in India. Based on all the mesh systems review, i felt google seems to be safe bet with proper firmware updates. I stay in two BHK, and my existing asus ac56u coverage is around 90%. Apart from decent wifi coverage, my main requirement is to have Ethernet connection in one of the room , but i cannot run cable from living room where asus is connected to airtel 300mbps line. With this mesh system, ethernet requirement is solved. But the speed from 2nd wifi node is not crossing 100 mbps :( I thought, it will give around 250mbps since the distance between main node and 2nd node is around 10 feet only. Another issue, most of the time devices, remain connected to farthest node through 2.4G instead of nearest node's 5G.

Recently i got google mesh system from the BF deals from US. Initially asked my friend to get RBK53(3 pack orbi), but later asked him to return it due to recent buggy firmware(s) which causing device failure for some people. So its going to be an issue for warranty replacement, being in India. Based on all the mesh systems review, i felt google seems to be safe bet with proper firmware updates. I stay in two BHK, and my existing asus ac56u coverage is around 90%. Apart from decent wifi coverage, my main requirement is to have Ethernet connection in one of the room , but i cannot run cable from living room where asus is connected to airtel 300mbps line. With this mesh system, ethernet requirement is solved. But the speed from 2nd wifi node is not crossing 100 mbps :( I thought, it will give around 250mbps since the distance between main node and 2nd node is around 10 feet only. Another issue, most of the time devices, remain connected to farthest node through 2.4G instead of nearest node's 5G.

I am probably in same situation as you. My current router is some cheap TPLink ISP provided (local ISP) and it does work but many a times it drops connection, speed becomes less and such. In US, I have the TMobile Cellspot router (read specs here). It is rebranded ASUS RT86U router (flipkart link). I intend to bring this router with me when I come back to India and use it at my home in Mumbai. Do you think this router will suffice at my home (3 BHK) ? I intend to have additional 1-2 TVs in bedroom(s) and set them up with Fire Stick for streaming.
Or will I need Mesh system, in which case I can try to get something from US when a deal comes and I am there itself (but before black friday as I would be back before that).

Coverage depends on your router placement... if its in center of the house, then ideally RT86U should easily cover 3BHK house and its a good router overall. So i dont think you should get mesh systems unless you get good deals on it. As i mentioned in my post, my main requirement was to have Ethernet connection in another room(VMWare and wdmycloud requirement), So mesh system was must for me.

Overall i'm happy with this mesh system except the half speed issue when i connect to secondary node(100 mbps vs 300mbps with main node).

Coverage depends on your router placement... if its in center of the house, then ideally RT86U should easily cover 3BHK house and its a good router overall. So i dont think you should get mesh systems unless you get good deals on it. As i mentioned in my post, my main requirement was to have Ethernet connection in another room(VMWare and wdmycloud requirement), So mesh system was must for me.

Overall i'm happy with this mesh system except the half speed issue when i connect to secondary node(100 mbps vs 300mbps with main node).

So how do you get ethernet in another room now ? Does one of the mesh system satellite device have an ethernet out connection?

Have you ever considered Powerline adapters ? Do they even work in Indian homes ?

Does one of the mesh system satellite device have an ethernet out connection?
Almost all the mesh based systems has at least two ethernet port in all the nodes.

Have you ever considered Powerline adapters ? Do they even work in Indian homes ?
I didn't consider it now, but in past i did and tried to collect info over internet...definitely its not very reliable technology. Again its depends on your house wiring and if your rooms are separated by different phases(3-phase), then most likely it wont work. Overall at that point of time, i felt its risky expenditure.

Actually that reminds me - I too initially had issues with the RBK50
Lil bit of fiddling around on telnet revealed that the devices for India are locked to a very low tx power (20dbm) on the 5ghz band (i think all newer devices conform to the Indian reg cap of 20dbm on the 5ghz band)
Switching regions required running a few command on telnet after which the tx power could be bumped up to 27dbm (or maybe 30) and all was well after that
Have the steps noted down somewhere and can search and post if anyone needs them

please do share!

please do share!
Telnet to the router
artmtd is the command
artmtd -r region will return the current region code (should be IN)

artmtd -w region NA will change region to North America (or if I rmemebr correctly, you can use WW to set as fully unlocked global )

then check with iwlist txpower to see what the new TX power limit is - For me, I had to a do a full reset after the region change before the settings got fully commited

Just a small doubt, I had created a makeshift mesh long back using 2 wireless routers by setting them on same SSID and channel. It used to work well if your devices are static, however there was major drawback with mobile devices with real time processes like Whatsapp calling, etc that the connection used to break temporarily when phone switched from one router to another dropping the call. Wifi switching between stations wasn't really seamless. Does Mesh technology fixes it? Or its still the same?

Back